Thai Senators seek ruling on emergency decree

webfact

POLITICS
Senators seek ruling on emergency decree

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Some senators will seek a ruling from the Constitutional Court over if the caretaker Cabinet had violated the charter by imposing a state of emergency on Bangkok, which allegedly interfered in the authority of the Election Commission.

Senator Paiboon Nititawan said yesterday the court would be asked to see if the Cabinet had violated Articles 268 and 182 (7) by implementing the emergency decree on January 21.

The group of 33 senators said the Cabinet had also put officials in charge of resolving emergency situations even though the Royal Decree to hold general elections was in effect at that period.

Decree 'aimed to interfere'

Paiboon said the implementation of the emergency law could be seen as a move to interfere with the EC's authority and favour certain groups such as Pheu Thai MPs, which was in violation of Articles 268 and 266 (1).

Acting Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboonlertchai refused to comment on Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha's imposition of martial law, saying he would go ahead with his mission of seeking a peaceful solution for the country.

Surachai also called on politicians to make sacrifices for the sake of the country, adding that he would not approach Prayuth, since the Senate is not one of the parties in conflict.

Meanwhile, another group of 15 senators, calling themselves neutral, issued a statement in support of the imposition of martial law to resolve the country's crisis and prevent riots and civil strife.

The Senators include Pol General Jongrak Chuthanont, Kobkul Puncharoen Worakul, Pol Lt-General Yuthana Thaipakdee and those representing Khon Kaen, Lamphun and Angthong.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-21

whistling.gif These senators would be very wise to go softly-softly here and not rock the boat.

Otherwise the military just might insist on compliance and crack down harder.

But the UDD never did have a lick of common sense anyhow, and the PTP also.

As the saying goes, if you expect to have soup for dinner tomorrow night, don't be p- -ssing into the soup bowl today.

Or to put it another way, as Benjamin franklin once said, "Experience is a hard school in which to learn, but fools wile often learn in no other."

whistling.gif These senators would be very wise to go softly-softly here and not rock the boat.

Otherwise the military just might insist on compliance and crack down harder.

But the UDD never did have a lick of common sense anyhow, and the PTP also.

As the saying goes, if you expect to have soup for dinner tomorrow night, don't be p- -ssing into the soup bowl today.

Or to put it another way, as Benjamin franklin once said, "Experience is a hard school in which to learn, but fools wile often learn in no other."

I think you need to re read the story,to me it seems the senators are referring to the emergency decree imposed before the election by PTP .

• Like 1

Nothing is well thought out in Thai politics.

When a government can dissolve parliament and forget a small matter of first grabbing 120 Bn from the central fund to pay their voters. That just shows you how stupid and incompetent they really are.

There probably is some substance in these accusations, but with all the other stuff hanging over the remaining ministers, it would just be quicker to sit back and watch it all fall apart for them.

Edited by Civil War

When a government can dissolve parliament and forget a small matter of first grabbing 120 Bn from the central fund to pay their voters. That just shows you how stupid and incompetent they really are.

There probably is some substance in these accusations, but with all the other stuff hanging over the remaining ministers, it would just be quicker to sit back and watch it all fall apart for them.

Source please? What is this about paying off voters?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Let me guess, the "some senators" include some or all of the gang of 40 who are trying once again to provoke a "political vacuum" so they can install their "neutral interim PM and cabinet".

Do they honestly think people aren't aware of what they are trying to do - when I say they, I don't mean the senators.

• Like 2

I would never suggest they're competent. But I believe their strategic thinker thought he could get away with dissolving parliament, calling a quick snap election and being returned quickly to office with a new mandate. The amnesty bill could have then been pushed through on its return to the house, whitewashing him, and the 2,2 trillion loan bill could have been pushed through. Then they would have been motoring forward on their agenda.

This was a massive miscalculation with vastly more protesters than they expected and the beginning of their end. Arrogance, stupidity, dishonest and greed. The things that bring so many criminals down.

