Do land documents have Lat/Long included ?

This will give you a giggle.

I recently married a lovely Thai lady who live and works in Bangkok

She has, over several years, purchased a few plots of land in Ubon and the documents for those are in her mother's house up there.

However, she is uncertain about how to get to some of them as each time she goes home there is more development.

The question is, do land documents have the Lat/Long co-ordinates printed on them so that we can program them into a SatNav to locate them?

I HAVE asked her, but she is not sure...

Edited by The Fat Controller

If I were her, I would go to the local land office and ask for help.

I can not answer you question though, but in all likelihood they do have coordinates or something that allows them to locate the land. They would have to.

Here is what is on our Chanote in the diagram area. It's a little difficult to read. Maybe coordinates are in the top portion, but that has private information I don't have time to blur out.

post-59880-0-59165500-1400638687_thumb.j

I would do the following:

Go to the local land office and ask/pay them to send out someone with you to identify the land (boundary markers). If you can find these markers it's okay, but I would still confirm them with neighbors. If the markers can't be found or the neighbors dispute the boundary get the Land office to do a survey to confirm the boundaries. Then mark the land on your GPS. If you do it any way else you will never be certain if its the correct land.

The image shown by oneday is fairly typical, those BM## are benchmarks that are cemented onto posts set in the ground. The BMs are standard surveying marks and may have corresponding lat-long data at the Land Office, but probably will not. Best bet is to actually visit the sites and record your own GPS info. Even better would be to find the BMs and record their GPS lat-long in very extended detail. But keep in mind that the survey BM data will be the legal ruling info, GPS even at best is simply not as accurate as a proper survey.

• Like 1

I would do the following:

Go to the local land office and ask/pay them to send out someone with you to identify the land (boundary markers). If you can find these markers it's okay, but I would still confirm them with neighbors. If the markers can't be found or the neighbors dispute the boundary get the Land office to do a survey to confirm the boundaries. Then mark the land on your GPS. If you do it any way else you will never be certain if its the correct land.

If you are going to collect the corners with your GPS, then you need to realize the limitations of your GPS. It is not surveyor grade and is accurate to within 1-2 meters with several variables such as tree canopy, steep slopes, nearby buildings, duration of data collection. In other words, the positions collected by your GPS are "approximate" and should be close you enough that you can locate a monument or other marking set by a professional. The professional should use an instrument called a Total Station (modern day theodolite) to measure angles & distances to each corner for greatest accuracy.

Remember that if your neighbors realize you don't have any clue as to the boundaries then they are quite able to fabricate locations to provide themselves more land. Become familiar with the descriptions of your properties prior to relying on owners of adjacent properties.

If you can set the number of epochs on your GPS (number of seconds, roughly speaking) then let it collect satellite data for 15-30 minutes minimum at each corner. The GPS software will average these multiple shots and provide more precise location.

According to my sources the coordinates on Title documents are in WGS84 UTM, Eastings and Northings. The Eastings will be a 6 figures, and the Northings in 7 figures - perhaps with a couple of decimal places as well. You can convert the Eastings and Northings to Latitude and Longitude using this link http://users.tpg.com.au/adslly6v/UtmGoogleStreetView.html.

First enter the UTM Zone - this will be 47 if the land is west of Longitude 102 East, and zone 48 if east of 102 E. Longitude 102 E runs roughly North to South through Nakhon Ratchasima.

Then enter the Easting and Northing coordinates, and these will be converted to Latitude and Longitude in Decimal Degrees. You can select "MAP" and the location will be shown in Google Maps. Or you can insert as a place mark in Google Earth. Its free to download if you don't have it. Google Earth is probably better as you can see the terrain, and show roads and places to bring up local data so you can see the nearest roads and places . Google Earth will convert decimal degrees to degrees minutes and seconds if you prefer.

You can load the LAT and LON in your GPS, and find your way to the land of interest. I agree with other posters that its best have the land boundaries surveyed professionally. Even if there are markers these may have been displaced.

Thanks for all the information.

Luckily nothing about this situation is urgent, so it looks like a few fun days of exploring Ubon !

She has a couple of old school friends who are involved in the construction of housing estates who can also probably help us.