Swede leaps to death from Phuket guesthouse

webfact

If I were to jump to my death every time I'm arguing with the missus I'd be dead

100's times over by now...

If you only had the third floor available, you might need the hundred tries. I knew someone who went off the sixth floor, and survived. And then did it again. With approximately the same result. Very sad circumstances. But then, he turned a corner, and made a fresh go of things. An opportunity that sadly, this poor Swedish fellow does not have. Very sad for his family.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so witnesses heard and saw him arguing with wife, but NO ONE actually saw him jump. I'm sorry, but I simply don't accept as "true" all these stories about the foreign men "jumping" and "committing suicide" over an argument with Thai g/f (who is probably half their age, if not more). But "suicide" is easier to deal with, and less paperwork, than actually investigating the woman for murder. He was just a crazy old farang, and she was a fine, innocent, loving, caring Buddhist believing Thai girl.

BULL S##T

And I just don't see how the generally pretty small Thai females lug up the usually rather heavy gentlemen up a few floors and toss them over the railing.

I call all these conspiracy theories BULL S##T.

How many Farangs are falling out of balcony pro year in Thailand ? Is there any statistics ?

A lot. Enough actually to drive the conspiracy chatter around these situations. If it was 1 or 2 a year then no-one would make those speculations I don't think.

Having said that, I do think a lot of them are legit suicides. Men in the West tend to shoot themselves, followed by hanging and then falling / jumping. Few do overdoses or cutting (more a female thing). It is difficult getting a firearm as a farang. Hanging is pretty tricky although there are quite a few of those in Phuket every year too. So the main way in Phuket it seems would be jumping.

What a loada <deleted>. Get real mate. Anyone with half a brain would take onboard that these so-called suicides are far too frequent to be believed as mass self-annihilation that somehow is better performed in holiday resorts like Pattaya/Phuket that has a more resonating appeal for kamikaze pilots. Lets face it. These statistics speak for themselves !!!!!!!!!

My condolences to this man's family.

I never believe the media mainstream or local even when it comes to reporting of any kind these days.

There are very few reporters it seems get their facts straight and in some cases can be too lazy to go out and get them themselves.

Any views expressed here about how this guy fell from the third floor can only be speculation and by the looks of it will remain that way.

As with police forces all over the world the Thai police whether we consider them to be good or bad have only limited time and resources to investigate this case as determined by their paymasters (whoever they may be).

Edited by pendingo

Jesus first comment and already a waft of conspiracy........

The third floor is not that high. You would be banged up, but I think many could survive a fall from that height, that said, a guy died falling off a bar here, so, sure, he could have died from a third floor balcony, but let's not forget the guy who fell 38 floors here, and survived.

Anyway, is it possible he was killed in the room by a blow to the head, and then thrown from the balcony to cover up the murder and make it appear as a suicide?

Not a conspiracy theory, just something I think should be investigated, if the police were to do their job properly.

Any views expressed here about how this guy fell from the third floor can only be speculation and by the looks of it will remain that way.

That's why it's a good idea to request an autopsy when the remains are repatriated.

Where else in the world would a newspaper publish a story about a guy having a heated argument with his wife, then ending up dead, only to conclude he had jumped- with only the facts as presented?

Since you asked, a simple google search turns up several:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520753/Chinese-boyfriend-jumped-death-girlfriend-insisted-going-clothes-shop.html

The third floor is not that high. You would be banged up, but I think many could survive a fall from that height, that said, a guy died falling off a bar here, so, sure, he could have died from a third floor balcony, but let's not forget the guy who fell 38 floors here, and survived.

Anyway, is it possible he was killed in the room by a blow to the head, and then thrown from the balcony to cover up the murder and make it appear as a suicide?

Not a conspiracy theory, just something I think should be investigated, if the police were to do their job properly.

If you worked at heights then you would recall from your safety training that a person can die from falling as little as 6 feet (2 meters).

• Like 1

Ok, so witnesses heard and saw him arguing with wife, but NO ONE actually saw him jump. I'm sorry, but I simply don't accept as "true" all these stories about the foreign men "jumping" and "committing suicide" over an argument with Thai g/f (who is probably half their age, if not more). But "suicide" is easier to deal with, and less paperwork, than actually investigating the woman for murder. He was just a crazy old farang, and she was a fine, innocent, loving, caring Buddhist believing Thai girl.

BULL S##T

The "BULL S##T" (your capitals) was your post.

He was 50 (a crazy, old farang?), his wife was 34. How does the difference in ages affect this incident in any way.

God help him and sincere condolences.

The pity is that the Thai wife probably won't give a single toss about him, won't grieve for a moment and will just look at what she may get out of it.

No, the pity is your pathetic speculation about a woman whom you know nothing about.

• Like 1

Where else in the world would a newspaper publish a story about a guy having a heated argument with his wife, then ending up dead, only to conclude he had jumped- with only the facts as presented?

Since you asked, a simple google search turns up several:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520753/Chinese-boyfriend-jumped-death-girlfriend-insisted-going-clothes-shop.html

I suspect there were a few more eyewitnesses (and CCTV) in a crowded Chinese shopping mall than at 2:00 AM at a guesthouse in Phuket.

