Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please enlighten me but I have a friend here who was here during the last coup. He says

NO NATIONWIDE CURFEW

NEWS and media was still running

TV Stations were not closed.

Is his wrong?

Or is this to prepare for some more serious news? To aviod panic and mayhem or is it because the army had news of some bad things about to happen?

The general has been very patient and moderate and this seems totally out of place for what he has been trying to achieve for so many months showing leadership and guidance which has been ignored until now.

this is not a coup, yet, martial law is for civil order, the government has not changed, stay calm

HELLO... This is all about the coup. I run a business and and only asking. I am no afraid nor worried but if Internet goes down I will need to take measures business wise. Life goes on....

Closing the schools seems a pretty obvious move. If the army is going to be chasing hard core party members and suppressing protests for the next few days, the last thing you want is bus fulls of school children suddenly getting in the way, bearing in mind a lot of those protesters were armed.

• Like 1

Please enlighten me but I have a friend here who was here during the last coup. He says

NO NATIONWIDE CURFEW

NEWS and media was still running

TV Stations were not closed.

Is his wrong?

Or is this to prepare for some more serious news? To aviod panic and mayhem or is it because the army had news of some bad things about to happen?

The general has been very patient and moderate and this seems totally out of place for what he has been trying to achieve for so many months showing leadership and guidance which has been ignored until now.

this is not a coup, yet, martial law is for civil order, the government has not changed, stay calm

The general declared it is a coup. The have have then arrested the senior members of PDRC and PTP. They have declared a nationwide curfew.

This was all official; and effective as of 6 PM or so.

• Like 1

I try to encourage my kids to follow current affairs, but it's a struggle. All of a sudden my daughter's interested in this curfew and asking a lot of questions and reading the latest breaking news.

Turns out she's worried about her next week's graduation party.

Sigh...

T

• Like 1

And what about late international flights?

Bona fide passengers are exempt from the curfew. Best take a printout of your ticket if leaving.

Edit: To be able to show at checkpoints

Edited by Bpuumike

Night time curfew means the destruction of the tourism industry and all the impoverished ladies working in Pattaya and Phuket will have to go back to the rice farms and earn 200 bhat a day. This is punishing the poor red shirts who no longer have their daughters and ladyboy sons send money back home to feed their families

They should be getting 300 baht a day.

They don't work for 200 baht a day any more.

A quote from "game of thrones"

In time of war, majority ot the areas in any country seem peaceful...

Stop the drama on TV lol....

Bangkok is curfew to avoid any bombs or gunners... This aint bad news...

Might save some children....

Why is the curdfew NATIONWIDE as I have seen it first hand in Chiang Mai ... Not seen before.

Cause NATIONWIDE has a nice ring to it.

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Many tourists enjoy the night life of Thailand. This is a nail in the coffin for tourism if they are going to be confined to thier hotel rooms after saving all year for a holiday.

My understanding is that tourism only represents about 12% of GDP. I doubt they are not too concerned about tourists as a whole. Clearly, Pattaya etc. will be

Really; did you follow the Rayong oil spill. Believe me; Thailand is very concerned about tourists. It impacts the country in more ways than people think; international trade, investment, etc............

My sympathy is with all the people who actually work for a living at night.

It seems odd to impose a curfew on 100% at night time when the presumed issue is with 0.1% during daylight.

Edited by noodle
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

...oh boy this has come at a PERFECT Time... [NOT]

Haven't had a LATE Night out for ages...

Arranged a night out in cowboy for tonight as a friend from UK just arrived 2 days ago...what a BUMMERfacepalm.gif alt=facepalm.gif>

The army may reconsider the curfew...now knowing you guys have been inconvenienced...

• Like 2

Even the roadside bars in CM are closing. I'm sure the ones further out are open though.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BLISS! The karaoke bar - that one with the tone deaf crooner drunk.gif - just near us is SHUT. Halold Melwin and the Bumnotes have lost their gig tonight. Could be a sleep bonus due to the curfew.

Ah well, it's an ill wind....tongue.png

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see how this is enforced in Pattaya. Will be a ghost town if they really mean business.

today have to play darts , but postponned because these ridiculis rules, what falangs have do do with this, and yes 9.30 pm pattaya seems neearly like a ghost town, 70 % closed, but what about people who as to go work from 4.00Pm untill 01.am they can not walk the streets to go home ? crazy bussinness al this things, ok for BKK but not fot Pattaya and others'

Do the police cooperate and assist the army in a situation like this?

I hope not, with a bit of luck they've also been ordered off the streets.

Finish work in two weeks then I am off to the Philippines, and I am not coming back

Byeeee!

A quote from "game of thrones"

In time of war, majority ot the areas in any country seem peaceful...

Stop the drama on TV lol....

Bangkok is curfew to avoid any bombs or gunners... This aint bad news...

Might save some children....

Why is the curdfew NATIONWIDE as I have seen it first hand in Chiang Mai ... Not seen before.

Consider who, and their supporters, live in and around CM.

The North East too, where the curfew is very much being observed.

Will be interesting to see how this is enforced in Pattaya. Will be a ghost town if they really mean business.

today have to play darts , but postponned because these ridiculis rules, what falangs have do do with this, and yes 9.30 pm pattaya seems neearly like a ghost town, 70 % closed, but what about people who as to go work from 4.00Pm untill 01.am they can not walk the streets to go home ? crazy bussinness al this things, ok for BKK but not fot Pattaya and others'

Announcement from the army clearly said that shiftworkers would be exempt from curfew if they cleared it with local troops.

My sympathy is with all the people who actually work for a living at night.

It seems odd to impose a curfew on 100% at night time when the presumed issue is with 0.1% during daylight.

My girlfriend is working in a hotel tonight, finishing at midnight. She's not sure how she can go home with no buses or taxis around. Probably will have to sleep there for the night.

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Many tourists enjoy the night life of Thailand. This is a nail in the coffin for tourism if they are going to be confined to thier hotel rooms after saving all year for a holiday.

Pfffffff.... no it's not. The hotels are handing out DVD's and VCD's for everyone to while away their time. Most of the hotels near my place in Samui still have their bars open so their guests can go there if they like.

Most of the tourists come here for the beaches and the daytime activities, despite what you (and others around the world) may think about the nighttime carnal festivities.

Actually, it kinda pisses me off when my buddies back in Canada spout the same old rhetoric about "Oooooo, mista, love you long time!" Yes, there's that side of things here, but it's only prevalent because it's not hidden in the shadows (or online) like it is in the West. That said, I'm not one to pass judgement on anyone if they choose to enjoy all that this country has to offer. In my opinion, you either pay for love up front (which is cheaper) or pay for it for the duration of your marriage ;-) but regardless, there's always a price to be paid.

And if you're so inclined to want a wee-bit-o-fun with a bargirl (or kathoey... if that's your thing - and nothing wrong with that if it is ;-) ) consider yourself lucky that a short time may turn into a long time for no extra cost, courtesy of the military. I would just say thank you and move along.

Edited by chachmarach
  • Like 2