Thai Immigration: Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

The point is many South Korean nationalities are working for South Korean companies not for Thais so their salary is being paid by Korean owned business, on the other hand there is no such thing as stealing jobs. Russian operated tourism agents exist for the same reasons cause many East European tourists do not trust local agencies (guess why?).

While the number of illegal Cambodian or Myanmar workers are overwhelming there is no point to target developed nations unless you have an agenda. I have been witnessing countless of slavery in rural villages, factories etc. Cambodians illegally working for a thousand baht for whole month. Countless in fact. Why Thai Immigration never attempted to solve illegal slavery from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar? I wouldn’t have commented if I have not been seeing these things with my own eyes for years. Yes fight against to illegal issues but start from the biggest, not the tail.

So if I read you post correctly what your saying is

Mr. Immigration by all means target Korean's, Cambodians, Russian's, Laoations and Burmese who are working illegally, but leave the Westerners alone who are working illegally as we don't want the rules to apply for us and they shouldn't apply cos we are Western ?

• Like 1

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they had introduced new rules I may agree with you about something being draconian, but there are no new rules, the difference between the west and Thailand in this instance is, in the West they typically enforce the rules fully the day they are enacted, where as Thailand enacts the rules and then doesn't enforce them, or enforce them properly from day one.

Come on, you can't possibly think what they're doing is a fair and justified way to go about this. For years now (maybe decades?) even Thai immigration officers have been telling people, "no problem, just get double entry tourist visa, and you can stay long time. no problem!".

Just think what would happen if the US did this towards Mexicans, or if France did this towards African and Middle Easterners. There would be riots in the streets, and a massive outrage by the public.

• Like 1

Joking aside, Thailand certainly is changing, and adopting western standards, good or bad.

Honestly, I'd say they're sticking with the Asian angle quite nicely, as what they're doing is fairly draconian. If a Western govt decided to do a crackdown like this, they'd give notice, have media campaigns, most likely provide a pathway to amnesty and a way to legally apply / stay, etc.

But nope, not Thailand. Just going to straight out deport and blacklist everyone they don't like, no notice, no questions asked. Well, ok then... have fun in three years from now with your media campaigns trying to attract foriengers and tourists again, because the numbers dropped so low.

I think you have not realized that tourists have already shifted to many other South Asian countries. Tourism is already dead and they are at the last resort. Food corners might be looking crowded in shopping centers but souvenir shops are in terrible financial condition and even hotels are offering 50% discount (Business Hotels) . If you name four days transits (Low budget backpackers) as tourist well then you can admit that nothing changed. Situation is already worse than you think.

In the article the Immigration official said about South Korea: “We both have 90-day exemptions for tourist visas..."

If he meant that Thais can get a visa exempt entry to South Korea, that is incorrect. Not for any length of stay.

Actually they can so you are incorrect. It's a reciprocal 90-day visa waiver. I know quite a few Thais that have been to South Korea on such TR visa waivers but the vast majority spent a week or less in the country as they all have jobs to return to or are university students (plus South Korea is pretty expensive!)

Thailand nowadays only extends 90 day visa free privileges to countries that extend it towards Thai citizens meaning they act upon reciprocity. Peru, Argentina, Brazil and South Korea are the 4 countries that receive 90-day waivers for entry to Thailand and similarly, Thais get 90-day waivers when entering those countries.

There are Thai ladies working in Korea who abuse the visa, they are on call 24 hours a day to give massage, I know someone who did this

If you abuse the system what do you expect - no other country will put up with the nonsense of people coming and going as if it is their right to do so. A tourist visa is a tourist visa - not an invitation to stay for ever.

Yeah, except for the entire continent of Europe.

Being a EU citizen as I am I can travel around as much as I want in the EU of course.

But if I stay for more than 3 months in a country by law I must report to the police that I am there.

And if I spend more than 6 months of the year I am (in most countries) required to report myself as a resident to the tax authorities and pay tax in that EU country as any resident must do.

The free travel in the EU is not supposed to be used to relocate yourself to another EU country and avoid paying taxes or avoid becoming a resident.

