1 year ED visa - does that means 15 month?

I'm afraid I can't explain it in simpler language than I already have done.

Well i know i get 90 days of extension but what i'm asking is for example.. If i make today(may 2014) ed visa then i have to go to immigration(jomtien) in august,november,february and then in may(last stamp) i get one more 3 months that is valid until august?And that makes it 15 months?( in this 3months i have to get new ed or tourist visa or return home)

Edited by DA3NDORPHIN3

Well i know i get 90 days of extension but what i'm asking is for example.. If i make today(may 2014) ed visa then i have to go to immigration(jomtien) in august,november,february and then in may(last stamp) i get one more 3 months that is valid until august?And that makes it 15 months?( in this 3months i have to get new ed or tourist visa or return home)

You get a new 90 day entry every time you leave and then re-enter the country. They are not extensions.

You can make an entry up to the enter before date on your visa sticker and get another 90 day entry.

The expiration date of the visa does not limit the amount of time you can you can be in the country it is just last day you can use it to enter the country.

I think the confusion may be that when you stop work you have to go to immigration the day you finish and get an extension to leave the country. Does the same apply to the Ed Visa or extension when study ceases.

rolleyes.gif I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can explain it.

What you are calling an ED (education) visa is not really a visa.

It is an extension of your 90 day entry visa based on your going to school. ( for education)

So it is really not a Ed visa it's a extension you get from immigration in country here in Thailand.

What you got in a Thai consulate outside of Thailand was a visa.

The extension you get from Thai immigration is not really a visa, it is an extension.

That extension requires you to go back to immigration here in Thailand every 90 days where they will verify that you are still in school and if so give you another 90 day extension.

So how long your so-called visa lasts depends on the contract you signed with your school. If you signed a one year contract, the extension is one year. Either way, you will need to go back to immigration every 90 days so they can verify you are still attending school.

They also will want to know your address every 90 days for their records.

That's what you are really doing every 90 days when you visit immigration.

You are not getting a new visa, your getting a new extension of your existing visa you received in a Thai consulate outside of Thailand.

By law, if you stay in Thailand more than 90 days, you must report to immigration and verify your address to immigration.

I hope that is not to confusing.

Ed visas are for 12 months not 15 months, if you go in May you will receive another 90 days until August, after that your visa has expired so you either apply for another 12 months visa or leave the country

Some people will say they are not visas they are extensions of stay and they will be right but I am trying to explain it in a way that the OP will understand