International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

Thaksin wanted a coup so bad, and as things turned out he's not getting the traction he had hoped for.

Good job Prayuth!

Thaksin wanted a coup? Can you defend that statement with references to verifiable facts?

With his strength at the time with the reds uprising to stir up trouble it did seem that way, and because of that voting power a coup would have been in his favour saying it was their intervention. He thought this would give him further power in ballots.

Big problem happened when the findings by the courts and the exposure tipped the balance, the reds were threatening BKK etc, so Prayuth stepped in to prevent bloodshed.

To this day the improvements and ideas have way outshone anything that PTP did so it now looks like the Shins will not regain anything.

Seems like speculation based on tortured logic. Did you miss the part "...with references to verifiable facts?"

I did write a post several days ago that pointed out that when elections are eventually held the memories of the incompetence of the Yingluck government will be overshadowed by the memories of the coup, resulting in another Yingluck martyr and greater influence for the Shinawatra family. At the time the prediction generated outrage among some posters. Do you agree with it?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An election does not a democracy make. "Elections Do Not Make Democracy" "Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."

"But when you talk about destruction. Don't you know that you can count me out. But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao. You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow."

We get it; you don't like democracy, or at least not when you disagree with the election results. Now tell us what you think should replace it.

Quote "We get it" how many is we ??

Thailand did not get democracy when PTP were democratically elected --so what is your style democracy ??? elect them in again and they rule undemocratically again. DOH.

Lets face it until Thailand is cleaned up with a fine tooth comb (as is being done this minute) Democracy will not exist.

Repeat after me---"Elections do not make democracy" repeat it again please. DOH.

Repeat after me--"You can't have democracy without elections." Repeat it again please. DOH.

Now repeat--"It's still a democracy even if I don't like the results." Repeat it again please. DOH-DOH.

You're lucky in one regard, censorship prevents me from refuting you assumption that the current government will clean up society.

Repeat after me--"You can't have democracy without elections." Repeat it again please. DOH.

Why...? xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

• Like 1

We get it; you don't like democracy, or at least not when you disagree with the election results. Now tell us what you think should replace it.

Um, a world without greedy, lying politicians where humans are honest and able to organize their own destiny for the good of all?

You want to live in a Disney movie?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

-- George Bernard Shaw

That's nice, how are you going to go about adapting the world to your ideals? Do you think a military government is the correct approach?

A timeline with (if I remember correctly) three main phases leading to elections later 2015. You may think that to be 'not very useful', but I'm afraid the NCPO didn't really take your reaction into consideration.

As for your question, I thought that by now you'd understand that I will not give an answer to the question which changes in phrasing with every try you do.

BTW why would people who publicly bother others with their views need to even make an effort to stay broadly informed? I get the impression some really like to promote their views with a single mindedness which can (frankly) be called astounding.

"As for your question, I thought that by now you'd understand that I will not give an answer to the question which changes in phrasing with every try you do."

While you have repeatedly implied checking outside news sources is dangerous (post #1196 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728548-international-alarm-mounts-over-thai-coup/page-48), you repeatedly dodge answering a simple yes/no question on the subject it no matter how it is phrased.

"BTW why would people who publicly bother others with their views need to even make an effort to stay broadly informed? I get the impression some really like to promote their views with a single mindedness which can (frankly) be called astounding."

If I ignore the "publicly bother" part I think you are asking why people who post their views should stay broadly informed. What's the point in posting ignorant views? Also, if you're bothered by people posting on TV forum, why do you keep coming back to it?

You like to turn things round, now don't you?

Pray tell why would I answer a simple question? Just because you are asking it?

Furthermore you do raise a very valid point "What's the point in posting ignorant views?" I have no idea why some do that.

BTW I'm not bothered, it's the other way round. It seems some like to bother others, at least seem to try such.

From your totally unbothered (5-1) Dutch uncle rublsmile.png

• Like 1

Looking in the wrong place? Should I start digging in Rayong (again) you mean?

Anyway, I know I'm good but typing with my eyes closed is not amongst my skills.

With eyes wide shut or so,

uncle rubl

“Fundamental rights at stake in Thailand” – UN experts concerned about arbitrary detentions and restrictions

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=14696&LangID=E

If the detentions and restrictions were arbitrary I would also be worried. Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that their is reason behind this even if we cannot read those reasons from Thai news sources rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Um, a world without greedy, lying politicians where humans are honest and able to organize their own destiny for the good of all?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

-- George Bernard Shaw

That's nice, how are you going to go about adapting the world to your ideals? Do you think a military government is the correct approach?

As for your question, I thought that by now you'd understand that I will not give an answer to the question which changes in phrasing with every try you do.