So the Senate that blocked the amnesty bill the first time and the Constitution Court who ruled the 2.2 Trillion Baht Loan bill unconstitutional would not do exactly the same thing again? Do you honestly think that the government would do exactly the same thing knowing what the result was the first time round? The amnesty Bill was a mistake sure. However, what the government did not forsee was certain parties hijacking the protest and using it to their advantage to achieve their aims. Are you completely unaware of what has been going on?

• Like 1

Source please? What is this about paying off voters?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

try rice farmers..ok now...

I would never suggest they're competent. But I believe their strategic thinker thought he could get away with dissolving parliament, calling a quick snap election and being returned quickly to office with a new mandate. The amnesty bill could have then been pushed through on its return to the house, whitewashing him, and the 2,2 trillion loan bill could have been pushed through. Then they would have been motoring forward on their agenda.

This was a massive miscalculation with vastly more protesters than they expected and the beginning of their end. Arrogance, stupidity, dishonest and greed. The things that bring so many criminals down.

its a shame you had to post the obvious sir,but there are still those in denial on here..black is white,white is black...they can only be seen as trolling because its so in ya face its its almost slapping you...thank you for reminding them once again .though..it will sink in one day..

• Like 1

its a shame you had to post the obvious sir,but there are still those in denial on here..black is white,white is black...they can only be seen as trolling because its so in ya face its its almost slapping you...thank you for reminding them once again .though..it will sink in one day..

Yes, everything is that simple, honestly, just black and white............................coffee1.gif

ps Is it just me or has certain peoples definition of trolling changed to being "anyone that I don't agree with"

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Let me guess, the "some senators" include some or all of the gang of 40 who are trying once again to provoke a "political vacuum" so they can install their "neutral interim PM and cabinet".

Do they honestly think people aren't aware of what they are trying to do - when I say they, I don't mean the senators.

Nothing wrong in having an "neutral interim PM and cabinet"

Or would you rather have a "bias perpetual PM and cabinet"?

As Prayuth told Tarit yesterday: 'Enough is enough!' Seems the quote is applicable to this situation as well.

A true word there, my dear pookiki. I agree 'enough is enough'. First the caretaker Yingluck government imposed an Emergency Decree while Elections were announced in an Royal Decree and being planned by the E.C. Now we have the ex Dept. PM and ex MoFA and ex chief CAPO advisor Surapong supporting the Martial Law to ensure safe elections.

Strangely enough in 2007 we had

"Critics have called on the government to lift the measure ahead of the polls, saying political parties should be able to campaign freely without fear of military intimidation.

The measure empowers the military to be in charge of security and make arrests without warrants in the name of maintaining order. Critics are afraid such powers could be used against politicians the military opposes, such as Thaksin's still loyal followers."

http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/30-10-2007/99826-thailand_government-0/

So the Senate that blocked the amnesty bill the first time and the Constitution Court who ruled the 2.2 Trillion Baht Loan bill unconstitutional would not do exactly the same thing again? Do you honestly think that the government would do exactly the same thing knowing what the result was the first time round? The amnesty Bill was a mistake sure. However, what the government did not forsee was certain parties hijacking the protest and using it to their advantage to achieve their aims. Are you completely unaware of what has been going on?

a. which government would or would not do exactly the same?

b. the blanket amnesty bill with extended covering period from Thaksin's last two years in/out of office and Yingluck first two years was not just a mistake. It was very undemocratic and in time may be ruled criminal.

c. parties hijacking a protest? Conspiracy theory number 'latest' ?

BTW here we try to discuss the declaring of an Emergency Decree while Elections were planned and partially under way (advance voting / voting from abroad). Even in 2007 the Martial Law was lifted AHEAD of the December general elections.

• Like 1

As Prayuth told Tarit yesterday: 'Enough is enough!' Seems the quote is applicable to this situation as well.

Tarit should shuffle off to the nearest corner and contemplate the fact that he is nothing now - best keep the whimpering down though!!!

of course they are aware. My best wishes go forthwith to them in achieving their honourable aims of rescuing this country from the utter demise that these jokers have put us in!!

