Drop poll if too dangerous: Thai Army

webfact

the new election would be fine if the Army are ensuring security of polling IF the EC say "no" then it is not for the reason that there would be bloodshed but for another more biased reason

let the Army secure the elections and let people VOTE

Totally unacceptable!

The army has no duty in securing elections. Even though the 'whatever' government keeps on asking for the Martial Law to allow the army to enable secure elections that's totally wrong. Even in 2007 the Army lifted the Martial Law in the remaining 35 provinces as critics feared it would possibly inhibited voters.

The police has a clear task in this and if they are not prepared or not able heads should roll in their management structure.

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not political reforms that need changing, it's the bigoted attitudes that many Thais have for each other that needs to change first, and that ain't ever going to happen.

When I was born, my city had separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites. Not any more. It took education and time, and a strong stand from the government that this indeed must stop.

Leaders should lead; not rape the country.

Who does it hurt to require transparency? Who does it hurt to get rid of those who abuse the public's trust?

and there is the metaphor... right there... the yellows don't want the poor 'blacks' to drink from the same democratic fountain because they are too 'uneducated' and many of them have suggested as much

this is ALL about the rich, elite restricting votes and the normal, decent hard working Thais who want their vote

Go do some studying the subject before writing more nonsense.

The normal hardworking Thais want their vote to be respected even after it has been counted. They want politicians to be accountable. They want their tax money to be spent wisely and for the good of all, not just a Amply Rich criminal fugitive hiding abroad and skyping in command to his cabinet how to rule his country.

If that takes reforms which old and new elite find difficult to stomach, never mind. Equal by law AND effectively too. Binding to ALL.

• Like 2

Like this.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just look at all of those ignorant, gullible mugs!!!!

Unlike the sophisticated liberals with whom you mix?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I mix with Southerners who have brains as they realise just how bad and damaging 'Thaksin controlled' governments are to their lives!!!

Drop everything including your pants , it's not only getting too dangerous it's getting too silly .It's got to the point that I feel I'm living in a comic strip! I will not bring the army in or will I intervene in Thai politics and this is not a coup and the soldiers and guns on the streets of Bangkok are in fact imitation ones and all the heads of the foreign chambers of commerce want to get on the roundabout too.Things will be back to normal next week and we can all go shopping so the economy will be back on track by Thursday week!!!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not political reforms that need changing, it's the bigoted attitudes that many Thais have for each other that needs to change first, and that ain't ever going to happen.

When I was born, my city had separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites. Not any more. It took education and time, and a strong stand from the government that this indeed must stop.

Leaders should lead; not rape the country.

Who does it hurt to require transparency? Who does it hurt to get rid of those who abuse the public's trust?

and there is the metaphor... right there... the yellows don't want the poor 'blacks' to drink from the same democratic fountain because they are too 'uneducated' and many of them have suggested as much

this is ALL about the rich, elite restricting votes and the normal, decent hard working Thais who want their vote

Go do some studying the subject before writing more nonsense.

The normal hardworking Thais want their vote to be respected even after it has been counted. They want politicians to be accountable. They want their tax money to be spent wisely and for the good of all, not just a Amply Rich criminal fugitive hiding abroad and skyping in command to his cabinet how to rule his country.

If that takes reforms which old and new elite find difficult to stomach, never mind. Equal by law AND effectively too. Binding to ALL.

..............and with Thaksin, that is where the problem within lies. He is a disgrace to the human race!!!

the new election would be fine if the Army are ensuring security of polling IF the EC say "no" then it is not for the reason that there would be bloodshed but for another more biased reason

Totally unacceptable!

The army has no duty in securing elections. Even though the 'whatever' government keeps on asking for the Martial Law to allow the army to enable secure elections that's totally wrong. Even in 2007 the Army lifted the Martial Law in the remaining 35 provinces as critics feared it would possibly inhibited voters.

The police has a clear task in this and if they are not prepared or not able heads should roll in their management structure.

What a telling response. Thailand needs to avoid this type of intimidation. I suspect voters would be more afraid of the PDRC thugs then soldiers

polling_station.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterb

A Thai election official negotiates with a protester, right, at a polling station as demonstrations

shut down advance voting in parts of the country ahead of the Feb. 2 general election.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/01/26/thai_protesters_threaten_voters_force_polling_stations_to_shut_down.html

07-thailand-protest.jpg

Anti-government protesters attacked a voter near a polling station in Bangkok last week.

Protesters surrounded almost half of the polling stations in Bangkok, election officials

said, chaining doors shut and forcing the cancellation of advance voting in many centres

for a disputed election on Sunday. Reuters

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/thai-authorities-may-close-polling-booths-if-election-violence-erupts-29968039.html

just to please you, rubl, full accreditation of the "fake" photo.

