Military Law Money And maybe baht Crash

chiangmai2014

You can Not compare credite Suisse, Royal Bank scotland ... With Thailand. At The Moment it. Exist nö Human Fights. If they wanna arest you Or Shot You they can do it. The Economics Situation depends on The Tourist And foreigners like Pensionärs or People WHO made business here with their Thai wife. Propertys, Restaurants, Fashion, Mals, Hotels.....They all live from The Tourist And The Money from them. Be realistic

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Thaivisa Connect Thailand

90% of Thai economy not tourist related. Thailand is a newly industrialized country. Its economy is heavily export-dependent, with exports accounting for more than two-thirds of its gross domestic product (GDP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez man, don't panic.

The bars closing at 10pm don't equate to an "economic crash". The likelihood is that the curfew will be lifted reasonably quickly once the retail and entertainment sectors start complaining...

Don't panic! You took the words right out of my mouth. Great advice.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The tourist will keep the baht up. Always has.

Tourist dollars have very little to do with "keeping the baht up" as you put it. The Thai baht is strong against most of the major world currencies because of overseas investment in Thailand over the past 7-8 years, and also many years of extremely low interest rates around the globe. This has been a perfect storm in favor of the baht, however this military takeover could be the impetus for the a turn in foreign investor strategy and that coupled with the begining of a multi year rise in interest rates in the west could put the baht in for a long cycle of losing value.wink.png

Tourism has historically constitued about 9% of the Thai economy. That's quite an influx of foreign currency.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

During the flooding the baht also not crashed

Thai banks have enough gold in the Poket to hold baht on same level

Another major misconception! The BOT and the "Thai banks " have very little control over where the baht moves. As international hedge funds, banks and investors have poured the easy money into Thailand over the past 8 years, they have had to buy baht in order to buy shares on the SET and other real estate and direct business investments, as those investments get "cashed in" theses folks will be massive sellers of the baht as they repatriate their funds. Thailand is a small country and these international investors are big players, think of Thailand like a dogs tail, and as we all know the dog wags the tail the tail does not wag the dog thumbsup.gif

So, what you're saying is that these savvy international investors will be selling out en masse, create a run on the baht, and thereby slit their own throats?

Really?

Edited by quidnunc

There will not be any problems regarding the Thai banks and financial institutions during this military coup. In fact if it manages to weaken the baht (which unfortunately I doubt will happen) this could be of benefit.

The time to worry is if this political dispute escalates into a civil war and what usually happens during civil wars is that bank accounts can be frozen and bank customers refused access to their savings, especially for foreigners.

But for the time being it is business as usual and for those who have concerns I can only suggest withdrawing all your monies from the banks and hiding it under the mattress.

Much ado about nothing.

I do hope the Thai baht deflates as much as possible though, maybe then for once we will hear some of the constant groaning Thai hating expats rejoice instead of moaning about "What it used to be like back in the day."

Wouldn't hold my breath though, there will always be something else to moan about.

43 percent of The Economics in Thailand Are in construction And buildings. But for who? WHO will buy those buildings in The end?

Someone else posted in this thread that 2/3 or 67% of thailand's gdp is export based. 9% of the economy is tourism based. (although I read somewhere that tourism & travel together constitute 20% of GDP not sure what that means) Now we have 43% in construction. If you add domestic consumption and such in I suspect we will be closing in on 200%. Where are all these numbers coming from? Mfaybe the owners of the restaurant Isaan 1 million percent could help us out?

• Like 1

43 percent of The Economics in Thailand Are in construction And buildings. But for who? WHO will buy those buildings in The end?

Someone else posted in this thread that 2/3 or 67% of thailand's gdp is export based. 9% of the economy is tourism based. (although I read somewhere that tourism & travel together constitute 20% of GDP not sure what that means) Now we have 43% in construction. If you add domestic consumption and such in I suspect we will be closing in on 200%. Where are all these numbers coming from? Mfaybe the owners of the restaurant Isaan 1 million percent could help us out?

Thats exactly the garbage I was talking about. Posts trying to impress people they don't know with statistics drawn from thin air about something they know nothing about.

The baht has been artificially inflated for years. Bring on the crash...

How would one go about artificially inflating a currency.

By the Thai government buying the baht when it seems to be flagging.

They would have to sell something in order to do that, typically that would be some of their USD foreign currency reserves - if you look at the BOT figures you'll see they haven't done that, perhaps they've been selling somtam instead.

http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=94&language=ENG

Tourists come to Thailand to have Fun And Not be locked at 22 Clock like in The jail

Without tourists their Would bei Not so much Investors invest in That Country.

Export in 2013 was 163 Billion Import is 153 Billion. Stays 10 Billion

Tourists come to Thailand to have Fun And Not be locked at 22 Clock like in The jail

Thailand is a newly industrialized country. Its economy is heavily export-dependent, with exports accounting for more than two-thirds of its gross domestic product.

and an account surplus of 0.7 percent of the country's GDP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

People WHO Are Talking here about that The Military Law Not Affects on Thai Economy should read Bangkok post business from today!!! Malls loosing 20 Million baht per Day, Honda And Car business over 60 percent stop Productions And so on.

The Central Bank keeps The bäht stable but i ASK myself for how long.

Edited by chiangmai2014

mai pen rai, not the first, nor the last coup ...

asean 2015 is hereby cancelled for thailand

no need for competition & other stuff, not thai anyway

If this were to happen (AEC), then we would see some real damage. All the car makers would leave as they are here for access to the AEC. Same for many other industries. That would be irreversible damage that would not come back for a generation.

You can Not compare credite Suisse, Royal Bank scotland ... With Thailand. At The Moment it. Exist nö Human Fights. If they wanna arest you Or Shot You they can do it. The Economics Situation depends on The Tourist And foreigners like Pensionärs or People WHO made business here with their Thai wife. Propertys, Restaurants, Fashion, Mals, Hotels.....They all live from The Tourist And The Money from them. Be realistic

there is someone who truly does not understand the Thai economy!

• Like 2

where on earth did you read that????

please; enough of your misinformation.

Dont Unverstand what you mean. My english is Not so Good

I am German

Thai Visa can not quote the Bangkok Post. So nothing you say can be checked. So it is not true because it can't be verified.