Grenade ‘meant for prosecutor’

geovalin

The deputy prosecutor of Kampong Thom province went into hiding yesterday after an unidentified attacker threw a grenade into his house on Saturday evening, damaging property but causing no injuries.

Say Nora, who was not at home when the attack occurred, said the attempt on his life followed the arrest of 11 members of an illegal logging syndicate.

“It is a serious threat against my life, but I practised my duty to serve the interests of the nation,” he said. “The criminals and black marketeers are furious with us. A grenade is not a knife . . . for sure it was an attempt to kill me.”

Heng Bona, Kampong Rotie commune chief, said no suspects had yet been identified.

Ith Sothea, chief provincial prosecutor, said the threats and intimidation started after he took over the post earlier this month and ordered his staff to arrest illegal loggers.

“Our actions affect their interests and profits, so they did this to threaten us to stop taking action against them,” he said.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/grenade-%E2%80%98meant-prosecutor%E2%80%99

phnom_penh_post.png