How Will a Military Coup Affect Home Lending Rates

My Thai wife is in the process of refinancing her home in Bangkok but hasn't closed yet.

She is refinancing from Siam bank to the Government Bank.

I'm thinking that interest rates may drop with the Thai baht but I don't know anything about banking.

I'm thinking that maybe she should wait and see.

What do you think?

The odds are greater that interest rates will go up. If the markets really went after the baht, then interest rates would have to rise. As to whether they will or not..... I would be more concerned if I thought there was likely to be mayhem in the markets for the credit agreement to be withdrawn, so therefore inclined to march down to the bank tomorrow and close on the deal on the table.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

The odds are greater that interest rates will go up. If the markets really went after the baht, then interest rates would have to rise. As to whether they will or not..... I would be more concerned if I thought there was likely to be mayhem in the markets for the credit agreement to be withdrawn, so therefore inclined to march down to the bank tomorrow and close on the deal on the table.

Trying to do due diligence, I'm tending to agree with your 'interest rates will go up' and that we should close the deal quickly. Before the coup, the banks said to meet at the Land Office next Friday so we will see if that still happens. Anyway, I'll stop worrying and be happy.