Edited by fab4

Totally unacceptable!

What a telling response.

I wonder what you are trying to imply here. Knowing you probably less friendly thoughts, suggestions and a bit of obfuscation to hide the fact that you didn't like the army still having 35 provinces under Martial Law with the constitution referendum and here I say the Army shouldn't be involved in securing elections.

Totally unacceptable!

What a telling response.

The truth generally is. Police are responsible for security when NOT in a state of Martial law or similar. Surely you want the martial law to last the shortest time possible. No?

“Every minute martial law is in effect, the rights of Thais are being undermined,” Adams said

Personally I think that statement is knee jerk bull <deleted> and martial law is required at this time. But as Prayuth had said it should be in place for the shortest time possible!

Totally unacceptable!

What a telling response.

I wonder what you are trying to imply here. Knowing you probably less friendly thoughts, suggestions and a bit of obfuscation to hide the fact that you didn't like the army still having 35 provinces under Martial Law with the constitution referendum and here I say the Army shouldn't be involved in securing elections.

Sorry to upset your attempt at mind reading. I was referring to your hypocritical stance that having the army act as security would be undemocratic but backing to the hilt a constitution voted for under Martial Law - and a less benign version of Martial Law at that than we have here today - so far.

Totally unacceptable!

What a telling response. Thailand needs to avoid this type of intimidation. I suspect voters would be more afraid of the PDRC thugs then soldiers

A Thai election official negotiates with a protester, right, at a polling station as demonstrations

shut down advance voting in parts of the country ahead of the Feb. 2 general election.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/01/26/thai_protesters_threaten_voters_force_polling_stations_to_shut_down.html

07-thailand-protest.jpg

Anti-government protesters attacked a voter near a polling station in Bangkok last week.

Protesters surrounded almost half of the polling stations in Bangkok, election officials

said, chaining doors shut and forcing the cancellation of advance voting in many centres

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/thai-authorities-may-close-polling-booths-if-election-violence-erupts-29968039.html

So you are in fact suggesting in your post that the Royal Thai Police force are irrelevant, disorganized and unreliable and that the Army must do their job.. umm interesting!

Edit : there are 2 police officers in that 1st picture.

Edited by casualbiker

What do you think reforms are all about ?

Have you ever heard of education reforms to give all kids a better education ?

Have you heard of judicial reforms to make the law apply equally to everyone ?

Have you heard of agriculture reforms to improve the competitiveness of the Thai farmers in the international arena and consequently the income of farmers ?

Have you heard of reforms to the police to make them non partisan and effective so all are treated equally ?

Have you heard of transport reforms to make the roads and rail safer ?

Have you heard of land reforms so those who have lived on their land for generations can be given title ?

Have you heard of health reforms to make the health service more efficient and available to everyone ?

Have you heard of reforms that would limit if not eradicate corruption ?

And of course electoral reforms so that convicted criminals and those who have been banned for electoral fraud and corruption can not run for office. So that there can be free and fair elections where every voter has a chance to hear what every candidate in their electorate has to say and can then exercise their choice at the ballot box without fear.

Those and more that are at present under consideration by groups of experts in every field with a view to putting together ideas that can be scrutenised then taken to the country in a referendum.

These have been initiated by several groups, the only one who has done nothing about reforms is the previous PTP government.

Initiated by "several groups" and then for some reason you single out the previous PTP government who have done nothing about reforms.

Apart from the obvious rejoinder that any reforms attempted to be carried out by the PTP were nullified by the "Constitutional" Court, please explain in terms of government reforms, not individual groups, what the Democrat Party did in the way of reforms?

Please don't include abhisits amendment to the Organic Law on Elections or I'll pee myself.

Totally unacceptable!

07-thailand-protest.jpg

So you are in fact suggesting in your post that the Royal Thai Police force are irrelevant, disorganized and unreliable and that the Army must do their job.. umm interesting!

Up to you how you respond to the images and more importantly the reality of the situation at the time.

Most people who support the idea of Elections would focus on the intimidation and violence, not try and blame the police.

Another telling response.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Like this.

Just look at all of those ignorant, gullible mugs!!!!

Unlike the sophisticated liberals with whom you mix?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I mix with Southerners who have brains as they realise just how bad and damaging 'Thaksin controlled' governments are to their lives!!!

Is that the same southerners who leave their guns and bombs behind with id cards when they leave an area? Not every smart people to mix with.

What a telling response.

Sorry to upset your attempt at mind reading. I was referring to your hypocritical stance that having the army act as security would be undemocratic but backing to the hilt a constitution voted for under Martial Law - and a less benign version of Martial Law at that than we have here today - so far.

