Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been some posts on Thai social media re: the curfew times possibly being modified to Midnight to 04:00, has anyone seen or heard anything official?

Do you really believe social media ahead of officialdom (who calls the tune)?

The near anonymity of social media allows any one to say anything whether it is true or not.

We farangs need to simplify this:

For Thai nationals it's a curfew; for farangs it's a suggestion.

Run that up the flagpole and see who salutes, pardon the expression.

And what about late international flights?

Stay in the Airport and then report, if connecting flight, you can take it.......If you arrive on day flight? you paid more... No problem

But mine is not figure out the problems.... bet Yingluck can get a flight anywhere, oh I forgot, she is supposed to report to the military authorities...

Let us see what happens..... But let us hope for the best.... Stay tuned.......more to come......cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There have been some posts on Thai social media re: the curfew times possibly being modified to Midnight to 04:00, has anyone seen or heard anything official?

Last night social media informed us that the internet would be cut at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm

Looking through this forum I can instantly see that didn't happen.

Remember that they are saying they will cut sites that spread rumours. I know that this feels difficult for us but we need this channel open to get updates from official channels. Let's just be careful about double-checking our facts before posting anything that could be construed as "concrete" (not suggesting you were doing anything otherwise). You can be sure that if there is an announcement about times changing that there will be a post from webfact on the daily news thread.

We all know this will calm down as the minutes, hours and days tick by. For now, let's tow the line....

Anyone know where there is up to date info on this curfew and the current situation? Wondering if it will still be in place tonight?

Today I spoke to my friend in a village outside of Lampang. The army there is applying a daytime curfew as well. Nobody is allowed to leave their village. So they can't travel 20 km to Lampang to go shopping, visit a market, or do any banking. What is that all about? At first I supported what the army was doing but they have now gone beyond what is reasonable and I feel strongly they need to stop the curfew

Edited by raybal5

Curfew??? Time to leave ASAP!

Grow Up!

I left 3 weeks ago. Grow up what? What fun is there to be in this country now? Not just everybody like you have to stay. Some are grown up enough to freely decide when to quit.

Obviously, this country is going down the tube.

You were right to leave, this is no place for you.

Have you always been a quitter ?

The fun continues today - just another day in Paradise.

You are absolutely right: This is no place for me.

Quitter? Oh yes. In February 1994 I was in Rwanda as a civilian instructor. I left and was called a quitter too. The rest is history.

The days left to your "paradise" are counted.

The term "paradise" is for the dreamers and tourists. For realists it is challenging, rewarding, affordable, sunny and somtimes harsh. It's also having to emerge from third world status kicking and screaming its way to a modern accountable democracy that governs in the interests of all its people and not just the priveledged elite. Prising that power away sometimes takes pain and sacrifice. I live amongst some very poor people that work hard for very little and I would never begrudge them their chance of a better life.

• Like 1

Anyone know where there is up to date info on this curfew and the current situation? Wondering if it will still be in place tonight?

Today I spoke to my friend in a village outside of Lampang. The army there is applying a daytime curfew as well. Nobody is allowed to leave their village. So they can't travel 20 km to Lampang to go shopping, visit a market, or do any banking. What is that all about? At first I supported what the army was doing but they have now gone beyond what is reasonable and I feel strongly they need to stop the curfew

Stopping the curfew is not likely. The Army (in "enemy" territory now?) is concerned about a reds uprising. But perhaps a better approach for those villagers would be to have some soldiers accompany them to the markets etc in order to carry out their daily living activities?

To piss people off is to invite trouble.

• Like 1

Stopping the curfew is not likely. The Army (in "enemy" territory now?) is concerned about a reds uprising. But perhaps a better approach for those villagers would be to have some soldiers accompany them to the markets etc in order to carry out their daily living activities?

To piss people off is to invite trouble.

Maybe a group of more than five political activists or wanted people are being dealt with. Who knows? Let the army do their job.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The days left to your "paradise" are counted.

Not quite sure why you say that. Because the army has taken over? Again? I feel safer on BKK's streets now than when various colored shirts were taking pot-shots at each other.

You are not even allowed to be on the streets all the time now;)

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Very easy, you can not go out between 22pm and 5am.

If you do, you risk being arrested or shot.

But do not freak , it usually lasts for few days unless there is trouble

So if I have a heart attack at 1am I have to wait until 5am to go to the hospital?

We should be so lucky,

It's just so predictable.

All these "Jack the Lads" and "two week Trevors" who had only the most prurient of attachments to Thailand are now cheering from dimly-lit scrumpy booths back in Br'oke @$$ on D'ole while the authorities *HERE* get into the round-up phase of a very complex multi-phase endgame.

At the very least y'all just might want to look down the road a ways.

Just sayin'.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Last night social media informed us that the internet would be cut at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm

Looking through this forum I can instantly see that didn't happen.

