Thai farmers demand remaining rice scheme payments

webfact

This being the guy who was stirring up the farmers on behalf of the PDRC and also the guy who turned down the governments proposed reduction in the rice pricing pledge from 15,000 baht to 12,000 baht because they could not make any profit at that price. So what were they doing before the rice subsidy upped the price?

President of the Thai Agriculturists Association Vichien Puanglamjiak earlier made an announcement that farmers would not accept the Government's decision to reduce the pledging price for rice with 15% water content to 12,000 baht per ton, as they could not make any profit with that price.

Paying MUCH less in rent and fertiliser prices. As soon as the 15,000 baht per ton for rice was announced the rates for land rental and fertiliser shot up and unless the next government does something they will never come down.

The next government MUST bring in a training programme to teach Thai rice rarmers how to grow their crops more effectively. Vietnam, Indonesia and India are way ahead of Thailand in rice yeilds and if they can do it, so can Thailand.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Shin lead govt's have pumped 1.5 trillion into the rice industry and the farmers still cannot produce rice independently of the government for a profit while 100 km away in the same soil Vietnam can produce rice at 5000 Baht a rai and produce 3 times the yield that Thai's do on that 1 rai then that is a waste of 1.5 trillion baht and there is no excuse for Thailand farmers to produce rice above the cost of market value.

Talk about dangling a carrot ballot card in front of a donkey voter. Until the farmers can get out of this poverty cycle where they are reliant on the PTP to survive then the PTP could abuse power, ignore 14 principles of democracy, rubbish the public, threaten the opposition voters, intimidate the courts, treat all voters with contempt, assassinate opponents of the regime and bomb and shoot opposition supporters and they will still be voted into power. After seeing the farmers and the desperation and them having to live hand to mouth I would vote PTP if they offered 43% above market value even if they did the above atrocities. I would have no choice.

Don't regulate the price. Empower the farmers with education and knowledge like they did in Vietnam. 1.5 trillion baht would go along why to funding the infrastructure scheme.

That is why reform is needed.

Comparing Vietnam salaries with Thailand salaries is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

I happen to know a big rice producer in Vietnam personally and I know what he pays his workers. Officially, Vietnam has a GDP of $4000 while Thailand is at $9900. But actual Vietnam workers make much much less than Thai workers. A Thai person could not survive in Thailand with a Vietnam salary, so it's also impossible to sell Thai rice at the same price of Vietnam rice because the production costs are much higher.

Get it?

No I don't get it.

Produce some official figures and links to prove what you are saying and maybe people will believe you. Until then that is all the are, unsubstantiated words.

After the Shin lead govt's have pumped 1.5 trillion into the rice industry and the farmers still cannot produce rice independently of the government for a profit while 100 km away in the same soil Vietnam can produce rice at 5000 Baht a rai and produce 3 times the yield that Thai's do on that 1 rai then that is a waste of 1.5 trillion baht and there is no excuse for Thailand farmers to produce rice above the cost of market value.

Talk about dangling a carrot ballot card in front of a donkey voter. Until the farmers can get out of this poverty cycle where they are reliant on the PTP to survive then the PTP could abuse power, ignore 14 principles of democracy, rubbish the public, threaten the opposition voters, intimidate the courts, treat all voters with contempt, assassinate opponents of the regime and bomb and shoot opposition supporters and they will still be voted into power. After seeing the farmers and the desperation and them having to live hand to mouth I would vote PTP if they offered 43% above market value even if they did the above atrocities. I would have no choice.

Don't regulate the price. Empower the farmers with education and knowledge like they did in Vietnam. 1.5 trillion baht would go along why to funding the infrastructure scheme.

That is why reform is needed.

comparing Vietnam salaries with Thailand salaries is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

I happen to know a big rice producer in Vietnam personally and I know what he pays his workers. Officially, Vietnam has a GDP of $4000 while Thailand is at $9900. But actual Vietnam workers make much much less than Thai workers. A Thai person could not survive in Thailand with a Vietnam salary, so it's also impossible to sell Thai rice at the same price of Vietnam rice because the production costs are much higher.

Get it?

That’s life, called globalization the west lost most of their production line work to Asia that’s why Thailand can produce electronics cheap than the west.

So if the Vietnamese can produce rice cheaper so be it.

Get it.

....................................."I happen to know a big rice producer in Vietnam personally"........................................

Crap ! Judging by your posts I would be very surprised if you even knew a Vietnamese taxi driver. Or if you had ever been to Vietnam. Or Thailand.

Posted A minute ago

BANGKOK: -- National Peace and Order Maintaining Council director Gen Prayuth chan-ocha instructed the Finance Ministry to hastily allocated money to pay farmers who sold rice to the former government under its rice-pledging scheme but were not yet paid.

He advised that the money of about 80 billion baht should be paid to farmers within 15-20 days without having to resort to money raised from the rice sales.

He also appointed Air Force Commander-in-Chief ACM Prajin Jantong to take care of economic affairs.

xthaipbs_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mHzeIZqN2

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-23

Great news the general has his priorities right.

Posted A minute ago

BANGKOK: -- National Peace and Order Maintaining Council director Gen Prayuth chan-ocha instructed the Finance Ministry to hastily allocated money to pay farmers who sold rice to the former government under its rice-pledging scheme but were not yet paid.

He advised that the money of about 80 billion baht should be paid to farmers within 15-20 days without having to resort to money raised from the rice sales.

He also appointed Air Force Commander-in-Chief ACM Prajin Jantong to take care of economic affairs.

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-23

Good economic - stimulate the economy. Payment x multiplier effect (not sure what it is in Thailand but it would be higher than Australia's 7.4). While at the same time not increasing the governments actual debt cause the money is already owed)

Posted A minute ago

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-23

Good economic - stimulate the economy. Payment x multiplier effect (not sure what it is in Thailand but it would be higher than Australia's 7.4). While at the same time not increasing the governments actual debt cause the money is already owed)

Only problem is that a fair proportion is going to go to pay the debt and interest accumulated by the farmers from not being paid for months.

In extreme case where loan sharks have been involved some farmers could still end up in debt.

In reality the farmers should at least be compensated for the interest they have had to pay because of the non payment for the fact that they have had to borrow is no fault of theirs.

But it is great that they will be at last be getting paid for their rice.

• Like 1