Renewing License with a name change

Attol

Hi my Thai DL is expired and I need to renew. I recently got married.

I have old passport and old license.

My passport is in my new married name. Does anyone know if this will be an issue.

There is a tiny pathetic typed note in my passport saying I was AKA as my maiden name. (looks like anyone can type it in). I of course have marriage certificate.

Should be no problem. Just supply copy of the new passport, plus they need to see the original. Have your old passport in hand for reference. Same with the certificate of registration from immigration, details as per your new passport.

I would also take a copy of your marriage certificate, just to be on the safe side.

Renewing car and motorbike licence, do i need for each a doctor certificate or is one enough.

thx

Make a photo copy and offer the original and copy.

that was my idea too, but you know how they are.

will give it a go tomorrow

No doctors cert. needed for renewal

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Depends on the mood of the day. Always best to have the medical cert in hand.

Not so they have a printed card with the requirements

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

worried as my residency certificate is 6 months and 2 days old. Urg.

my license and residency cert is in my maiden name and my license is about 360 days expired.
However I did find the online version of the test.. very helpful

I still barely passed the 2nd time. From recolection this is identical to the one there. At least until the end of the month.

Hopefully I won't need to take it ...

but for anyone else here is the link to the Thai drivers test in English http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Went this morning to renew my 5-year licenses (motor bike and car). Was there 08.55. No medical certificate required. Copy passport (2 sets if you apply for two licenses). I had copies of the photo page, my visa and the one-year extension stamp. The lady at the information desk by the entrance handed me the copy of the visa back "no need". I had two copies of all pages of my work permit (she wanted them all). If you do not have a work permit you will need the immigration letter stating your address (if two licenses two originals are needed!). She stapled everything together (including the expired licenses) and I was directed to room 7. There you write your name in a register and put your paperwork in a basket. Lady calls you when it is your turn. Brake test. Hit the break when a green light turns red. Easy. Then a light changes colour randomly (red, green and yellow) and you have to call the correct colour. By then it was 09.30. Half hour to have a coffee as we were supposed to go to the first floor room no. 1 for the video.

Before the video started a lady gave some instructions in good enough English. First you all have to watch the video. After that names will be called and you will be given a queue number. Go back to the ground floor to pay for the license(s) and have your photo taken. This is for people who come to renew Thai license or hold an international license. All others have to go to the examination room for the theory test. 30 questions of which you must answer at least 23 correct. If you fail you come back Monday she said. A few tried to persuade her to waive the need for a test as they had licenses from their home countries but she accepted none of them. Only international driver's licenses accepted.

Furthermore she told that you can renew your license up to 3 months before it expires. If your license is expired more than 1 year you have to sit the theory test again and I assume do the driving around as well. She told that everyone with a 1-year extension of stay will receive a 5-year license and all others a 1-year license regardless of what type of visa you have. We watched the video for an hour. The guy in front of me was smart enough to bring a book. On the other hand now he does not know that you are not allowed to park in a tunnel or on a bridge!

Exactly at 11.00 she stopped the video. Not sure if it was almost finished or there was simply not more time for it. I have heard from others that the video last 90 minutes so we were lucky. She called the names of the persons who had to sit the theory test and off they went. Then we got our queue numbers and we all went downstairs. When my number was called I paid 555 Baht for the car license and another 305 Baht for the motorbike license and was sent to one of the photo booths with all the paperwork. Put it in the basket again and wait for your name to be called. Photo's taken. Pay an additional 110 Baht per license (so 220 Baht for me) and your licenses are ready in a few minutes. Licenses are valid until May 2020 which is 6 years by the way. I left the building at 11.30.

• 2 weeks later...

No one noticed my passport nor Immigration certificate had a different name. So license was issued in old name. Fine by me. Didn't want to throw a monkey wrench in the process.