Remember that they are saying they will cut sites that spread rumours. I know that this feels difficult for us but we need this channel open to get updates from official channels. Let's just be careful about double-checking our facts before posting anything that could be construed as "concrete" (not suggesting you were doing anything otherwise). You can be sure that if there is an announcement about times changing that there will be a post from webfact on the daily news thread.

We all know this will calm down as the minutes, hours and days tick by. For now, let's tow the line....

I'm sure General Chan-ocha and his hench-people know better than to do anything drastic with the internet. If they did, not only would it be another chapter of the book of "How to Destroy a Country" and also one in the "How to Foment an Uprising" (in this case, expand an uprising). Besides, he knows that even his finances would suffer, not to mention his legacy.

So, he's got quite a dilemma: How can he suppress the violence potential (if that is what he's really attempting) and identify extremists without curtailing the social networks? At least he can use the social networks to assist in identifying extremists. Sound vaguely familiar?

But what is his definition of an extremist? It appears to me that he could easily be classified as an extremist.

Edited by MaxYakov

All these "Jack the Lads" and "two week Trevors" who had only the most prurient of attachments to Thailand are now cheering from dimly-lit scrumpy booths back in Br'oke @$$ on D'ole while the authorities *HERE* get into the round-up phase of a very complex multi-phase endgame.

Just sayin'.

Presuming that we're really lookin' at an endgame.

Does this means there will be no flights landing at night,or do people have to sleep in the airport until 5am? what about all the nightshift workers?what about the tourists? what a crap holiday they will have if they cannot enjoy the nightlife.coffee1.gifwai2.gif

Edited by KonKorat

Didn't see any soldiers on Sukhumvit Road yesterday morning at 0530 from Asoke to to the Expressway as I made my way to the airport, no troop lorries, no APC's and no mobile gun carriers. The last time the army were out in force they had armoured vehicles at the major road junctions, entry and exit points to the expressway and a heavy presence at the airport. Didnt see any at the airport either. Worryingly my friend called and told me he had seen a heavy army presence surrounding the red shirt excampment close to the Monument. I hope an assault isn't on the cards.

Was out on Sukhumvit Soi 22 on Tuesday and a TV news crew were doing a piece on the lack of farangs which has been quite noticeable since the Martial Law announcent. They asked if they could ask me some questions. I replied of course, the questions were along the lines of did I feel threatened, did I know if any farangs were avoiding Thailand, would it stop me visiting in future. I replied it would not stop me from returning unless the situation deteriorated with the army and civilians sustaining casualties.

In fact as I'm writing this I've heard on the radio Yingluck has been invited to attend meetings in order to find a way forward. I'm surprised she isn't already in Dubai with her brothrt

Just sayin'.

Presuming that we're really lookin' at an endgame.

Dude.

Elvis. Building. Exit.

Hope the Baht takes a dive....down to where it belongs!

i just checked the Aussie dollar,and virtually no change.bah.gifwai2.gif

Do you expect any with the budget they just had...just waiting to hear there is one of those C things there.

All chanels on my TV have blue screen now eg: universal, skyfi, bio, bbc, oz Q , anyone have the same and all bars in Pattaya,jomtien shut 10pm last night Thailand is <deleted>...d

Yes, they also got to banglamung cable tv, all blue except for the ones that have the army stuff. Time to memorize the marches.

I hope this turns out well for Thailand which could use a bit of a shake up. As others have said, the Baht should be lower. I will be in Thailand in the middle of next month. Hopefully I will get a cheaper airfare, more for my money in exchange, and cheaper hotels etc. (I buy from Agoda so hotels have to compete).

I agree with other posts saying that the UK, US etc. have over blown the situation in Thailand. Western countries aren't representative of their people and fear being booted out themselves. This is why they rage whenever a "democracy" is overthrown elsewhere.. A recent study by Princeton concluded that, as we know. the US is an oligarchy. No need for a tin foil hat.

"The report, entitled Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens, used extensive policy data collected from between the years of 1981 and 2002 to empirically determine the state of the US political system.

After sifting through nearly 1,800 US policies enacted in that period and comparing them to the expressed preferences of average Americans (50th percentile of income), affluent Americans (90th percentile) and large special interests groups, researchers concluded that the United States is dominated by its economic elite."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10769041/The-US-is-an-oligarchy-study-concludes.html

• Like 1

Could someone please enlighten me what the actual goal of this is?

Getting the 2 sides together in the same room, locking them up until they figure out a date for the election and getting the protesters off the streets?

The supposed negotiation turned out to be a scheme to detain all the protest leaders at once. Clever, but future calls for such negotiations might not see a very high turnout.

Can anyone tell me why they have shut all the schools in Thailand. I'm in the UK at the moment and have just spoken to my wife and she tells me our daughter can't go to school until further notice because the military have closed the schools. What rubbish is that !!!! ????

Can anyone tell me why they have shut all the schools in Thailand. I'm in the UK at the moment and have just spoken to my wife and she tells me our daughter can't go to school until further notice because the military have closed the schools. What rubbish is that !!!! ????

Military coup