The 2007 constitution was seen by many as an improvement on the 1997 mostly. With clarifications, more protection for individuals, etc., etc. Plus the coup leader amnesty, a bit of a black blob.

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/Thailand-Eighteeth-Consititution.html

Till now I haven't said anything about how the referendum was conducted and in this topic I also will not. Remember 'wrongs' in the past should not be used to 'justify' wrongs asked for by some now.

So, even the HRW spoke against the Martial Law today. Makes you wonder why the remainder of the government wants it to be able to use the army for the elections.

Totally unacceptable!

07-thailand-protest.jpg

Up to you how you respond to the images and more importantly the reality of the situation at the time.

Most people who support the idea of Elections would focus on the intimidation and violence, not try and blame the police.

Another telling response.

And as this topic continues you twist and turn.. your original idea was that with the Army securing poll sites there would be no problems. Some one said that IF the elections were held under martial law it would be some what un-democratic.

You rejoined with the need for security which we understand BUT in a normal state the police are the security. When that is highlighted you put up pictures showing intimidation . I highlight that you are in effect saying the RTP are not up to the job so you refer back to your nonsensical one liner "another telling response "

Because IF you are in fact stating that elections cannot be held unless Thailand is under martial law and polling booths are guarded by armed troops. Then I suggest that Thailand is not ready quite just yet for elections and to spend the next few weeks in constructive dialogue .. NO?

• Like 1

How many members here who are demanding reforms before an election actually have a right to vote in the next elections.?

I'd be genuinely interested as I have a sneaky suspicion that there actually isn't that many, and that many others are just posting to wind people up, if you have the right to vote, and you wish for reforms that's commendable, and your choice to make ,but if you don't have a right to vote, then what gives you the right to demand reforms that are down to the Thai electorate to decide what reforms they want, or don't want?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just as much rights as you have NONE.

I have seldom seen a more stupid remark made, we (i take it you have no rights either) have no power and can demand all we want for both sides red or yellow but it wont make an impact. We are just sharing our views here and have as much right as you have to demand no reforms.

You have as much right to have your views here as we have.. and you have as much power as we have.. NONE.

Exactly my point, what's the point in demanding reforms when you don't really have a right, as indeed it's just opinions of the posters, except that the point I'm making is that too many posters feel and believe that they have a right, when I fact they don't, and they get very articulate over it, and slag and sling mud, when it has sweet FA to do with them.

what's the point in getting all wound up over something that is out of your remit and out of your lane?

I'm all for healthy debate, but there's some people who take things way too serious, as if it means everything to them. So calling my remark stupid, just makes me feel a lot better knowing that the response was equally as stupid a remark, at the end of the day, we can all have out say, and feel all self righteous and important over the days debating, but it will not change a single thing, and tomorrow will bring more of the same, it's like a giant washing machine stuck on rinse mode!!!

Edited for auto spell damn I hate this auto spell thing on my iPad, does anyone know how to turn off??

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Whatever we say will never change a thing but that does not mean our views are not important. I like a bit of heated debate but in reality you will seldom convince someone else as they are as set in their convictions as you or I am.

http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_basics/ss/How-To-Turn-Off-Auto-Correct-On-The-Ipad.htm

• Like 1

Have you heard of agriculture reforms to improve the competitiveness of the Thai farmers in the international arena and consequently the income of farmers ?

Have you heard of reforms to the police to make them non partisan and effective so all are treated equally ?

Have you heard of land reforms so those who have lived on their land for generations can be given title ?

Have you heard of health reforms to make the health service more efficient and available to everyone ?

And of course electoral reforms so that convicted criminals and those who have been banned for electoral fraud and corruption can not run for office. So that there can be free and fair elections where every voter has a chance to hear what every candidate in their electorate has to say and can then exercise their choice at the ballot box without fear.

Those and more that are at present under consideration by groups of experts in every field with a view to putting together ideas that can be scrutenised then taken to the country in a referendum.

These have been initiated by several groups, the only one who has done nothing about reforms is the previous PTP government.

Initiated by "several groups" and then for some reason you single out the previous PTP government who have done nothing about reforms.

Apart from the obvious rejoinder that any reforms attempted to be carried out by the PTP were nullified by the "Constitutional" Court, please explain in terms of government reforms, not individual groups, what the Democrat Party did in the way of reforms?

Please don't include abhisits amendment to the Organic Law on Elections or I'll pee myself.

I singled them out because they ARE the only group who have done nothing and you should note that I include their attack corp the UDD.

What did the Dems do ?