Now they're fighting it out about a decree that was issued back in January? And has since expired?

Aren't there really much more pressing matters right now?

The Thai senate currently reminds me of someone who fiddled while Rome burned.

Edited by Fookhaht

In January, just a week and a half before the election, Yingluck's caretaker cabinet authorized an Emergency Decree. First of all, an Emergency Decree had never before been issued in the midst of an election campaign. Second, an Emergency Decree has never before been issued by a caretaker administration. Thirdly, there is a legitimate concern that an Emergency Decree could have interfered with the spirit of an Election Decree already in place. Fourthly, there is a legitimate concern that an Emergency Decree brought on by a caretaker administration that had a personal vested interest in the outcome of the election could be construed as having contravened the authority of the National Election Commission, whose task is to oversee all aspects of an election to see that they are equal, fair, unbiased, and in accordance with electoral laws. At the time, there was already an open discussion that the Constitutional Court should look at this. They have that opportunity now. They could very well decided it was all perfectly constitutional from every aspect imaginable.

Or they might not.

• Like 2

b. the blanket amnesty bill with extended covering period from Thaksin's last two years in/out of office and Yingluck first two years was not just a mistake. It was very undemocratic and in time may be ruled criminal.

BTW here we try to discuss the declaring of an Emergency Decree while Elections were planned and partially under way (advance voting / voting from abroad). Even in 2007 the Martial Law was lifted AHEAD of the December general elections.

1) We were talking about the PTP government - that was plainly obvious.

2) I said the amnesty bill was a mistake. I take that back - the amnesty bill in it's purest form that was to be voted on before the ammendments to itwere made was a perfectly sound idea. You may recall, if your selective memory will allow, that one of the recommendations of the "reconciliation" committee put together by abhisit after the events of 2010 was such an amnesty bill. The revised bill was a mistake but was rightly blocked by the senate. That is no reason for a 7 month campaign to bring down an elected and now caretaker government.

3) see 2) unless you're really are that dumb to think this is about "corruption".

btw - don't give me that self serving off topic rant - especially after your post above. Always the same, everybody is off topic but you.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

1) We were talking about the PTP government - that was plainly obvious.

2) I said the amnesty bill was a mistake. I take that back - the amnesty bill in it's purest form that was to be voted on before the ammendments to itwere made was a perfectly sound idea. You may recall, if your selective memory will allow, that one of the recommendations of the "reconciliation" committee put together by abhisit after the events of 2010 was such an amnesty bill. The revised bill was a mistake but was rightly blocked by the senate. That is no reason for a 7 month campaign to bring down an elected and now caretaker government.

3) see 2) unless you're really are that dumb to think this is about "corruption".

btw - don't give me that self serving off topic rant - especially after your post above. Always the same, everybody is off topic but you.

1. there is no Pheu Thai government to try the same tricks again

2. the amnesty bill in it's 'purest' form was already a forced reconciliation.

3. the anti-government protests were about an undemocratic government trying to take care of one person only, Thaksin. Ignore the voters, we have a mandate, go home more to follow. A bit of negligence, corruption, mislaid 880 billion of the RPPS. Lack of transparency, no responsibility, more and more budgets as extra budgets out of parliamentary scrutiny. Etc., etc.

BTW the topic is senators seeking a ruling on the declaration of the Emergency Decree on 2014-01-21 by the caretaker Yingluck government while elections were already in progress. Advance voting was planned for 2014-01-26, voters registered from abroad already voted in the millions I was told here. And suddenly a socalled democratic, elected government activates the Emergency Decree which forbid gatherings of five or more people. Even voters could no longer sit together with friends to discuss politics. Voters going en-mass to a polling station could open themselves to serious charges.

No wonder that ex Dept. PM, ex MoFA, ex chief CAPO advisor Surapong even today urged army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha to ensure the next general election is organised soon. Imagine, asking the army to look into the elections!

