Thai Immigration: Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

they dont want people in that category LIVING FULL TIME in thailand! if they did, they would offer them a visa to that effect or lower the age on the retirement option.

Obviously they aren't likely to do that, since most people under 50 are still working, and they usually have other options for visas... I don't think it would be as much of a problem for the few people under 50 who are living here and not employed, if it weren't for all the people working on tourist visas. Personally, the end of last year was the first time I've had visa issues...

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the OP in this thread and Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon appear to disagree with you, so I guess if you want to argue about it, you would need to take that up with him....

Immigration officials have long expressed concerns that the visa runs are being abused by foreigners who are working illegally in Thailand as language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides. Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon told Spectrum that if foreigners wanted to retire, work or do business in Thailand they had to apply for the correct type of visa and not exploit those designated for tourist

You are quoting (and hiding behind) meaningless officialdom. I am not working illegally. That someone else is shouldn't affect everyone else in such an arbitrary manner.

They will never get rid of all the people who work illegally because no matter how many they deport there will always be someone else waiting to take their place, the penalty (deportation) is a minor inconvenience to anyone who's caught. The correct and logical approach to this issue would be to go after the companies who employ illegal immigrants.

This is the approach they take in the UK. If a company is caught employing someone without the correct documentation it's a maximum 20,000 pounds (1 Million Baht) fine and from what I've heard the maximum fine is the default amount that you have to pay, so lots of people have had their business destroyed / bankrupted by employing illegal immigrants. I suspect that action like this would spur a lot of people into action to ensure their employees have the correct documentation. A one million Baht fine would be quite a deterrent.

The fact that they aren't going after companies and people who employ people without work permits shows that the real reason behind this has nothing to do with enforcing the law.

How many of the wealthy Thai's employ staff in their houses who are from other countries and I wonder do they all have the correct documentation ?

Quite correct.

One cannot get a work permit without a company sponsor, so not chasing the companies proves this has nothing to do with stopping illegal work.

• Like 1

Having a tourist visa does not make you into a genuine tourist. If you're spending the majority of the time in Thailand that is what you are doing, LIVING in Thailand

And what's wrong with doing that as long as you aren't working illegally, doing anything dodgy / criminal or up to no good?

If someone has the means to support themselves without taking anything from Thailand (benefits etc) or depriving locals of work then what harm are they doing?

People keep talking about how people have for too long been breaking the rules and exploiting loopholes but the fact is they weren't breaking the rules as this was perfectly acceptable and allowed by Thai immigration themselves - again assuming they were NOT working or doing anything they should not have been.

Another thing Thailand doesn't realize it has more online start ups / internet marketers / online entrepreneurs than just about anywhere else in the world and they are starting to make it difficult for these people to stay here.

Sure in the grand scale of things it might not make much difference to the over all economy but if they had half a clue they'd copy Chile's strategy who are encouraging foreign start up companies and online entrepreneuers to relocate their giving them long stay visas (1 year) access to start up funds ($40k of equity free seed capital) and access to business networks.

They plan to turn this into a $1 Billion industry.

http://www.startupchile.org/about/

Mean while Thailand is trying to get rid of a lot of people who come here long term and spend money and aren't actually doing anything wrong.

Of course, if you were getting famous for being a country where illegals, terrorists and traffickers hang out regularly to wash their cash, you might want to tighten up...

• Like 1

they dont want people in that category LIVING FULL TIME in thailand! if they did, they would offer them a visa to that effect or lower the age on the retirement option.

Obviously they aren't likely to do that, since most people under 50 are still working, and they usually have other options for visas... I don't think it would be as much of a problem for the few people under 50 who are living here and not employed, if it weren't for all the people working on tourist visas. Personally, the end of last year was the first time I've had visa issues...

if they "usually" had other options so many of them wouldnt be doing the 30 or 15 day border runs.

• Like 1

Having a tourist visa does not make you into a genuine tourist. If you're spending the majority of the time in Thailand that is what you are doing, LIVING in Thailand

And what's wrong with doing that as long as you aren't working illegally, doing anything dodgy / criminal or up to no good?

If someone has the means to support themselves without taking anything from Thailand (benefits etc) or depriving locals of work then what harm are they doing?

People keep talking about how people have for too long been breaking the rules and exploiting loopholes but the fact is they weren't breaking the rules as this was perfectly acceptable and allowed by Thai immigration themselves - again assuming they were NOT working or doing anything they should not have been.

Another thing Thailand doesn't realize it has more online start ups / internet marketers / online entrepreneurs than just about anywhere else in the world and they are starting to make it difficult for these people to stay here.

