Dress Code

I thought the Thai faculty had to quit right at age 60, or the farang did, but as you say, if they want you, they'll figure a way.

Met a bloke in my travels who was over 60, and he said...that the method of cash reimbursement....didn't exactly go through all the regular accounts.

Many thanks for the replies.

Is anyone aware of regulations set down by the Ministry of Education. The impression I have is that there are regs, but schools can interpret them as they wish.

Scott, the Friday sport shirt is interesting. I've heard from other teachers that on Fridays, they are encouraged to wear 'traditional' dress. In Chiang Rai, I'm told Friday is for purple shirts. can anyone expand on this?

My school requests that we wear the King's shirt on Mondays and Wednesdays, Trditional Lanna on Fridays and even that is not very strict, i'm sure you could get away with wearing the King's yellow shirt everyday and get away with it.

tutsiwarrior, that's a good post (assuming it was serious). I came here at age 60, with a full blond head and ponytail. Looking professional at all times helped, in the interviews, especially. Having original degree (BA) helped, and fresh out of TEFL school, and acting professionally.

Still, there is age discrimination. Thais retire at age 60, and they assume we've run out of gas. Until they hear that you only miss work when you crash your sportsbike. :o

serious???...moi?...has anyone on TV ever accused me of being anything but? (excuse the hanging participle...ah knows ah's english teacher material...)

:D I have worn a moustache since I was 12 .... already have to trim it down from the nose quite a bit to Scuba .. to keep a good fit on the mask) .... just don't see me teching here if I had to shave it all the way off :D The rest is doable ... shirt and tie never has bothered me :o and i like nice shoes :D

idinasia a moustache since the age of 12 - how did the boys react to this when you were out on a date? It makes one wonder if this common to all the females in your family how did you cope with the constant cross dressing questions.

Response posted in jest!!

Many thanks for all your responses. The story ended up going in a slightly different direction to the original plan, but then, don't they all. Anyway, the piece will be in the Learning Post on July 4.

Now button up that collar.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Sorry if i'm hijacking this thread but I just wanted to ask about tattoo's and teaching, I've only a couple of small tattoos that are on my upper arms so would always be hidden from view, but am considering a small wording on my lower forearm in thai, would this be a 'black mark' against me should I choose to get into teaching in thailand?

Apart from that, I like to think I'm both very well presented, clean shaven and polite

glenbat, so long as you're wearing full length shirts, it wouldn't be seen. But on sports days, the yellow polo shirts for the King's Day, some traditional Lanna shirts, etc. - you'd show the tatoo. My guess is that they wouldn't see it in your interview, and if it's a right proper statement in Thai ("I respect my parents"), and very small, it might work.

Tattoos are NOT considered conservative or respectable, and Thai teachers place the highest premium on conservativism and respectability of any group I've yet to meet in Thailand (that doesn't mean they're necessarily respectable all the time, but they pay big lip service to it). If I had a tattoo I would never, ever let other teachers or students see it or find out about it.

There is a fashion in tattoos now among the young middle class (usually a small abstract design on one shoulder) but in general they are associated with gang activity and criminality.

• 2 weeks later...

true, but not always the case. i worked at a well known school in nakhonratchasima and i have several tattoos, 2 of them rather large. i had the boss look at my tattoos before i signed a contract and asked if it was going to be a problem. i am female, had to wear a skirt and i have a large tattoo on my calf, very visable. they said we could try and see how it worked.

never had a problem. the thai teachers showed me their tattoos in private and all the boys thought i was very cool. so its hit and miss. i found having tattoos in thailand made it easy for me to start conversations and meet people, but thats just me.

• 1 year later...

Hello hello !

But what is the dress code for a girl ? Always, always skirt or is it ok sometimes for trousers ? The skirt just below the knee or totally down to the ankles ? What kind of shirt ? Sandals (I mean not the flip-flop kind) possible ?

I'm beginning to teach French in 3 weeks and I'm rather lost at what I should wear... :o

Hello hello !

But what is the dress code for a girl ? Always, always skirt or is it ok sometimes for trousers ? The skirt just below the knee or totally down to the ankles ? What kind of shirt ? Sandals (I mean not the flip-flop kind) possible ?

I'm beginning to teach French in 3 weeks and I'm rather lost at what I should wear... :o

Why not check with someone at the school?

While this is definitely out of my area, I'd start out a little on the conservative side and you can always loosen things up once you have a better feel for the place.

Good luck!

Hi Thulemin!

I agree with pp to ask the school what their requirements are.

We are very lucky in our school that the Falang teachers, male or female, wear our company uniform, which is a bright red polo tshirt with our logo, and then black pants and shoes. This makes it very easy in the mornings!

I do make the effort to be well groomed, as it is clear that the Thai teachers do the same. (However one lesson in, I may as well not have bothered!!)

I am interested to learn from my school the regulations on hair. A lot of the Thai teachers seem to wear theirs down (way too hot for me!) and the others in a bun or neat ponytail. I am hoping to wear mine in bunches or pigtails on my K teaching days, but will check with them first, as it really does feel that little things like that really do matter!!