Where to buy potatoes/sauces/weetabix/western crisps in Samut Prakan?

Might seem like an odd list of things, but having taken a trip to Big C I've not been able to find any of the above items. That said, I'm sure they must exist where I'm staying, it's just a matter of finding them.

I'm currently living near Theperak Road in Samut Prakan. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to take a trip into Bangkok for these items, but I will if that's the only option (in that case, please recommend somewhere near the Bearing/Bang Na/Udom Suk BTS lines if possible).

I went to the Big C in the Imperial World centre today and they didn't have the above items. I was especially surprised that they didn't have pasta sauce, or sauce that you can put on rice (e.g. sweet and sour sauce). I asked the staff and they said they didn't sell it...I'm not sure whether this was just because it was an easy way to get rid of me without speaking English, but to be fair I never saw it on their shelves.

So I'm looking for:

- Potatoes. Preferably new potatoes...the kind you can stick in a pan with boiling water and cook. But baking potatoes will do as well.

- Pasta sauce, such as bolognaise and tomato and basil. I'd also like to buy some sweet and sour sauce too.

- Weetabix. Big C don't sell it, but somewhere surely must, right? I'm not too fussed about getting the 'official' brand, something that looks and tastes like weetabix will do just fine.

- Western crisps. Basically, salt and vinegar or cheese and onion crisps. Can't find these anywhere, all the crisps seem to be wierd flavours like 'Nori Seaweed'.

Any ideas where I can find this stuff in the Theperak Road/Samrong area?

Im down with the Tesco pasta sauce if it helps any. Its Tesco's own brand from the UK in a big jar for 80B, way better than the Prego stuff in a can from Big C.

Lol .. You wanna buy sweet n sour sauce in Thailand ? Why not go to a restaurant and order a sweet n sour chicken from the menu. Its just Pineapple and vinegar.

Edited by recom273

tops supermarket is your best bet.

- Western crisps. Basically, salt and vinegar or cheese and onion crisps. Can't find these anywhere, all the crisps seem to be wierd flavours like 'Nori Seaweed'.

yes they have this notion to ship consignments of things especially chips bundled in various flavours. so all the popular flavour disappear fast then the store wont restock until all the garbage is gone so you end up with long periods when you cant get the chips you want. anyhow try tatso brand from 7. and when you do see the ones you want empty the self of them before someone else does.

Edited by The byaMemo

There is a tesco local to you .. and here is the Tesco Lotus selection of cereals

The missus picks up new potatoes from Big C ( Not in your direction ) they arent prewashed baby ones - they are always in the cheap bin with the salad .. the locals dont know what to do with them.

Villa do way overpriced walkers crisps so im told.

Edited by recom273

Im down with the Tesco pasta sauce if it helps any. Its Tesco's own brand from the UK in a big jar for 80B, way better than the Prego stuff in a can from Big C.

Lol .. You wanna buy sweet n sour sauce in Thailand ? Why not go to a restaurant and order a sweet n sour chicken from the menu. Its just Pineapple and vinegar.

Cheers for the pasta sauce heads up.

And I want to buy sweet and sour sauce so I can cook chicken+rice with sauce at home. Don't fancy going to a restaurant every night and I live quite far out from most restaurants anyway.

So you go half way around the world and can't find your favourite brand of crisps? I don't often say go back home.... maye you should learn to cook and make your own stuff.

I am prepared to cook my own food, but I don't think wanting a few western things is bad. Stuff like the crisps and the chocolate really do taste better from the west and it's not even close. The thai crisps are disgusting, sorry but they are. The only edible ones are Lays original flavour but I don't want to eat those all the time.

There is a tesco local to you .. and here is the Tesco Lotus selection of cereals

The missus picks up new potatoes from Big C ( Not in your direction ) they arent prewashed baby ones - they are always in the cheap bin with the salad .. the locals dont know what to do with them.

Villa do way overpriced walkers crisps so im told.

Cheers for the info.

I hear you on the sweet n sour .. anything i have had here isnt a patch on a chinese back home or a jar of homepride.

if they only got Lays left i do without.

Really ? I must have been here too long. I dont do the clam / seaweed or squid ones tho' .. rotten.

Edited by recom273

Foodland Srinakharin isn't as good as it's counterparts down town IMO.

TOPS at Central Bang Na sometimes has some decent goodies and is your best bet.

Tesco at On Nut has a reasonable amount of 'own brand' goods in stock most of the time.

As for crisps the only place I've seen stock UK brands is Villa (Soi 11 branch is the best of late) who sporadically have Walkers

this is salt and sour Tasto-SaltSour.jpgi go for the crinkle cut, also the plain original (salt) flavour of the same brand (attached). these are about the only one i will eat.

ok in desperation when the drought has been too long i might try a single barbecue packet or an alaskan crab to tide me over.

post-209685-0-64600500-1400425197.jpg

Edited by The byaMemo

Pasta sauces - Foodland Sri Nakarin, Villa market (Paradise Mall on Sri Nakarin)

Potatoes - Tesco Sri Nakarin, Tesco (Seacon Square, Sri Nakarin)

Weetabix - Foodland, Tesco, Villa Market

Western crisps - Villa Market

Tesco usually has chipping/baking potatoes and sometimes (if you are lucky) they have new potatoes.

Foodland have potatoes but these come in a pack of 2 or 3 potatoes and they are well overpriced.

Villa Market is well worth a look, the prices are high but their selection of fresh veggies is great.

Where on Theparak are you and how long have you been in the area?

I have lived on Theparak for 14 years, so I may be able to offer you the occasional heads up.

tastos: while we are on this chips bit, if the long term trend continues as they have been, shouldnt be too much longer before you get just a single chip in the 5 baht pack. but they dont hide it, they keep writing the ever reducing gram weight contents on the packet. packet stays the same size for the price though. but they introduce newer bigger packets with more content which too decrease overtime but the price stays the same as when introduced.

Edited by The byaMemo