Tourist visas/visa free travel is not by any sane country considered something which should be used in order to in fact LIVE in a country, which is what you are doing if you're spending the majority of your time there, regardless of how you entered it.

If you LIVE in a country, you should get the proper permission to do so. REGARDLESS of if you're working there or not.

If you do not get that permission then do not be surprised when you have problems because of it.

Edited by Stanley78

Just think what would happen if the US did this towards Mexicans, or if France did this towards African and Middle Easterners. There would be riots in the streets, and a massive outrage by the public.

so your suggesting all the aggrieved farangs should march and protest at the parliament building in BKK ?....one suspects there is a queue already....rolleyes.gif

But you raise a good point, has new's of these new draconian measures have been published in the Thai media ?, any massive outrage by the Thai public in support of the beloved farangs you have heard of ?

One suspects if these moves are going to affect the Thai economy/business the way TV posters are suggesting, surely we would be seeing some backlash in the Thai media from those business owners and the people its affecting, Thai condominium construction companies telling government ministers/departments how this is going to destroy their businesses etc ?

The point is many South Korean nationalities are working for South Korean companies not for Thais so their salary is being paid by Korean owned business, on the other hand there is no such thing as stealing jobs. Russian operated tourism agents exist for the same reasons cause many East European tourists do not trust local agencies (guess why?).

While the number of illegal Cambodian or Myanmar workers are overwhelming there is no point to target developed nations unless you have an agenda. I have been witnessing countless of slavery in rural villages, factories etc. Cambodians illegally working for a thousand baht for whole month. Countless in fact. Why Thai Immigration never attempted to solve illegal slavery from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar? I wouldn’t have commented if I have not been seeing these things with my own eyes for years. Yes fight against to illegal issues but start from the biggest, not the tail.

Mr. Immigration by all means target Korean's, Cambodians, Russian's, Laoations and Burmese who are working illegally, but leave the Westerners alone who are working illegally as we don't want the rules to apply for us and they shouldn't apply cos we are Western ?

I'm not working illegally. It's absurd to buy that line and then argue over it. Thai unemployment is at 1%, that's nothing. This is not about people working illegally, it's a cheap line.

• Like 1

I beg to differ what is slavery what is illegal employment? And what is the point of frankly pointing three nationalities? If somebody is illegally working in EU or even in US, it is not the employee to be challenged but employer gets huge fines to compensate the tax loss.

The main respondent of any imposition of a bad conduct or illegal employment is employer or the company not the employee. Simply you challenge the company and collect all your lost fines and tax.

This is supposed to be regulated by Ministry of Employment or its equivalent not border officers checking tourist visas. Imagine someone worked/profited for twenty years in the kingdom and you just sanction his visa then who would you charge for his 20 yrs tax? This is also a ridiculous lost for country.

If any illegality is noticed, the issue to be transferred to any responsible ministries and court. Then court investigation takes places and taxes and fines are defined and imposed to company. After that if individual is found guilty then he/she received a court order (Leave the country at given time). This is the accepted international law. Not deporting from the border with no inspection? And even black listing in half hour questioning.

What has been reported by Thai Border Agency is not acceptable in international law and genuinely unique like many other things in Thailand.

Edited by Mab

I'm not working illegally. It's absurd to buy that line and then argue over it. Thai unemployment is at 1%, that's nothing. This is not about people working illegally, it's a cheap line.

Well the OP in this thread and Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon appear to disagree with you, so I guess if you want to argue about it, you would need to take that up with him....

Immigration officials have long expressed concerns that the visa runs are being abused by foreigners who are working illegally in Thailand as language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides. Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon told Spectrum that if foreigners wanted to retire, work or do business in Thailand they had to apply for the correct type of visa and not exploit those designated for tourist

If you abuse the system what do you expect - no other country will put up with the nonsense of people coming and going as if it is their right to do so. A tourist visa is a tourist visa - not an invitation to stay for ever.

Yeah, except for the entire continent of Europe.

Being a EU citizen as I am I can travel around as much as I want in the EU of course.