Sure in the grand scale of things it might not make much difference to the over all economy but if they had half a clue they'd copy Chile's strategy who are encouraging foreign start up companies and online entrepreneuers to relocate their giving them long stay visas (1 year) access to start up funds ($40k of equity free seed capital) and access to business networks.

Mean while Thailand is trying to get rid of a lot of people who come here long term and spend money and aren't actually doing anything wrong.

Of course, if you were getting famous for being a country where illegals, terrorists and traffickers hang out regularly to wash their cash, you might want to tighten up...

You mean - One rule of "us" and one rule for "them"?

You mean - One rule of "us" and one rule for "them"?

Well I somehow this push is really aimed at John smith taking an extended holiday for a few months in the winter from the UK, or Ingemar the Norwegian escaping the winter.

Immigration in Thailand is a joke, and they have little influence away from the border. I doubt this has anything to do with stopping Svetlana selling condos but it probably has a lot to do with svetlanas boss laundering his cash.

Last week they busted a boiler room, they are pushing the Russians hard and unfortunately, they are going to use immigration sledge hammer to crack this but because the police are utterly corrupt.

I wouldn't be surprised that the ring behind the smuggling of the people onto the Malaysia plane have been pulled in and it seems that there are passports flying all over the place with dozens of repeat visas being used to smuggle people around.

I can honestly believe that various embassies have bitched at the utter lack of control of illegal tourists and trafficking and the most obvious problem has been identified at the repeated granting of tourist visas .

They aren't doing this to clean up illegal workers, they are doing this to really clean up the really dodgy traffickers, drugs smugglers, money launderers and undesirables running around the country.

if they "usually" had other options so many of them wouldnt be doing the 30 or 15 day border runs.

I don't really understand... Before you were supporting stricter enforcement of visa rules, and now you're saying that the foreigners seemed to have no other option but visa runs...? Obviously you could get a tourist visa instead of multiple border run stamps. And if the Thai officials are correct that a large percentage of the people doing border runs are working here, there would usually be the option of a B visa/work permit I assume. For the record, I'm not against the purpose of the regulations, but I think they're taking them too far.

I don't really understand... Before you were supporting stricter enforcement of visa rules, and now you're saying that the foreigners seemed to have no other option but visa runs...? Obviously you could get a tourist visa instead of multiple border run stamps. And if the Thai officials are correct that a large percentage of the people doing border runs are working here, there would usually be the option of a B visa/work permit I assume. For the record, I'm not against the purpose of the regulations, but I think they're taking them too far.

There are not thousands of westerners working illegally in Thailand. I just don't beleive it.

• Like 1

I am talking about FULL TIME in thailand. The tourist visa cannot provide this and many of these folks would not qualify to get a work permit . If they qualify, good on em and let them get the proper visa. Their only means of staying in thailand is border runs and thailand has said they dont want these folks to live in thailand full time so they are removing the opportunity.

I am talking about FULL TIME in thailand. The tourist visa cannot provide this and many of these folks would not qualify to get a work permit . If they qualify, good on em and let them get the proper visa. Their only means of staying in thailand is border runs and thailand has said they dont want these folks to live in thailand full time so they are removing the opportunity.

You used to be able to stay quite a while on tourist visas... as of the beginning of this year you were allowed four in a row - if double entry, that's about two years, but I don't know what it's like at nearby embassies now.

You used to be able to stay quite a while on tourist visas... as of the beginning of this year you were allowed four in a row - if double entry, that's about two years, but I don't know what it's like at nearby embassies now.

that is my point. the government has decided that they dont want people to be able to do that anymore. and i dont blame them. does your home country allow that? I know mine sure doesnt.

There are not thousands of westerners working illegally in Thailand. I just don't beleive it.

Westerners? The restrictions seemed to be aimed at Koreans who by some crazy coincidence have expelled 8000 Thais working illegally in korea

• Like 1

The B visa is for doing business in Thailand. I fully expect anyone who lives in Thailand full time on a B visa to be included as part of this crack down.

If you travel to the UK every 9 to 12 months you can continue to get an unlimited supply of triple entry tourist visas from the consulates there, I believe it's the same at some consulates in the US as well.

• Like 1

none of this would happen if Thailand had rational program of allowing appropriate people to work in the country.

Now all countries make mistakes with this sort of thing, but Thailand leads the world in unthought out policies and nape-of-the-neck dictums. It would seem that a large number of executive ideas are hatched and decisions made in the gubernatorial khazi.

Westerners? The restrictions seemed to be aimed at Koreans who by some crazy coincidence have expelled 8000 Thais working illegally in korea

How many illegal Koreans u think they might find?

Not many. Where is the story about the Thais getting deported. 8000. Doing what? Please don't say massage services please.