-- Heybruce

So now the question is about a military government?

Thaksin wanted a coup so bad, and as things turned out he's not getting the traction he had hoped for.

Good job Prayuth!

Thaksin wanted a coup? Can you defend that statement with references to verifiable facts?

With his strength at the time with the reds uprising to stir up trouble it did seem that way, and because of that voting power a coup would have been in his favour saying it was their intervention. He thought this would give him further power in ballots.

Big problem happened when the findings by the courts and the exposure tipped the balance, the reds were threatening BKK etc, so Prayuth stepped in to prevent bloodshed.

To this day the improvements and ideas have way outshone anything that PTP did so it now looks like the Shins will not regain anything.

Seems like speculation based on tortured logic. Did you miss the part "...with references to verifiable facts?"

I did write a post several days ago that pointed out that when elections are eventually held the memories of the incompetence of the Yingluck government will be overshadowed by the memories of the coup, resulting in another Yingluck martyr and greater influence for the Shinawatra family. At the time the prediction generated outrage among some posters. Do you agree with it?

You are too far entrenched with your Shins beliefs, that no discussion is worthwhile re the Yingluck/Thaksin/PTP. Near everyone on TVF on political issues re PTP are critical of their governing. Just a small smuttering of biased shin supporters praised them.

My position is quite clear about the next outcome in the polling booths, PTP Shins have now no chance, unless the army reverses it's present trend of cleaning up.

Let go get some sort of outlet -refresh.

• Like 1

A timeline with (if I remember correctly) three main phases leading to elections later 2015. You may think that to be 'not very useful', but I'm afraid the NCPO didn't really take your reaction into consideration.

BTW why would people who publicly bother others with their views need to even make an effort to stay broadly informed? I get the impression some really like to promote their views with a single mindedness which can (frankly) be called astounding.

"As for your question, I thought that by now you'd understand that I will not give an answer to the question which changes in phrasing with every try you do."

While you have repeatedly implied checking outside news sources is dangerous (post #1196 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728548-international-alarm-mounts-over-thai-coup/page-48), you repeatedly dodge answering a simple yes/no question on the subject it no matter how it is phrased.

"BTW why would people who publicly bother others with their views need to even make an effort to stay broadly informed? I get the impression some really like to promote their views with a single mindedness which can (frankly) be called astounding."

If I ignore the "publicly bother" part I think you are asking why people who post their views should stay broadly informed. What's the point in posting ignorant views? Also, if you're bothered by people posting on TV forum, why do you keep coming back to it?

Furthermore you do raise a very valid point "What's the point in posting ignorant views?" I have no idea why some do that.

BTW I'm not bothered, it's the other way round. It seems some like to bother others, at least seem to try such.

"Pray tell why would I answer a simple question? Just because you are asking it?"

Because you did your best to convince people they should not look for news from sources outside of Thailand. Repeating an ealier post:

"For example in post #1012 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728548-international-alarm-mounts-over-thai-coup/page-41 you wrote:

"Well, nice for you, but those of us in Thailand cannot see all news sources outside Thailand. Even using VPN is forbidden and was already mentioned in the Criminal Computer Act the Yingluck government liked so much."

In post #1018 you wrote:

"Well, it seems you learned something new today. Bypassing censorship is illegal, describing how to use VPN to do such is against forum rules,"

And above you wrote:

"It almost looks like you are just acting as an 'agent provocateur', trying to get us innocent TVF members to act in an unlawful manner in order to report us to the NCPO."

This implies I was urging people to do something illegal by encouraging them to check the internet for uncensored news while cautioning them against disseminating news that might fall into the censored category.

In summary, you stated "using a VPN is forbidden", "Bypassing censorship is illegal" and suggested I'm an "agent provocateur" for encouraging people to stay informed using uncensored news. Can you provide any rule, regulation, law, military order or anything else that would support these statements? Or do you just object to people staying informed?"

You've been dodging your earlier posts ever since.

-- George Bernard Shaw

-- Heybruce

So now the question is about a military government?

Let's get back to the original statement that began this in post #1298:

"We get it; you don't like democracy, or at least not when you disagree with the election results. Now tell us what you think should replace it."

in which you replied:

"Um, a world without greedy, lying politicians where humans are honest and able to organize their own destiny for the good of all?"

Do you have a real world reply?

Also, that's not my statement you attributed to me.

Looking in the wrong place? Should I start digging in Rayong (again) you mean?

Anyway, I know I'm good but typing with my eyes closed is not amongst my skills.

