Expats and boredom.

davo2212

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A book I read suggests people who are less selfish and do charity work are on the whole far more happy than their counterparts slaving away for more money.
They found 70%of those judged unselfish seemed happy, 95%of those judged selfish seemed unhappy.
I belong to a charity group and find this generaly to be true.

I see many expats who have nothing to do but drink and shoot the shit, and argue about things that don't matter. No matter where you live, you'll find the same. I live in a small village, and have many expat friends in the area, and many are the same. My advice is to not live in a small village, but in a city large enough to entertain yourself when you're bored of the stupidity of retirees who have decided to do nothing but complain and give expert advice about stuff they know nothing about.

Much of that stupidity is seen in comments on this blog.

There is plenty to do in Thailand to keep from getting bored, I play golf, take care of a very large vegetable garden, unofficially teach conversational English at the local schools. and travel around Thailand to see the same-same-but-different cities.

Come to Thailand with the attitude of making a new life, gaining new hobbies, and new friends - you'll never be board. But, come to Thailand with the attitude of leaving behind all your old customs and ways of doing things, and with the position of blending into the Thai culture, and doing stuff the way Thais do. Don't be a complainer, instead, learn to adapt to the Thai way.

Good luck....

• Like 1

Per post #63 above -- My first extended trips to Thailand before moving were as a skilled volunteer at a Thai NGO under auspices of HM The King. I later formed my own US-based NGO that deals with legal issues affecting disadvantaged populations both in USA and internationally through UN Geneva.

... but Jimmy says it pretty well (hit it!)

Edited by JLCrab

i think in ''my case'' im bored a bit as i am streched out financially,if i had a few more dollars i would travel more,as i know bordeom sets in with complacancy, but also i know there is a sense of comfort with familiarity.i now have a new born(4days old ,and my first,i am 58),and it is my new love and hobby,i just ordered a new jeep brand stroller,very excited,also i need to be near the ocean,i find when you live near(and i mean with in walking distance)you always have a place to go.either for a walk or just to hang...

Loads of alternatives to becoming a borderline functioning alcoholic as many do.I did around the 7 year mark, then one day realised I was missing out, getting even more bored, getting fat and unhealthy and surrounded by mostly bored people with nothing else to do.

Get into fitness

Rescue a dog and take it out

Diving/ swimming/Snorkelling

Gardening

Books/Art

Cycling

Volunteer work

Main tourist Beaches for some quality entertainment

Golf

Explore the country by Motorbike or Car, finding some cool resorts(cheap on the way)

Learn to cook always a challenge with different supplies in season

Pre book Air asia flights, for short breaks well in advance cost's very little

Good list!...I will add taking Thai classes or any other classes to meet quality people....and live away of busy tourist and people's "polluted" areas...

Edited by umbanda

i think in ''my case'' im bored a bit as i am streched out financially,if i had a few more dollars i would travel more,as i know bordeom sets in with complacancy, but also i know there is a sense of comfort with familiarity.i now have a new born(4days old ,and my first,i am 58),and it is my new love and hobby,i just ordered a new jeep brand stroller,very excited,also i need to be near the ocean,i find when you live near(and i mean with in walking distance)you always have a place to go.either for a walk or just to hang...

A 4 years old kid? Congrats!!!! I always remember the good times I had when my kids were at that age....Priceless!!!!

Thanks charlie. Can I ask what part of Thailand

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem, its on my profile, I am up in Phetchabun, 5 hrs North of Bangkok in Central Thailand.

That is a lovely province. I have fond memories of going there with the TGF many years ago we stayed in town at a hotel for 308 baht yes to be exact and had the lovely "Gai Manao" which I think you can only get in PB. Also stayed at a lovely resort in the sticks, can see why you love it there good luck I hope I can do the same again soon.

I see many expats who have nothing to do but drink and shoot the shit, and argue about things that don't matter. No matter where you live, you'll find the same. I live in a small village, and have many expat friends in the area, and many are the same. My advice is to not live in a small village, but in a city large enough to entertain yourself when you're bored of the stupidity of retirees who have decided to do nothing but complain and give expert advice about stuff they know nothing about.

Much of that stupidity is seen in comments on this blog.

There is plenty to do in Thailand to keep from getting bored, I play golf, take care of a very large vegetable garden, unofficially teach conversational English at the local schools. and travel around Thailand to see the same-same-but-different cities.

Come to Thailand with the attitude of making a new life, gaining new hobbies, and new friends - you'll never be board. But, come to Thailand with the attitude of leaving behind all your old customs and ways of doing things, and with the position of blending into the Thai culture, and doing stuff the way Thais do. Don't be a complainer, instead, learn to adapt to the Thai way.