But if I stay for more than 3 months in a country by law I must report to the police that I am there.

And if I spend more than 6 months of the year I am (in most countries) required to report myself as a resident to the tax authorities and pay tax in that EU country as any resident must do.

The free travel in the EU is not supposed to be used to relocate yourself to another EU country and avoid paying taxes or avoid becoming a resident.

Tourist visas/visa free travel is not by any sane country considered something which should be used in order to in fact LIVE in a country, which is what you are doing if you're spending the majority of your time there, regardless of how you entered it.

If you LIVE in a country, you should get the proper permission to do so. REGARDLESS of if you're working there or not.

If you do not get that permission then do not be surprised when you have problems because of it.

Correct.

However, what is interesting you could be your b_alls that the majority of posters crying about the move or criticising the move are the ones that the measures are aimed at - those manipulating the system for their own benefit - nothing to do with what is fair and reasonable when it comes to the laws of the country and the impact it could have on those living here and complying the rules and regulations regarding correct visa's and visa extensions.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

Well the OP in this thread and Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon appear to disagree with you, so I guess if you want to argue about it, you would need to take that up with him....

Immigration officials have long expressed concerns that the visa runs are being abused by foreigners who are working illegally in Thailand as language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides. Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon told Spectrum that if foreigners wanted to retire, work or do business in Thailand they had to apply for the correct type of visa and not exploit those designated for tourist

You are quoting (and hiding behind) meaningless officialdom. I am not working illegally. That someone else is shouldn't affect everyone else in such an arbitrary manner.

I'm surprised so many on here moan about Immigration suggesting they need to have 20'000"baht in their pocket.

That was certainly the complaint from the Russian woman who was rejected yet that sum will not last long in Phuket.

Lots of Russians have bought condos in place like Karon and are now renting them out on sites such as AirBnB.

Hotels hate that site as it offers great accommodation at half their room rates.

Thailand if rife with Farangs working in the tourist sector as diving instructors etc,bar owners, and teachers.

So you think carrying around 20,000 baht in cash is a good idea? Let me know where you are.

• Like 1

Correct.

However, what is interesting you could be your b_alls that the majority of posters crying about the move or criticising the move are the ones that the measures are aimed at - those manipulating the system for their own benefit - nothing to do with what is fair and reasonable when it comes to the laws of the country and the impact it could have on those living here and complying the rules and regulations regarding correct visa's and visa extensions.

Indeed. And there appears to be a sentiment among some people that the problem is that there is no special visa in Thailand which is tailored to their exact financial and personal circumstances and wishes.

Sure maybe I'd love to live for example in Australia. But I have no right to live there and I can't afford the $A5 million investment visa they offer. But I certainly don't think they should make a special visa for "Europeans who have residual income from online businesses and will spend $A10000 a month in the country".

Even if there would be a financial advantage for Australia for me to be there, doesn't mean that the there is something wrong with their immigration policy, simply because of the fact that I can't live there as there is no available visa for me to do so,

The same goes for Thailand and every other country on the planet. It is up to each country to choose which ways they offer for residency by working legally, investing in the country, retirement, marriage, whatever.

There isn't and will never be a visa suited in each and every country for each and every person.

And if there isn't one for you you can either choose to break/"bend" the rules, or find another country where you have permission to LIVE.

Having a tourist visa does not make you into a genuine tourist. If you're spending the majority of the time in Thailand that is what you are doing, LIVING in Thailand.

I'm surprised so many on here moan about Immigration suggesting they need to have 20'000"baht in their pocket.

That was certainly the complaint from the Russian woman who was rejected yet that sum will not last long in Phuket.

Lots of Russians have bought condos in place like Karon and are now renting them out on sites such as AirBnB.

Hotels hate that site as it offers great accommodation at half their room rates.

Thailand if rife with Farangs working in the tourist sector as diving instructors etc,bar owners, and teachers.

So you think carrying around 20,000 baht in cash is a good idea? Let me know where you are.

travellers cheques

So then use a system to catch illegal workers, rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Like 2

Quick question. Say you leave Thailand, and they blacklist you. Does that show up if you pull a criminal background check with the Thai police?