I know, he really changed personalites in mid-stream there, didn't he?

If you travel to the UK every 9 to 12 months you can continue to get an unlimited supply of triple entry tourist visas from the consulates there, I believe it's the same at some consulates in the US as well.

If it's your home country. One used to be able to use consulates in any country, but they are changing this. This year I went to the consulate in Warsaw, and the man was enthusiastically offering me a year tourist visa, knowing I was an American, and then finally at the end he said 'Now, all I need to see your certificate of legal long term residence in Poland.' What a let down :) He then explained, 'Oh, you do need to be a Polish resident to get a tourst visa here.' And, I think that's the way they're all going.

none of this would happen if Thailand had rational program of allowing appropriate people to work in the country.

Now all countries make mistakes with this sort of thing, but Thailand leads the world in unthought out policies and nape-of-the-neck dictums. It would seem that a large number of executive ideas are hatched and decisions made in the gubernatorial khazi.

they have a rational system and you need a work permit. does you country allow anyone to come in and live full time while self employed? mine sure doesnt.

I know, he really changed personalites in mid-stream there, didn't he?

nope

they have a rational system and you need a work permit. does you country allow anyone to come in and live full time while self employed? mine sure doesnt.

Of course Thailand has a standard work permit system. What is doesn't have is a 'let me come along and live and work in Thailand <deleted> visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment
  • Like 2

But if they are working here they ARE doing something illegal / dodgy..
I am all for Thailand enforcing its laws and rules, especially so those that make some sense. But barring people who purely import money and spend it, in an attempt to also bar people who make money here from work, is an inelegant solution.
Tackle the problem of people working illegally directly, not just some vague blanket way.
  • Like 1

Low 1000s.. If you include the guys working online and blogging for small profits etc.. then yeah sure.

But immigration has stated anyone using tourist visas to stay long term here will be subject to this too.. Its not only visa exempt stamps, they have clearly said tourist visas.

But immigration has stated anyone using tourist visas to stay long term here will be subject to this too.. Its not only visa exempt stamps, they have clearly said tourist visas.

Yes, you're right.

I'm going to sign up to the 'Elite Easy Access' program and get a 5 year multiple entry visa so that will take care of me for the next 5 years, no worries, no problems.

No more unwanted trips to Europe and no more 90 day visa runs.

Each entry gives you 1 year and you can come and go as you please. At the end of each year you can extend it for another year by going to immigration and paying the usual 1,900 Baht extension fee.

I'll leave the uncertainty to others.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right.

I'm going to sign up to the 'Elite Easy Access' program and get a 5 year multiple entry visa so that will take care of me for the next 5 years, no worries, no problems.

No more unwanted trips to Europe and no more 90 day visa runs.

Each entry gives you 1 year and you can come and go as you please. At the end of each year you can extend it for another year by going to immigration and paying the usual 1,900 Baht extension fee.

I'll leave the uncertainty to others.

I am considering this option but have two concerns - unless I am mistaken, this does not give any property ownership or working rights, and the true 'intention' of the visa is to allow easy access to wealthy foreigners, when they choose to visit, not to live in the country. If you are within Thai borders more than 180 days per year you are required to register and pay tax on worldwide income. Anyone failing to do so could one day be arrested for tax evasion at point of exit...

Perhaps at airports with special lanes you would get proper service but at land or smaller airports you may get questions about whether you are working illegally if you appear to be living here.

It is not quite worth the 500k to me, extensions are a hassle but cost almost nothing, in comparison. Of course I can say this as I am married (and 50+), but for single people under 50 WP is the only safe option, in my opinion.

If you are within Thai borders more than 180 days per year you are required to register and pay tax on worldwide income. Anyone failing to do so could one day be arrested for tax evasion at point of exit...

I think this part of your message may be wrong. I have always read & understood that Thailand tax service was only interested on money you earn and get IN Thailand, not by example by money you earn abroad and get in your bank in your country.

If you are within Thai borders more than 180 days per year you are required to register and pay tax on worldwide income. Anyone failing to do so could one day be arrested for tax evasion at point of exit...

I think this part of your message may be wrong. I have always read & understood that Thailand tax service was only interested on money you earn and get IN Thailand, not by example by money you earn abroad and get in your bank in your country.

It only applies to income earned and remitted to Thailand during the current financial year, in theory pension income that is remitted directly to Thailand could be deemed taxable as could investment income earned in the same year.

• Like 1

You may be correct, I am by no means an expert on this - I am wading through the posts to find a link which may clear it up.

Besides the income source question, my concern is this - is a person required to have a tax number if they are in the country for longer than 180 days?

Apologies if this is going off-topic but I believe it is relevant to someone considering the different options to get legal...