Good luck....

Right on! The first year I when lived in old town Chiang Mai, I spent a lot of time exploring the surrounding country looking for a bigger house at half the rent. Marrying a Thai woman and having a farm in the country is not me. I agree with what you clearly stated in your first sentence. So I stayed in the old city, found a place where I could landscape the property - bought plants and trees, statues, put in fountains and turned a brown quarter acre into a paradise in the heart of the city. I'm sitting here looking out at my fish pond and the big Buddha statue over there past the grass lawn. Lovely. In the meantime I wrote five novels, learned how to speak get by Thai, and traveled all over the country. Bottom line = We create our own reality.

People are bored because they are looking outside themselves for enjoyment and satisfaction, become happy with yourself and never be bored again. This will also help you to be less judgemental of your fella expats and the lifestyle they have chosen especially if it doesn't affect you

• Like 2

I had a prof back when who said something that stuck with me: "Boredom is the legacy of fear". Fear of change? Trying something new? Who cares if you are good at it, pick up a hobby that entails some creativity (drinking isn't one of those for me, btw!). For me it is guitar. Been playing for decades, but always room for improvement. Now that I have new computer just starting getting into recording. That has broad vistas of potential combos of noise. Exercise of some sort is essential. I walk twice a day, about an hour each time. See a group of friends at end of walk (not at a bar.... bars just give me saddness). Read. Write. I enjoy the cyber community of Thai Visa. Try to be not tooo judgemental of others, just accept people and just figure it is part of the parade of life. All this too shall pass.

Steer well clear of any groups of expats, in my experience they allplay the one-upmanship game. There is always one who knows it all and done it all. Most are piss-heads and pass there day drowning in there own glory.

Walk into any bar in the main tourist areas and you'll see them.

Thats precisely why I live in a small village where there arent any !

Excellent advice Charlie.....I couldn't agree more. I lived in a small village....it was very nice...now I live in a larger metropolis....yuck....I just bought some land in the country and will build a house....there are no neighbors.....just the temple on top of the mountain.

...and Davo.....I will not speak for anyone other than myself and my own personal experience here in Thailand.....

I believe it is very challenging to live in Thailand mainly because it is quite boring.....I find that even for the thai people, they lack diversity in their lives. But Thailand does not offer a lot of diversity. So your biggest chanllenge (if you are a person who likes to keep busy with 'things' that interests you) is finding things to stay busy with. However if you are a mindless twit who does not desire more than sipping a beer or tea and watch life pass you by....Thailand is the place for you. You can spend your time working....and if this alone sustains your personal interest....then welcome to a lower cost of living. However, if you truly want more out of life....find a job in any country that can sustain you....and spend most of your free time traveling the world.

People are bored because they are looking outside themselves for enjoyment and satisfaction, become happy with yourself and never be bored again. This will also help you to be less judgemental of your fella expats and the lifestyle they have chosen especially if it doesn't affect you

Geez...that sounded judgemental. But it does sound like a nice goal ;-)

I live in an upcoming area in the province of Loei,

To not get bored i designed and built a B&B or chambres et tables d'hotes.

Nor a dull moment and naturally a few angers and frustrations here and there.

I can assure you do something that keeps you busy other than a beer i mean.

Wish you all luck !

Cure for boredom - get a TGF/partner/wife and study understanding their thought processes.

Cure for Alzheimer's - shower with, rinse and repeat as above.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You know it is rather sad that a lot of retirees pass away suddenly within six months of retirement.

It's true. You can google it.

nuff said

~

I guess I'm doing OK then, I retired 12 years ago.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You know it is rather sad that a lot of retirees pass away suddenly within six months of retirement.

nuff said

~

Well, good on ya, as the Aussies say.

Sociologists call it "cart horse syndrome" where, after 50+ years of work, the harness is taken off and a green pasture is in the offing, but the poor old thing withers and dies despite all efforts of friends and loved ones.

It is a comment on the false values and soul crushing nature of western society IMHO.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

nuff said

~

Sociologists call it "cart horse syndrome" where, after 50+ years of work, the harness is taken off and a green pasture is in the offing, but the poor old thing withers and dies despite all efforts of friends and loved ones.

It is a comment on the false values and soul crushing nature of western society IMHO.

'nuff said

~

it is also age specific,

I retired, very well off at 40, and spent the next 14 years partying, spending, traveling, etc.,

now at 54, I am a lot less rich, pretty tired, and bored beyond belief

nuff said

~

'nuff said

~

it is also age specific,

I retired, very well off at 40, and spent the next 14 years partying, spending, traveling, etc.,

now at 54, I am a lot less rich, pretty tired, and bored beyond belief

Some people are just too young/mentally unready for retirement.