A) You're a "newbie" who hasn't been in LOS very long and have no idea of how things really are.

cool.png You've been here too long and have your own personal, reserved bar stool with your #1, "I love only you" bar girl guarding it for you.

Those of us who have been here a few years, and longer, and not spent that time clutching our bar stools know that believing a Thai is tantamount to surrendering your sensibilities and throwing away all sense of logic.

You possess so much more wisdom than anyone else because you've been here so long (how does that work?), or maybe you don't?

Edited by MMarlow

If you worked at heights then you would recall from your safety training that a person can die from falling as little as 6 feet (2 meters).

Hey, you can die falling over drunk and hitting your head on the pavement.

Like I said, a guy died falling off a bar here, and another guy fell 38 floors and survived.

Should this death at least be investigated, particularly due to the evidence of the heated argument just prior?

I see the deceased has now been named and it's reported as a second floor fall with a broken neck the cause of death.

I am unsure who made the determination that a broken neck was the cause of death.

Edited by NamKangMan

Well, that just have might shut her up.

R.I.P.

On the contrary, she must be out there by now trying to trap another gullible elderly farang among the hordes here who come looking for such women.

Clearly you know the bereaved woman personally or you would not be making such an insulting comment.

Look I'm sorry for this and his family but this quick judgement by Thai police is wrong was there a note? or did you just take word of bargirl? and we all know bargirls never lie like thai police are up standing people you can trust to protect your rights.

You know "this quick judgement" was wrong how, and how do you know a judgement has been made as opposed to a theory being suggested based on witness accounts of part of the incident? Why do you assert that his wife was a bargirl?

If I were to jump to my death every time I'm arguing with the missus I'd be dead

100's times over by now...

I second this - but who knows. It could be murder - or not. I've seen very vicious attacks.

Maybe some men don't / or won't fight back to defend themselves . Again we don't know.

don't be surprised at the strength of a 5 foot tall up country girl.

My "missus" could f#@k you up - no problem.

RIP and I hope there is a proper autopsy .

PS

I've lived with many women and never was hit / altercation until I married a thai .

she gets so angry and attacks me - but I'm able to do the defensive stance - hard to penetrate.

I do think about other men who might run into this stuff. It could kill you.

I think it might be the thai soap opera education - or hot blooded.

Maybe I wrote to much - but it may not be suicide. I could see something else could be possible.

This is obviously an open and shut case - firstly, upstanding witness (taxi driver) and I can attest to the fact that it was not jumping that killed him, but rather the sudden stop at the bottom. Only problem when they do this stuff, you cannot change your mind!!!

Was your post really necessary on a sensitive issue like this? Are you, in fact, necessary?

The pity is that the Thai wife probably won't give a single toss about him, won't grieve for a moment and will just look at what she may get out of it.

and you know this how?

Do you really believe that any Thai cares one iota about any foreigner? Would give one sympathetic thought or word to a foreigner in trouble, yet alone offer to help?

Thais see one thing in us.....money and the path to an easy life.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Dead right on all points above Impulse. (Not that all cases in Western countries are investigated with no cover ups), but by and large what you say is true and those practicalities you mention need to be emphasised for the sake of loved ones back home who pick up the pieces and work out all details of claims etc. Too many farang deaths here instantly written up as suicide over Thai wife or girlfriend. Who was there when he fell from the balcony and who really knows? Its too easy to take it as given, but difficult to prove foul play. In all events, coroners' inquiries often leave 'open verdicts' on such cases, depending on the nature of injuries etc. and that impacts greatly on all the above factors to be dealt with regarding estate, insurance etc.

and you know this how?

Do you really believe that any Thai cares one iota about any foreigner? Would give one sympathetic thought or word to a foreigner in trouble, yet alone offer to help?

Thais see one thing in us.....money and the path to an easy life.

I take it you not married to a Thai then.

I have made many mistakes in my life but thank God this wasn't one of them.

With apologies to those few who are happily married to a Thai woman!!

How many Farangs are falling out of balcony pro year in Thailand ? Is there any statistics ?

A lot. Enough actually to drive the conspiracy chatter around these situations. If it was 1 or 2 a year then no-one would make those speculations I don't think.

Having said that, I do think a lot of them are legit suicides. Men in the West tend to shoot themselves, followed by hanging and then falling / jumping. Few do overdoses or cutting (more a female thing). It is difficult getting a firearm as a farang. Hanging is pretty tricky although there are quite a few of those in Phuket every year too. So the main way in Phuket it seems would be jumping.

What a loada <deleted>. Get real mate. Anyone with half a brain would take onboard that these so-called suicides are far too frequent to be believed as mass self-annihilation that somehow is better performed in holiday resorts like Pattaya/Phuket that has a more resonating appeal for kamikaze pilots. Lets face it. These statistics speak for themselves !!!!!!!!!

What are the exact statistics? What do they say? Having only half a brain I do find it quite challenging trying to figure out the exact truth.

I know it happens a lot. Are some homocides? I'm sure. Are they all homocides? I doubt it. Waiting for you to give a clearer indication of where the median lies.

What are the exact statistics? What do they say? Having only half a brain I do find it quite challenging trying to figure out the exact truth.

I know it happens a lot. Are some homocides? I'm sure. Are they all homocides? I doubt it. Waiting for you to give a clearer indication of where the median lies.