With eyes wide shut or so,

uncle rubl

“Fundamental rights at stake in Thailand” – UN experts concerned about arbitrary detentions and restrictions

If the detentions and restrictions were arbitrary I would also be worried. Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that their is reason behind this even if we cannot read those reasons from Thai news sources rolleyes.gif

I see, you have unquestioning faith in the military. What could go wrong with that?

• Like 2

I'm not going over these details yet again, or point out your abuse of the English language and your apocalyptic predictions of the future. You have made it very clear that you divide the world into the good anti-Thaksin camps, and everything else, which is bad. In your mind since the military deposed an elected government associated with Thaksin they must be good, and all who oppose must be bad. I've tried pointing out the real world necessity of choosing the lesser of two evils and the advantages of a system where a bad government can be changed through elections, but this doesn't agree with your paradigm so you reject it.

By the way, I'm also not defending the elections again. The 2011 elections were monitored and judged valid, and future elections could have been conducted in the same manner.

Against the TVF rules for posters to point out less than perfect written English.

It's normally against the rules of normality to defend non democratic regimes PTP.

My future vision is that Thailand is free from the likes of YOUR clan Shins.

You still do not grasp that demo elected is not a free pass to abuse the laws of government.

I am trying to say no one needs the Thaksin style of government --3 year have just proved it.

The army are far better than the PTP for in a very short time have made PTP an embarrassment.

I reject to get best democratic results and sound government elections are not always the only way---this has just been proved.

2011 elections were to my mind valid on paper......but the process was blown away big time by PTP so elections are NOT the answer at the moment.

Don't you feel shy now that things are moving along pretty smoothly in less than a month far more achieved than the last 3 years. so why argue ??

Election coup Suthep Dems Yellows --you want anymore excuses. All this sower taste you have because you bid failed and Yingluck did notget the chance to do a repeat government for 4 more years---thank god.

Let it all rest--I want to see from you if the army slips up badly then I will more than likely be a critic of them.

Does my nice short sentences suit your reading or is it still bad writing. ?? cheer up don't get your red knickers in a twist and enjoy.thumbsup.gif

"Does my nice short sentences suit your reading or is it still bad writing."

It's still pretty bad. Is English your first language?

I pointed out the foolishness of drawing broad conclusions based on a few weeks performance in an earlier post using a President Bush analogy, and you didn't get it. I won't try again.

You don't develop a mature, functioning democracy by letting the military topple the government and rewrite the constitution every five to ten years. I also don't put the military on as high a pedestal as you and many others do. However under current rules I can't expand on either of these points.

S#d off with the Bush type remarks --not interested.

You are in no position to point anything out now you and your ilk had your 3 years so put your Shins views where monkeys put their nuts.

Keep up the harassing of forward thinking posters who are trying to give moral support from dung to cleanliness.

Write a letter to the general telling him he is out of order and you want elections to try to get Thaksin back. give up now your getting boring --same old dung.

Up to you to get yourself sorted, and leave others with their suggestions for the future of Thailand without the bad army-good Thaksin rubbish.

You summed up your views nicely with "not interested".

After that you provided support for my claim that you see everything anti-Thaksin as an unqualified good and all else as bad.

"Pray tell why would I answer a simple question? Just because you are asking it?"

Because you did your best to convince people they should not look for news from sources outside of Thailand. Repeating an ealier post:

"For example in post #1012 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728548-international-alarm-mounts-over-thai-coup/page-41 you wrote:

"Well, nice for you, but those of us in Thailand cannot see all news sources outside Thailand. Even using VPN is forbidden and was already mentioned in the Criminal Computer Act the Yingluck government liked so much."

In post #1018 you wrote:

"Well, it seems you learned something new today. Bypassing censorship is illegal, describing how to use VPN to do such is against forum rules,"

And above you wrote:

"It almost looks like you are just acting as an 'agent provocateur', trying to get us innocent TVF members to act in an unlawful manner in order to report us to the NCPO."

This implies I was urging people to do something illegal by encouraging them to check the internet for uncensored news while cautioning them against disseminating news that might fall into the censored category.

In summary, you stated "using a VPN is forbidden", "Bypassing censorship is illegal" and suggested I'm an "agent provocateur" for encouraging people to stay informed using uncensored news. Can you provide any rule, regulation, law, military order or anything else that would support these statements? Or do you just object to people staying informed?"

You've been dodging your earlier posts ever since.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Against the TVF rules for posters to point out less than perfect written English.

It's normally against the rules of normality to defend non democratic regimes PTP.

My future vision is that Thailand is free from the likes of YOUR clan Shins.

You still do not grasp that demo elected is not a free pass to abuse the laws of government.

I am trying to say no one needs the Thaksin style of government --3 year have just proved it.

The army are far better than the PTP for in a very short time have made PTP an embarrassment.

