Boeing, Nok Airlines seal order for 15 737s

webfact

Boeing, Nok Airlines seal order for 15 737s

WASHINGTON, May 22, 2014 (AFP) - US aerospace giant Boeing on Wednesday finalized an order with Thai budget airline Nok Airlines for 15 737 aircraft, worth $1.45 billion at list prices.

Nok Air is buying eight Next-Generation 737-800s and seven 737 MAX 8s, and plans to convert one of the 737-800s into a 737 MAX order at a later date, the companies said in a joint statement.

The order was first announced as a commitment at the Singapore Air Show in February.

Nok Air currently operates a fleet of 15 Next-Generation 737s.

"The 737 is the backbone of our fleet and has fueled our growth over the past 10 years," said Nok Air's chief executive, Patee Sarasin.

"This order is a key part of our disciplined fleet strategy. These 737s ensure that Nok continues to operate the most reliable and fuel-efficient aircraft on the market today and in the future."

Nok Air will be the first airline in Thailand to operate the 737 MAX, an update of Boeing's Next Generation 737 that offers better fuel efficiency, lower emissions, and a farther range, up to 6,667 kilometers (4,142 miles).

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-22

I'm always nervous when i board nok air.

How is the leg room in Nok Air compared to Lion Air? I recently flew Lion Air from CNX-BKK and there is not a lot of legroom, my knees were touching the seat in front of me and I'm only medium height.wai2.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Trust a fledging, money losing airline to go and order more planes and get into

more debts.... Thai business common sense.. where in hock, borrow more...

Pointless, ignorant, Thai bashing post based on nonsense.

"According to financial performance report of Nok Airlines Public Company Limited (the Company) in 1st quarter ended 31st March 2014, the Company reported that net profit was 40.9 million Baht"
Nok Air has been revolutionary to Thai travel and have a great model that works. They are streets ahead of low cost airlines in US and Europe in terms of service and comfort.
Sadly however profits are down "by 375.2 million Baht or 90.2 percent from the same period of previous fiscal year" which they blame on "the instability of political situation in Thailand, since 4Q2013, has led to the economic deceleration, consumption, and private sector investment."
So many companies in Thailand are feeling the pinch because of Suthep yet so many on here still cluelessly cheer him. The same people dont care because their pension remains unchanged and their most important decision of the day is finding a lady to barfine.
Hats off to Nok for think big and continuing to invest through a difficult time for Thailand.