Broken front suspension seal on CBR 250

roly

Hi,

was driving home the other day and heard a small pop sound. Once home, there was oil all over the right front fork, dripping onto the brake and sprayed on the underside.

According to a friend of mine, the seal has gone on the suspension / fork. I'm assuming this is a simple replacement of the seal at a Honda dealer? If so, is it actually safe to drive 25km to my nearest good dealer in Cha-am (I'm in Hua Hin, where the dealers are terrible). I was told the front disc will also need cleaning with something that can remove all the oil, and the brake pad will need replacing as it's covered in oil and most likely ruined. Does this sound accurate (sorry, I don't know anything about maintenance, only how to ride, and quite a newbie!)...

The main thing is that I want to take it to Honda in Cha-am (as the Hua Hin one once broke part of my fairing taking it off), but not sure if it's safe to drive with it in the current state - it feels ok, but I'm assuming it's just that the brakes may be covered in all (unless I wrap something around the fork to absorb it for the short journey) and hence would need to go slowly. But I'm also worried that the suspension could just collapse or worse.

And would you bother with replacing the brake pads?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Roly

Yeah as Dave said take it easy & you will be fine.

Oil is there for damping rebound

Your fork spring is still in there so you have compression suspension .....will just be boingy

or no slowing rebound wink.png

Just take it easy as your suspension is in a sense now unbalanced

One leg has rebound damping the other does not

Also as Dave said clean off your brake pads if possible but probably also

have them changed out when you do your seals. They will be glazed from the oil &

they are not expensive

Edited by mania

it is fine to ride 30 kms if it just leaks slowly but if it is spraying or dripping a lot, i dont recommend riding it for 30 kms.

I am sure there are more than one honda dealer at Hua Hin.

The one close to van stops and clock tower is good enough, no? They helped me there before for stuck brake lever on my honda cbr500r and they were nice and did not ask any satang!

After the seals are replaced, you - or they - have to clean your disc rotor nicely.

Not a difficult job at all. I have replaced seals on Hondas. It's easy.

As long as the mechankjc knows how to properly measure fluid level and use the correct fluid which seems hard to find here in thailand.

Not a difficult job at all. I have replaced seals on Hondas. It's easy.

As long as the mechanic knows how to properly measure fluid level and use the correct fluid which seems hard to find here in thailand.

I was lucky when I added my Sonic front springs here

Lacking the stands & tools I used a good shop that allowed me in back to

measure the spacers for springs & also do the oil measure.

Was well worth the 300 baht as they were neat & tidy about uninstall & install

my cbr500r had a small leak after a track day as i rode to Kao Yai Bonanza and dirt stick onto the fork during the ride as usual and once it is pushed hard on the track, seal blew up as i forgot to clean the suspension travel section of the fork. Anyway, it has been changed under warranthy as they put a whole new suspension tube which costs like 6000 thb normally! So, sometime changing the seal alone does not work.

Mechs at bigwing told me that some of fork seal problems originate form the dirt stick on the fork. If it is dirty and once you go into a big bump or hole or do a track and use all suspension travel, then it has problems. So your suspension travel section of the forks needs to be clean at all times.

Another reason is stones and pebbles on the road denting the suspension travel side of the fork which also results on a fork leak.

kawa has two simple covers hiding suspension travel section from harm to solve this problem - check the photo - so i hope Honda awaken and see that too!

I will get a protector to cover the fork once it is available for cbr650f.

post-184955-0-20928600-1400732970_thumb.

my cbr500r had a small leak after a track day as i rode to Kao Yai Bonanza and dirt stick onto the fork during the ride as usual and once it is pushed hard on the track, seal blew up as i forgot to clean the suspension travel section of the fork. Anyway, it has been changed under warranthy as they put a whole new suspension tube which costs like 6000 thb normally! So, sometime changing the seal alone does not work.

Mechs at bigwing told me that some of fork seal problems originate form the dirt stick on the fork. If it is dirty and once you go into a big bump or hole or do a track and use all suspension travel, then it has problems. So your suspension travel section of the forks needs to be clean at all times.

Another reason is stones and pebbles on the road denting the suspension travel side of the fork which also results on a fork leak.

kawa has two simple covers hiding suspension travel section from harm to solve this problem - check the photo - so i hope Honda awaken and see that too!

I will get a protector to cover the fork once it is available for cbr650f.

There already was a solution in the good old days, so why reinvent the wheel...

post-129800-0-74161200-1400738902_thumb.

• Like 2

Oddly enough, I noticed black fluid pooled on my parked CBR250's wheel today.

Seal hunting tomorrow.

Ok, back on the road...

1. 2 seals @ 300baht

2. fluid 60 baht

3. new front brake pads 530baht

Total 1190baht @ Pattayaklang soi8/1, a hole in the wall shop I like.

They work right on the sidewalk so easy to keep an eye on things.

Best parts inventory in Patts.

Cheapest plastic.

Mityon runs here when their stock is insufficient.

Curious how you made out lory.

Edited by papa al