Or since it's immigration law, maybe it wouldn't show up on a criminal background check?

Edited by Nautilus05

Unbelievable that some of the posters here actually support these extrajudicial powers given to the immigration officials, mostly given to junior ones. It invites all sorts of abusive behaviour and mere "suspicion" should be always backed up with evidence and appeal process.

According to the same amazing logic, if your ex-gf goes to police and says you DUI yesterday and then the police gives you a hefty fine and takes away your license without any possibility to present your side of the story, it would be quite OK! Especially if you were not even near your car nor drunk yesterday.

• Like 2

Unbelievable that some of the posters here actually support these extrajudicial powers given to the immigration officials, mostly given to junior ones. It invites all sorts of abusive behaviour and mere "suspicion" should be always backed up with evidence and appeal process.

According to the same amazing logic, if your ex-gf goes to police and says you DUI yesterday and then the police gives you a hefty fine and takes away your license without any possibility to present your side of the story, it would be quite OK! Especially if you were not even near your car nor drunk yesterday.

these powers are no more draconian than the ones given American border officials.

why not make it so people can work and pay taxes?

Because it would take jobs away from Thais.

coffee1.gif

Lots of visa options are given to foreigners already.

Foreigners, of course, have no birth right to live here.

Edited by geoman1976

If someone arrives to Australia with a tourist visa that is not enough to automatically be allowed to enter the country. The immigration officers have a duty to ensure that the person entering on a visa is actually intending to follow the rules of that visa.

That can be done by asking them questions and seeing their response but also by going through their personal belongings (looking for any proof that they are intending to work, such as printed out information about work places etc.) or even looking at their recent e-mails and messages on their phone.

They are completely within their right to do so and in fact that is their job.

Those rights are just as wrong there than here. Tourists are just easy prey for power hungry immigration officials and nobody is standing up for their rights. Canada and USA are another ones with f*cked up nazi officials at the borders.

Australia is going down to toilet anyway. Murdoch owned newspapers and stupid conservative populace voting for idiots like Tony Abbott. Progressive country....HA!

I beg to differ what is slavery what is illegal employment? And what is the point of frankly pointing three nationalities? If somebody is illegally working in EU or even in US, it is not the employee to be challenged but employer gets huge fines to compensate the tax loss.

The main respondent of any imposition of a bad conduct or illegal employment is employer or the company not the employee. Simply you challenge the company and collect all your lost fines and tax.

This is supposed to be regulated by Ministry of Employment or its equivalent not border officers checking tourist visas. Imagine someone worked/profited for twenty years in the kingdom and you just sanction his visa then who would you charge for his 20 yrs tax? This is also a ridiculous lost for country.

If any illegality is noticed, the issue to be transferred to any responsible ministries and court. Then court investigation takes places and taxes and fines are defined and imposed to company. After that if individual is found guilty then he/she received a court order (Leave the country at given time). This is the accepted international law. Not deporting from the border with no inspection? And even black listing in half hour questioning.

What has been reported by Thai Border Agency is not acceptable in international law and genuinely unique like many other things in Thailand.

Not deporting from the border with no inspection? And even black listing in half hour questioning.

What has been reported by Thai Border Agency is not acceptable in international law

Can you direct me to that said international law ?

Actually if you not allowed into a country...your not being deported, your just not allowed in, further "blacklisting" is most likely not the correct term, one suspects "black marking" your name to deny you entry is properly the more correct term

Not sure where you come from but I am sure you have come across Western business's with a sign which says " We reserve the right to refuse service" which basically means provided you are not refusing service on the basis of "basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender and sex. " you can deny someone entry to, or service in that business by the owner usually on the basis of:

When a customer has been, or is being, disruptive

When a customer harasses your employees or other customers

When there are safety concerns

When you know someone can't, or won't, pay

When you need to protect another customer's privacy

The above example comes out of US law, but the rational is the same in all western countries....with me so far ?

