Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

You wake up one day and find yourself in a military run country - who would have thought such a thing could happen ?

I think anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming.

Did you see it coming ?

yep sure did.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For you guys on the prowl for companionship each evening, just think of this as speed dating with a ticking clock. Hey sweetie, you want to be stuck here till 5am or do you want to come home with me and I will show you my etchings.
I have fond memories of some of the early coups. The nighttime rules changed but the games continued. This is number 8 for me but none of that matters because I settled down after 20 years of being single in Bangkok and now live upcountry.

If this is your 8th coup, that means your first was on Sept 21 1957 , yet you were only born in 1954, and did not come to Thailand until you had completed your studies, sorry, but your dates do not match up. But thank you for letting us know that you have lived here soooooooooo long. :-)

Oh? Savvy about military dictatorships are you?

Do you not travel to any of the surrounding countries ever?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I ask a question and I get another question. Can you please tell us what is going on in Gen Prayuth's military mind with quotes like this:

"The coup was intended to allow reform of the country's political, economic and social structure to ensure fairness for everyone." (from an alleged reliable source which has not yet been censored)

Now where have I heard that phrase "fairness for everyone" before? Let me think

Get back to me ASAP before Gen Praythey shuts down the internet.

PS: The question remains: Can you read Prayuth's mind? Can you predict his actions? How do you think Yingluck will look in jungle-green camo outfit? Or do you think she she should go with the desert-tan?

Haha. I think yingluck will be wearing designer labels as always and most likely riding in a private jet to meet big bro in Dubai.

Gen Puyuth is most likely thinking about rounding up all the extremists; I am pretty sure he is not looking Max Yakov with some sinister plan to throw him in jail - unless you are secret spy on evil mission? No I don't think you need to worry about the general. I can not read his mind but feel perfectly safe with him running the country. I am more worried about some red shirt extremists going on a bombing campaign. I pray the military can avert any serious blood shed.

Keep calm and carry on.

smile.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yuh, dude. I'd probably be calmer if I were smoking what you obviously are. You might want to check out his bio: Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha (Wiki) paying particular attention to:

"After the 2006 Thai coup d'état, Prayuth was appointed to the National Legislative Assembly. In this capacity, he joined the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources. Prayuth sits on the executive boards of a number of companies including the state electricity utility companies MEA. From 2007 to 2010 he was Independent Director at Thai Oil Public Co Ltd and since October 7, 2010 he has been a Director of the Thai Military Bank."

Let me ask you a very simple question (for starters):

Is it plausible that the Thai military is absolutely not corrupt in any way and is absolutely not corruptible?

I'm sure closing all the 7/11 stores (and just about everything else) from 2200 to 0500 will greatly assist him in isolating those 'extremists', eh? I do see a lot of them there at the wee hours of the morning. I can usually identify them by their tattoos and other clues, myself.

Edited by MaxYakov

probably won't apply to some tourists areas, can't imagine all of them sitting in their hotel drinking beer and watching TV. smile.png They can do that back in their falang country.

Which TV programs?

Did you mean 'what' programs? All my 75 cable channels were either dead-air or propaganda test patterns.

For you guys on the prowl for companionship each evening, just think of this as speed dating with a ticking clock. Hey sweetie, you want to be stuck here till 5am or do you want to come home with me and I will show you my etchings.
I have fond memories of some of the early coups. The nighttime rules changed but the games continued. This is number 8 for me but none of that matters because I settled down after 20 years of being single in Bangkok and now live upcountry.

If this is your 8th coup, that means your first was on Sept 21 1957 , yet you were only born in 1954, and did not come to Thailand until you had completed your studies, sorry, but your dates do not match up. But thank you for letting us know that you have lived here soooooooooo long. :-)

Isn't that what's called literary license? 555

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only in thailand announce a curfew 4 hours before it starts. Mickey mouse country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quite thoughtless of them. They should have announced the coup a couple of days ago so that some could come to terms with the curfew in slow time.....................coffee1.gif

Curfew??? Time to leave ASAP!

Grow Up!

I left 3 weeks ago. Grow up what? What fun is there to be in this country now? Not just everybody like you have to stay. Some are grown up enough to freely decide when to quit.

Obviously, this country is going down the tube.

• Like 1

Grow Up!