Don't listen to these guys who tell you they aren't bored.

Why else do you think we spend time on ThaiVisa?

Personally, as I don't know any farangs ( I don't think there are many if any ) where I live, and I'm not into bars/ drinking/ restaurant eating, I watch Fox/ ABC/ etc and come on here for the same reason; it's a connection to my own culture.

However, being "bored" is something individual, as there is enough for me to do, if I wanted to ie cooking, gardening, sightseeing, reading, photography etc etc. So I can choose to be bored or not.

There are three types of foreigners: tourists and migrants are similar, they have a dream, a long period of time to deploy it for the second. However, both have no reason to be interested in the country, in fact you can only hear the good sense out of their mouth, something learned at a young age, a waste of time for those who listen.

There is a variant, the retired in a cheap-lifestyle country, only differentiating in the way they appear as retired cops, even if their life was spent in a office cabin. They normally like to end in a full pessimistic stereotype description of the people and country hosting them. Poor and un-grateful, only native compassion can take a burden of their presence.

The third category is the exiliate. Is an historic figure of course, is the person who wanders from north to south, from east to west with a deep-rooted interest in the host country, but they are mimetic, you can only chase them by some detail of their appearance.

On top of this there is the engagement of the anonymous posts of the forum, the absence of the body in communication could only be used for information, short messages for information, without any noise added by the alter-ego. Instead (but this is the overall effect of the Internet) there is always the odd of action without a body, a word that goes empty because the forum is not the body. The body is essential in human relationships, even the autistics proves to have one. In conclusion, I write my thoughts to the invisible public, a clear sign of insanity

Cheers!

• Like 2

There are three types of foreigners: tourists and migrants are similar, they have a dream, a long period of time to deploy it for the second. However, both have no reason to be interested in the country, in fact you can only hear the good sense out of their mouth, something learned at a young age, a waste of time for those who listen.

There is a variant, the retired in a cheap-lifestyle country, only differentiating in the way they appear as retired cops, even if their life was spent in a office cabin. They normally like to end in a full pessimistic stereotype description of the people and country hosting them. Poor and un-grateful, only native compassion can take a burden of their presence.

The third category is the exiliate. Is an historic figure of course, is the person who wanders from north to south, from east to west with a deep-rooted interest in the host country, but they are mimetic, you can only chase them by some detail of their appearance.

On top of this there is the engagement of the anonymous posts of the forum, the absence of the body in communication could only be used for information, short messages for information, without any noise added by the alter-ego. Instead (but this is the overall effect of the Internet) there is always the odd of action without a body, a word that goes empty because the forum is not the body. The body is essential in human relationships, even the autistics proves to have one. In conclusion, I write my thoughts to the invisible public, a clear sign of insanity

Cheers!

wwe may be invisible but we still appreciate simple plain spoken english. try again

• Like 1

Cheers!

wwe may be invisible but we still appreciate simple plain spoken english. try again

Insanity ? Nice job at english though - keep it up. Practice makes perfect.

I have found a couple of cold gin and tonics...with a massage...works wonders to relieve the boredom...I do not go to expat bars for the exact reason you outlined here...have drinks with friends...in their homes or yours...

Yes, groups of expats drinking in a private home must be far superior to groups of expats drinking in public places--and cheaper too.

I find no end of things to do here. Sure, tipping a few with friends anywhere is part of it, especially when you have seen all the temples and waterfalls. However, I like to be taken care of. Everyday I like to have a steam bath, be shaved, have my hair washed, and be massaged; with a manicure, pedicure, and haircut weekly. Each time my barber serves coffee or cocktails in an nice aircon salon with gold package cable TV and internet. A good start to the day, even if it does happen after noon many days. I belong to the Rotary, we meet weekly for dinner and comraderie; and are involved in community service work. My biker club goes to all local bike events and does charity work to support our local children. I ride most everyday to some out of the way place to have lunch and a beer or two. My wife and I go out to dinner with friends three or four times a week. We frequently go to one or more of the many live music clubs in town, where my bottle of Jack serves many. Every other weekend or so, we ride to a nearby town or beach resort to visit friends or attend biker meets. When it is too hot to ride, I watch people; usually at the one of the big aircon malls. These new Central Festivals are great--ever watch a Thai ice skate? Then, of course, I can stay home and play with any number of techno gadgets and try to avoid honeydos. Oh, did I mention the bars? Bored, how can you be?

This is a nice life. Where do you live sir? Thanks