Now take this concept " We reserve the right to refuse service" and apply to any immigration department in any country in the world including Thailand, they have the right to refuse "service" i.e. let you into THEIR country or remove you from THEIR country, if they believe they have grounds to do so... e.g. not have the correct paper work appropriate for your reason stated for being in country or cannot comply with the conditions of stay, eg. if you not allowed to work and you work you are now violating the conditions of your stay/visa.

And before anyone jumps in and suggests you are being discriminated against by immigration on the basis "basis of race, color, religion, national origin" no your not...

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Hey genius, did you know that 50% of the material on the internet is printed in English and that English is the OFFICIAL international business language. This means a Saudi company making deals with a Japanese company does so in English. Thai teachers teach so many things completely wrong, in English subjects and in science. Big egos, racism, lack of rsponsibilty, and a falsely embraced nationalistic pride are Thailand's biggest problems. Can you understand the concept of a global economy that drives the Thai economy? Without the farang, Thailand has no economy. The farang bring Thailand up and support it, not the other way around. And let me just ask you this, why do you think Thailand is so great anyways? Ever been elsewhere? I can tell you that you would prefer to live where I am from. People are nicer, more accepting and polite and have better values. not to mention they are actually educated properly.

I will spell it out to you like this. Thai economy=farang go, recession comes, conversely, farang come, recession goes away. Recession comes, jobs go. khao jai mai?

Edited by geoman1976

Those rights are just as wrong there than here. Tourists are just easy prey for power hungry immigration officials and nobody is standing up for their rights. Canada and USA are another ones with f*cked up nazi officials at the borders.

Australia is going down to toilet anyway. Murdoch owned newspapers and stupid conservative populace voting for idiots like Tony Abbott. Progressive country....HA!

My point was that denying entry to people travelling on tourist visas when immigration officials believe may be intending to, or even previously have broken the terms of a tourist visa is considered completely acceptable.

Not just in Thailand but in the entire world. You may disagree with them doing so but it is still a fact.

I for one do not want anyone entering my country without following the rules and laws in place, and so I certainly can't blame Thailand for wanting the same in their country.

these powers are no more draconian than the ones given American border officials.

So, do you also believe that Thailand should start droning everyone as well? Do you believe that Thai banks should crash the world's economy and walk away from it only profiting more for themselves? Very silly excuse.

coffee1.gif

Hey genius, did you know that 50% of the material on the internet is printed in English and that English is the OFFICIAL international business language. This means a Saudi company making deals with a Japanese company does so in English. Thai teachers teach so many things completely wrong, in English subjects and in science. Big egos, racism, lack of rsponsibilty, and a falsely embraced nationalistic pride are Thailand's biggest problems. Can you understand the concept of a global economy that drives the Thai economy? Without the farang, Thailand has no economy. The farang bring Thailand up and support it, not the other way around. And let me just ask you this, why do you think Thailand is so great anyways? Ever been elsewhere? I can tell you that you would prefer to live where I am from. People are nicer, more accepting and polite and have better values. not to mention they are actually educated properly.

I will spell it out to you like this. Thai economy=farang go, recession comes, conversely, farang come, recession goes away. khao jai mai?

so where are you from? where do you live now?

If someone arrives to Australia with a tourist visa that is not enough to automatically be allowed to enter the country. The immigration officers have a duty to ensure that the person entering on a visa is actually intending to follow the rules of that visa.

That can be done by asking them questions and seeing their response but also by going through their personal belongings (looking for any proof that they are intending to work, such as printed out information about work places etc.) or even looking at their recent e-mails and messages on their phone.

They are completely within their right to do so and in fact that is their job.

claim down little man.. yes yes we know the whole world is wrong and ony Timwin is right....rolleyes.gif

If you feel you need to stand up for tourists rights go and burn your bra on the steps of the parliament building in BKK then...where behind you Timwin...make a stand dear boy do it for the tourists...

Edited by Soutpeel

So, do you also believe that Thailand should start droning everyone as well? Do you believe that Thai banks should crash the world's economy and walk away from it only profiting more for themselves? Very silly excuse.

none of my business how thailand decides to regulate its borders. and thai banks is a red herring

• Like 1