I left 3 weeks ago. Grow up what? What fun is there to be in this country now? Not just everybody like you have to stay. Some are grown up enough to freely decide when to quit.

You were right to leave, this is no place for you.

Have you always been a quitter ?

The fun continues today - just another day in Paradise.

• Like 1

Grow Up!

You were right to leave, this is no place for you.

Have you always been a quitter ?

The fun continues today - just another day in Paradise.

You are absolutely right: This is no place for me.

Quitter? Oh yes. In February 1994 I was in Rwanda as a civilian instructor. I left and was called a quitter too. The rest is history.

The days left to your "paradise" are counted.

Edited by Gil

Isn't that what's called literary license? 555

You are right I suppose, as I guess I tend to include the attempted Coups like when they tried to oust Prem. They ended up not being successful, but there were still tanks in the streets and nothing but marching music on the radio. The attempts were interesting as one waited around for news as to which side prevailed. Generally if you couldn't consolidate power in the first 48 hours then you had failed. They don’t seem to label everything the same and sometimes use words like event, crisis, and massacre. Still my running count since 1975 is eight.

Not quite sure why you say that. Because the army has taken over? Again? I feel safer on BKK's streets now than when various colored shirts were taking pot-shots at each other.

Good morning! My boyfriend and I have plans to travel to Thailand Monday, May 26th. Is there anyone living in the area that can shed a little light on the safety of the area (Bangkok, Sumai). Also, have they given a suggested end to the curfew? It would be helpful to hear from people in the area, rather than relying only on media coverage. If it is unsafe we will have to try to make some last min. travel changes. Thank you so much!

As others have said - stay tuned.

Today second day of coup things look the same in Rama 4 road area where I live -- just quieter.

Here's my 2cents worth...

If you leave Bangkok shortly after arriving...say to go to the Islands koh samui etc,. ETC. Then just avoid the dodgy areas in Bangkok.

The other thing to consider is see if your travel agent can offer a full refund or change destination?

BUT what the heck do I know I've only been coming here for 23 years...violin.gif

Not quite sure why you say that. Because the army has taken over? Again? I feel safer on BKK's streets now than when various colored shirts were taking pot-shots at each other.

So then you assume that the colored shirts are knocked out.

Thai people are among the most vengeful in the world.

The country, after this sharp tourist rebuff, has not much to loose anymore. They are now asian last in many things: rice exporters, english speaking, tourist destination. And when a country decides that there's not much to loose, anything can happen, especially with an army like this one...

Call me drama queen if you want... I'm safe here in Canada! ... and I made it to happen: CNX-YUL

Edited by Gil

Chiang Mai near the Ping river in town.

Short trip home from a mates place 1am this morning, didn't see anyone, not even a tuk tuk.

Yes, Thainess has taken a big hit in Din Daeng, Bangkok as well. The sidewalks were rolled-up (or could have been), the kids are falling behind on their internet game competition and even the motorbike exhibitionists were not to be seen. Very nice.

Expect a "baby boom" in 9 months or so. They should name the males Prayuth and the females Yingluck.

I regret having read through most of this thread.

Astonishing how little so many TV members know about the country they're supposedly living in.

This is real. It is not a run-through.

If you don't want to take a lot of unpleasant consequences, go home and take a break.

The US government has already denounced the coup, and every jurist with an above room temperature IQ knows it's illegal.

All bets are off now, and if you think you have any answers, worse fool you.

My only concern is how I will shelter my wife down the road. The people who live here have a much more serious problem than a flock of expat <deleted> can even imagine.

When you have been here a bit longer,you will realise it is a run through,for the next time.A lot of us have seen this many times before.As far as the US is concerned,does anybody listen to them anymore,what are they going to do.I think you should go down the road to be with your wife so she can hold your hand.

10pm curfew? I don't like my freedom restricted; time to leave ASAP!

On Canadian news, the Thai Ambassador to Canada said it isn't really a curfew as anyone can walk around after hours and do what they want as long as they have a legal ID (passport) and papers with them.

Edited by dude123

There have been some posts on Thai social media re: the curfew times possibly being modified to Midnight to 04:00, has anyone seen or heard anything official?

Do you really believe social media ahead of officialdom (who calls the tune)?

The near anonymity of social media allows any one to say anything whether it is true or not.

Edited by lvr181