advice needed

Hi all,

I have lived in Thailand for over 6 years and have been working legally since arriving. I lost my job at the end of February this year and had to change my visa status from Non B to tourist (i got a double entry from Laos). Also finding a new job is proving very difficult. I receive money from pensions i receive from the UK (about 20,000 baht per month), I am 43 years old.

The reason I stay in Thailand is I have a 5 year old son here (he was born here). My ex who is Singaporean (we were never married) has stage 2 cervical cancer and undergoing treatment (she lives here with her family), my son lives with me. He goes to school here and has never been out of the country.

My current girlfriend (who is from the Philippines and working here) and I are expecting a baby in December, we are registered at Sukhumvit hospital.

With the upcoming immigration changes, what am I able to do? Is there a visa I can apply for that can allow me to stay without this worry?

Many thanks

Bit of a mess.
You might qualify for this if you have the money:

2.11 In the case of a family member of an alien who has been permitted to stay temporarily in Thailand for study in an educational institution as set out in clauses 2.8 or 2.9 (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted child or the child of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) Proof of family relationship;
(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the application.

Or you can enrol in a Thai Language school and get an Education Visa.

I really wish you the best in your situation and hope that everything works out for you somehow.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you but hopefully some of the more extreme visa experts here have some advice for you.

God's speed!

• Like 1

I'm just wondering, what nationality does your child have? Do children born in Thailand become Thai nationals at birth if requested, or must one or even both parents be Thai?

I don't know, I'm all for tight immigration policies but children are innocent and do not choose where they are born and you can hardly be expected to be forced to give up taking care of him because of visa regulations.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm just wondering, what nationality does your child have? Do children born in Thailand become Thai nationals at birth if requested, or must one or even both parents be Thai?

I don't know, I'm all for tight immigration policies but children are innocent and do not choose where they are born and you can hardly be expected to be forced to give up taking care of him because of visa regulations.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

My son is Singaporean....at the time we were asked if we wanted him to be registered as a Thai citizen but my ex wanted him registered as a Singaporean.. it is very frustrating for me as leaving Thailand is not really an option at this time, my son visits his mum in hospital every weekend which is good for both of them, it helps her cope with her treatment.... there has to be something because if immigration dig their heels in and refuse entry, firstly how devastating for my son to not only be without his mum but also his father and secondly my girlfriend would have to stop working to look after my son, which might mean her losing her visa status....

Edited by chappie1207

My son is Singaporean....at the time we were asked if we wanted him to be registered as a Thai citizen but my ex wanted him registered as a Singaporean..

Okay. Well things are of course much more complicated since you are no longer together with the mother of your child. Which most likely rules out any chance of the three of you relocating to Singapore as a solution.

Let's hope someone has some good ideas for you, otherwise the only advice given so far is to get an ED visa. But that is hardly a solution for life unfortunately.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. This might sound silly but have you told immigration about your circumstances and asked them what your options are? As I said surely you cannot be expected to abandon your child. But maybe they expect you to "simply" move to your country or Singapore.

Edited by Stanley78

Your child does not qualify for Thai citizenship from birth here unless you wife has permanent residency here.

Your only option you have is the extension of stay that you can get is the one based upon your child attending school that was posted earlier. There are no others that you can get based upon your child.

You could possibly get a multiple entry non-o visa in the UK based upon your child attending school.

• Like 2