Isaan, Isan, Esarn, Isarn, Issan. Which is it?

Guitar God

What is the commonly accepted English spelling of this NE province of Thailand?

Not even Thais seem to agree on how to spell it.

Hotel Siri Isan and Wikipedia chose one "s" and one "a" but here the preferred spelling seems to be with two "a" 's .

I've also seem it with a double "s", an "r" thrown in and it starting with an "I" and an "E".

Nice topic which will not lead to a conclusion tongue.png

The never ending Thai transcription dispute.

Its a big mess.

For me (German mother tongue) it is simple, I stick to RTGS: Isan

(but even in German "Isaan" is very popular).

RTGS is the rule set, that is (should be) used for all official transcriptions (like documents, map names, street signs etc.)

Buriram for e.g. biggrin.png

I know its not helpful for the English speakers, so Esan might do it for you?

Listem to it, and make up your mind:

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/E139758.mp3

http://www.thainet.de/dict/voice/20/6979.mp3

http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=th&q=%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99

Edited by KhunBENQ

No correct spelling. The thais up here say Isaan, Issan, Isarn, Issarn. Looked it up...all are correct. The problem is not that they are wrong, but that you are trying to fit a Thai round word into a Farang square hole. Just deal with it. Streets also are spelled more than one way when translated to english as well

if it is any comfort to you, look how the British spell rumour (which is a french bastardization of rumor)...probably due to the defeat of England by William the Conqueror (of Normandy). Many English words were spelled as the French would pronounce them.

tongue.png

Thank Goodness the USA spells rumor correctly (as it should sound)

lol

Edited by slipperylobster

Check bin instead of check bill

Also with spelling s Thais have problem

To spell in a name , but songkran everybody can say

For Chinese it's hard spell r instead of l

But when there will is strongh enough

Can spell everything!

on thai it is อีสาน and if yuo translate it straight it is iisaan an doubble ii is pronounced e in english so the sound in english would be Esaan.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The letter 'e' in English would generally be a short 'eh' sound not the 'ee' I think you are driving towards. I've never heard anyone call it Eh-saan.

Pedantic I know, but this thread is about Thai and English languages (so I'd better add that the letter e is pronounced many different ways - try the e's in 'everyone' for instance - 3 different sounds for 'e', including a silent one, in one word. Stupid language English - should have reinvented it with simpler phoenetics years agolaugh.png I am a Brit myself)

• Like 1

If one writes a paper in Thai then spell Isarn in Thai. When writing in English, then write either Northeast Thailand or north-east Thailand or even north-eastern Thailand depending on what the journal will accept. A few years ago there was a debate here in Ubon on how Ubon Ratchathani should be spelt in English with many local Thais preferring Ubon Ratjathanee! The former spelling won

You're right, it's a region of 20 provinces, not a province.

I thought that many commonly used foreign words usually had a standardized English spelling. I remember when Saddam Hussein was in the news, the media mentioned that they had decided on one spelling.

Same with countries where the name is pronounced (roughly) the same in English as the local pronunciation, like Kyrgyzstan and other countries using Cyrillic alphabet, (but not Finland which Fins call Suomi so we made up a new word).

To my ears, If I were unfamiliar with the word and was in a spelling bee, I'd spell it "Easaan". But "Isaan" seems to have the edge, even though I'd say it rhymes with Nissan.

No wonder there's so many different spellings.

Isaan isn't a province.

I thought that many commonly used foreign words usually had a standardized English spelling.

Wish it were. As I wrote, there is a standardized spelling RTGS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription

But due to its "contradiction" to the English vowel sounds, it is mostly ignored by the English speaking word.

But at least for official use (like street signs on major roads etc,) it is nowadays widely used by Thai authorities.

One problem with the missing standadization is the difficulty in finding names and facts in the Internet.

Even Google is not always smart enough to give the right guess.

What a mess!!!

For "Udorn" it is smart and shows you the "correct" spelling "Udon" (one of thousand of examples).

Most funny example I know: ซอย บัวขาว, an alley in Pattaya ("white lotus alley").

RTGS: Soi Buakhao

I guess I have seen a dozen different spellings so far biggrin.png

Soi Baukau

Soi Bawkaw

Soi Buakhaw (popular)

Soi Buakao

t.b.c.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I thought that many commonly used foreign words usually had a standardized English spelling.

But due to its "contradiction" to the English vowel sounds, it is mostly ignored by the English speaking word.

But at least for official use (like street signs on major roads etc,) it is nowadays widely used by Thai authorities.

One problem with the missing standadization is the difficulty in finding names and facts in the Internet.

What a mess!!!