3. the anti-government protests were about an undemocratic government trying to take care of one person only, Thaksin. Ignore the voters, we have a mandate, go home more to follow. A bit of negligence, corruption, mislaid 880 billion of the RPPS. Lack of transparency, no responsibility, more and more budgets as extra budgets out of parliamentary scrutiny. Etc., etc.

BTW the topic is senators seeking a ruling on the declaration of the Emergency Decree on 2014-01-21 by the caretaker Yingluck government while elections were already in progress. Advance voting was planned for 2014-01-26, voters registered from abroad already voted in the millions I was told here. And suddenly a socalled democratic, elected government activates the Emergency Decree which forbid gatherings of five or more people. Even voters could no longer sit together with friends to discuss politics. Voters going en-mass to a polling station could open themselves to serious charges.

No wonder that ex Dept. PM, ex MoFA, ex chief CAPO advisor Surapong even today urged army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha to ensure the next general election is organised soon. Imagine, asking the army to look into the elections!

the anti-government protests were about an undemocratic government trying to take care of one person only, Thaksin. Ignore the voters, we have a mandate, go home more to follow. A bit of negligence, corruption, mislaid 880 billion of the RPPS. Lack of transparency, no responsibility, more and more budgets as extra budgets out of parliamentary scrutiny. Etc., etc.

Whatever, rubl, whatever - if you can't see what this is all about, I can't help you. None so blind as those that won't see. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

the anti-government protests were about an undemocratic government trying to take care of one person only, Thaksin. Ignore the voters, we have a mandate, go home more to follow. A bit of negligence, corruption, mislaid 880 billion of the RPPS. Lack of transparency, no responsibility, more and more budgets as extra budgets out of parliamentary scrutiny. Etc., etc.

Whatever, rubl, whatever - if you can't see what this is all about, I can't help you. None so blind as those that won't see. coffee1.gif

Here I can only totally agree with you, my dear chap.

Of course, we'll never know, but I think you're mistaken about renewing the push for the amnesty bill. Too many Red Shirts opposed it as well as the Royalists. It was massively unpopular. But I do think that Yingluck was hoping far a new large mandate to get back to a longer-term strategy.

Now we just have to wait and see what strategy Prayuth has decided to follow. I'm curious to see. I think he hates Thaksin with the heat of a thousand suns, but I don't think he wants to be forced to support Suthep.

In January, just a week and a half before the election, Yingluck's caretaker cabinet authorized an Emergency Decree. First of all, an Emergency Decree had never before been issued in the midst of an election campaign. Second, an Emergency Decree has never before been issued by a caretaker administration. Thirdly, there is a legitimate concern that an Emergency Decree could have interfered with the spirit of an Election Decree already in place. Fourthly, there is a legitimate concern that an Emergency Decree brought on by a caretaker administration that had a personal vested interest in the outcome of the election could be construed as having contravened the authority of the National Election Commission, whose task is to oversee all aspects of an election to see that they are equal, fair, unbiased, and in accordance with electoral laws. At the time, there was already an open discussion that the Constitutional Court should look at this. They have that opportunity now. They could very well decided it was all perfectly constitutional from every aspect imaginable.

Or they might not.

"At the time, there was already an open discussion that the Constitutional Court should look at this. They have that opportunity now. They could very well decided [sic] it was all perfectly constitutional from every aspect imaginable."

The statement reflects the fact only one person in Thailand thinks it could even be remotely possible, and is predicated on digging up certain selected events of the past January.

This claim is yet another pretext of legality to pursue specious concoctions and nefarious purposes by every illegal means imaginable.

It's amazing how the Thais expend tremendous energy avoiding the writing of sound laws and equitably enforcing well considered laws. Feudal society and interrelationships here have a strong longevity.

It's even more amazing how many fahlang around here not only support but advocate mangling due process of law and the due process of anything or everything. Feudalism here has a magnetic drawing power on the loose nuts of native English language countries.

My god.