Latest measure won't teach us to solve political conflict: Thai politics

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have seen several articles that point out that the Thai Constitution requires a Royal Decree to impose martial law. If martial law lacks a legal basis, how is it different than a coup?

The Marshal law has a legal status , I will say no more than that.

No it does not!

Read again - not all over the country!

In Bangkok it might be justified - what he did was illegal and amounts to a coup!

Section 188 of the Constitution:

The King has the prerogative to declare and lift the martial law in accordance with the conditions and manner under the Martial Law.

In the case where it is necessary to declare the martial law in a certain locality as a matter of urgency, the military authority may do so under the Martial Law.

The militarys declaration of martial law was for all localities of the country which is not allowed under the Constitution!

You are assuming that the one who has the authority has not been asked. Until you know that for certain you are talking <deleted>.

I am not assuming there was no royal declaration - which according to the constitution has to be countersigned by a minister!

What the army chief did was illegal - there was no riot with immediate danger or a war!

But since the law in Thailand applies only to certain people - who gives a damn!

No, it won't solve the problem but it does provide a safety valve. There is an interesting op-ed piece in today's Bangkok Post. Songkran Grachangnetara : " in my view martial law will not be the pretext for another military coup;rathe it is the pretext for ...Suthep and his followers to be able to step down with minimum humiliation.....the PDRC has failed miserably. They won't admit it, but the truth hurts and so it should. These protests have more or less wiped a couple of percentage points off our GDP. They have made our society even more divided and irreparably damaged our reputation as a peace loving Buddhist nation".

I would at least expect from the army to inform the PM before installing the martial law no?

It shows the complete disregard the military has for the current batch of politicians......probably similar to many here on TV

The militarys declaration of martial law was for all localities of the country which is not allowed under the Constitution!
You are assuming that the one who has the authority has not been asked. Until you know that for certain your comment has no validation.

No royal decree has been issued so far, that is for certain.