For "Udorn" it is smart and shows you the "correct" spelling "Udon" (one of thousand of examples).

Most funny example I know: ซอย บัวขาว, an alley in Pattaya ("white lotus alley").

Soi Baukau

Soi Bawkaw

Soi Buakhaw (popular)

Soi Buakao

t.b.c.

sounds like .......Boo A Cow............to my ears. I never forget it as most of the ladies there look like Cows/Buffalo and I like to Boo at them.

• Like 1

What a mess!!!

Soi Baukau

Soi Bawkaw

Soi Buakhaw (popular)

Soi Buakao

t.b.c.

sounds like .......Boo A Cow............to my ears. I never forget it as most of the ladies there look like Cows/Buffalo and I like to Boo at them.

I think more like the "bu" in bum rather we than boo

on thai it is อีสาน and if yuo translate it straight it is iisaan an doubble ii is pronounced e in english so the sound in english would be Esaan.

and how do you translate the word "yuo"?

Is that an Essan or Thai wordi?

and how is it spelled in English??

Edited by willyumiii

The letter 'e' in English would generally be a short 'eh' sound not the 'ee' I think you are driving towards. I've never heard anyone call it Eh-saan.

Pedantic I know, but this thread is about Thai and English languages (so I'd better add that the letter e is pronounced many different ways - try the e's in 'everyone' for instance - 3 different sounds for 'e', including a silent one, in one word. Stupid language English - should have reinvented it with simpler phoenetics years agolaugh.png I am a Brit myself)

I teach English and could not agree with you more!

"Stupid" gives it too much credit. The English language could not have been made more difficult to learn and understand than it is now.

I often wonder who, and why created the mess it is today.

Pritty phunny huh?

Edited by willyumiii

I thought that many commonly used foreign words usually had a standardized English spelling. I remember when Saddam Hussein was in the news, the media mentioned that they had decided on one spelling.

Same with countries where the name is pronounced (roughly) the same in English as the local pronunciation, like Kyrgyzstan and other countries using Cyrillic alphabet, (but not Finland which Fins call Suomi so we made up a new word).

To my ears, If I were unfamiliar with the word and was in a spelling bee, I'd spell it "Easaan". But "Isaan" seems to have the edge, even though I'd say it rhymes with Nissan.

No wonder there's so many different spellings.

Isaan isn't a province.

no it doesn't rhyme with Nissan.

Written phonetically in English is would be spelt: Ee-sahn or Ee-saan.

First syllable:Long E, Second syllable: S, long A, followed by n.

Personally I spell it Isaan or Isahn as it's more recognizable to people with little knowledge.

"Stupid" gives it too much credit. The English language could not have been made more difficult to learn and understand than it is now.

I often wonder who, and why created the mess it is today.

Pritty phunny huh?

Stephen Fry gave a very good lecture on how the English language evolved with particular regard to spelling (I've checked the BBC website and it is no longer available unfortunately)

But it is basically because it has been mucked about with by so many forces since its inception, and not just cobbled together from French and German, the Monks had a particularly strong influence, because they were the main creators of books, much of what they did stuck, because, please excuse this phrase, what they said was taken as Gospel.

The English family name of ffolkes used to only have one f, but in old English type, a capital F looks like two small f's stuck together.

How do you say "Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe"?

You say it "The old coffee shop" .... a capital Y at the start of a word was a special character called a 'thorn' it looked nice and was used as a replacement for 'th'

By the way, roses don't have thorns, they have prickles, next time you see Bon Jovi, tell him he is wrong.

The English word for the Penny is derived from Pfennig, we just couldn't be bothered making the Pf sound.

My surname ends in 'ough' .... I could pronounce it eight different ways if I wanted to, but stick with 'uff'

You may think that Mr Fry could be a spelling Nazi, but he is far from it, he is very much 'write it down as you hear it'

There is a town down the road from me that many of the ex-pats call Kap Chong, as that is what most of the road signs look like, if I were to write it down, I would spell it Kap Churng, as that is much closer to what I hear.

I make a note of useful Thai phrases by writing them in English script, the way that I hear them.

Isaan is the most common spelling, and that is what I use because it has fallen in to common practice, when I write it for myself I use Esarn.

And it's Nong Key not Nonky.

smile.png

Edited by Thaddeus

no it doesn't rhyme with Nissan.

Written phonetically in English is would be spelt: Ee-sahn or Ee-saan.

First syllable:Long E, Second syllable: S, long A, followed by n.

Personally I spell it Isaan or Isahn as it's more recognizable to people with little knowledge.

This is the closet description in my opinion. Definitely no 'r' sound to be found either based on the Thai spelling.

Cheers