Well they made a start on education reforms by raising the age of free education, making school uniforms and books free.

There are more but I really don't know why I should bother answering as you never do anything but critisise and vilify in your posts and have never, that I have seen, made a positive contribution to anything.

I include : "Abhisits amendment to the Organic Law on Elections" in the hope you do pee yourself.

• Like 1

What a telling response.

The 2007 constitution was seen by many as an improvement on the 1997 mostly. With clarifications, more protection for individuals, etc., etc. Plus the coup leader amnesty, a bit of a black blob.

Till now I haven't said anything about how the referendum was conducted and in this topic I also will not. Remember 'wrongs' in the past should not be used to 'justify' wrongs asked for by some now.

So, even the HRW spoke against the Martial Law today. Makes you wonder why the remainder of the government wants it to be able to use the army for the elections.

So we'll say no more about your hypocritical posturings on what you regard is democratic and what's not, only because it's off topic, OK, I understand whistling.gif

I singled them out because they ARE the only group who have done nothing and you should note that I include their attack corp the UDD.

What did the Dems do ?

Well they made a start on education reforms by raising the age of free education, making school uniforms and books free.

There are more but I really don't know why I should bother answering as you never do anything but critisise and vilify in your posts and have never, that I have seen, made a positive contribution to anything.

I include : "Abhisits amendment to the Organic Law on Elections" in the hope you do pee yourself.

I criticise on occasions like this when I see half assed attempts at vilifying (your word) the PTP every chance you can and with nothing to back it up. Your post above is a case in point. Complain about the PTP and then compare it with unknown "groups" with their unknown contributions to reform - what am I supposed to do but criticise, accept your word?

When I criticise that attempt and actually try and make a viable comparison such as comparing two governments approaches to reforms you come up with raising the age of free education and free books and school uniforms, there are more but.....................

If I can question maybe 1% of the crap that is posted on here as gospel truth and prove it wrong I consider that a positive contribution. You don't like that, either come up with some solid facts or put me on ignore.

The record on health care reform is good, although in fairness many officials not affiliated to TRT/PPP/PT can share credit for that. Under Yingluck there were important reforms to improve the position of stateless people, and migrant workers and children. Thailand's progress in implementing universal healthcare reforms was applauded by the WHO. The Rockefeller Foundation injected significant funding so that Thailand could run a program to build capacity in other aspiring UHC countries ('CAP UHC'), More recently Thailand is providing the secretariat for the ASEAN+3 UHC network - an initiative to expand health care coverage throughout the region. The figures from 2001 to the present for per capita GDP, per capita health expenditure, government debt to GDP and the Gini co-efficient show some up and down movements but an improving trend. In 2011 the World Bank changed Thailand's classification from a lower to an upper-middle income country. Some of the recent expansionary policies have not worked out well (the rice pledging scheme), but many economists look at the period since 2001 and argue that Thailand shows that Keynesian policies (as opposed to austerity) can still work.

What did the Dems do ?

I criticise on occasions like this when I see half assed attempts at vilifying (your word) the PTP every chance you can and with nothing to back it up. Your post above is a case in point. Complain about the PTP and then compare it with unknown "groups" with their unknown contributions to reform - what am I supposed to do but criticise, accept your word?

When I criticise that attempt and actually try and make a viable comparison such as comparing two governments approaches to reforms you come up with raising the age of free education and free books and school uniforms, there are more but.....................

If I can question maybe 1% of the crap that is posted on here as gospel truth and prove it wrong I consider that a positive contribution. You don't like that, either come up with some solid facts or put me on ignore.

Is he wrong about the education reform mentioned?

Simple Yes or No.

So we'll say no more about your hypocritical posturings on what you regard is democratic and what's not, only because it's off topic, OK, I understand whistling.gif

We will also try to forget your continuous insults here, your obfuscation, your <deleted>

Plus your own hypocritical posting where you divert from a current intriguing situation of an elected not-so-caretaking government asking for the Martial Law to safeguard elections. Even in a country like Ukrania the government will only deploy 55,000 police officers and 20,000 volunteers for the Sunday Elections.

Did I hear any complaint?

Totally unacceptable!

What a telling response.

Surapong, of maybe still there Minister of Foreign Affairs fame, seems to have no objections against Martial Law while conduction referendums or Elections.

""I call on Gen Prayuth Chan-Ocha, the Army chief, to prompt the Election Commission (EC) to organize the election. Otherwise, a referendum can be held to ask people if they want the election before reform or vice versa so that people will be the decision makers. An election can happen during the imposition of the martial law," Mr Surapong said."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728208-european-union-may-boycott-thailand-if-it-delays-election-surapong/

So, one more hypocritical figure?