I reject to get best democratic results and sound government elections are not always the only way---this has just been proved.

2011 elections were to my mind valid on paper......but the process was blown away big time by PTP so elections are NOT the answer at the moment.

Don't you feel shy now that things are moving along pretty smoothly in less than a month far more achieved than the last 3 years. so why argue ??

Election coup Suthep Dems Yellows --you want anymore excuses. All this sower taste you have because you bid failed and Yingluck did notget the chance to do a repeat government for 4 more years---thank god.

Let it all rest--I want to see from you if the army slips up badly then I will more than likely be a critic of them.

Does my nice short sentences suit your reading or is it still bad writing. ?? cheer up don't get your red knickers in a twist and enjoy.thumbsup.gif

"Does my nice short sentences suit your reading or is it still bad writing."

It's still pretty bad. Is English your first language?

I pointed out the foolishness of drawing broad conclusions based on a few weeks performance in an earlier post using a President Bush analogy, and you didn't get it. I won't try again.

You don't develop a mature, functioning democracy by letting the military topple the government and rewrite the constitution every five to ten years. I also don't put the military on as high a pedestal as you and many others do. However under current rules I can't expand on either of these points.

S#d off with the Bush type remarks --not interested.

You are in no position to point anything out now you and your ilk had your 3 years so put your Shins views where monkeys put their nuts.

Keep up the harassing of forward thinking posters who are trying to give moral support from dung to cleanliness.

Write a letter to the general telling him he is out of order and you want elections to try to get Thaksin back. give up now your getting boring --same old dung.

Up to you to get yourself sorted, and leave others with their suggestions for the future of Thailand without the bad army-good Thaksin rubbish.

You summed up your views nicely with "not interested".

After that you provided support for my claim that you see everything anti-Thaksin as an unqualified good and all else as bad.

Whatever you say --must be ok.. boring now. past your sell by date sorry but your like an old 78 record.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great Post.

Just dropping by to see if there is any Thaksin fans left. I see there is one.

some people just love corruption in your face. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great Post.

Just dropping by to see if there is any Thaksin fans left. I see there is one.

some people just love corruption in your face. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Nope, democracy and freedom of speech have left the building. No one left but fans of military rule.

Oh, and no corruption left either. As we all know, there is no corruption in the Thai military.

• Like 2

I try to convince people they should not look for news outside?

Maybe you need a refresher course in English.

I see, you have unquestioning faith in the military. What could go wrong with that?

If I remember correctly it was you who wrote in this topic that if only one would look at other news sources one would see an possible, different explanation of the motives of the Military / NCPO.

Of course none in my post gives any indication of an unquestionable faith in any one here.

Once again, your past posts:

"For example in post #1012 http://www.thaivisa....ai-coup/page-41 you wrote:

In post #1018 you wrote:

And above you wrote:

If I remember correctly it was you who wrote in this topic that if only one would look at other news sources one would see an possible, different explanation of the motives of the Military / NCPO.

Of course none in my post gives any indication of an unquestionable faith in any one here.

"Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that their is reason behind this..."

I see, you have an unquestioning faith in other posters, or at least the ones who write what you want to believe.

In post #1018 you wrote:

And above you wrote:

Once again, where do I try to convince people not to look at outside resources? I only caution.

• Like 1

"Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that their is reason behind this..."

I see, you have an unquestioning faith in other posters, or at least the ones who write what you want to believe.

Sarcasm and irony not your strong points?

Since you were the one talking about possibly different motives behind the NCPO actions, it would seem hilarious I'm now accused of having an unquestioning faith in what you write.biggrin.png

• Like 2

In post #1018 you wrote:

And above you wrote:

Once again, where do I try to convince people not to look at outside resources? I only caution.

"Even using VPN is forbidden...".

That's a strong caution.

Sarcasm and irony not your strong points?

Since you were the one talking about possibly different motives behind the NCPO actions, it would seem hilarious I'm now accused of having an unquestioning faith in what you write.biggrin.png

So you were using sarcasm and irony; interesting. Does this mean that you think the detentions and restrictions are arbitrary?

So you were using sarcasm and irony; interesting. Does this mean that you think the detentions and restrictions are arbitrary?

""If the detentions and restrictions were arbitrary I would also be worried. Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that there is reason behind this even if we cannot read those reasons from Thai news sources rolleyes.gif""

Even without those 'interesting' other news sources it seems clear that there is reason behind detentions and restrictions. No idea what made the 'UN experts concerned about arbitrary detentions and restrictions'. So far there seems to be no indication to justify that fear.

Maybe you in your search for 'broader views' have found some?

""If the detentions and restrictions were arbitrary I would also be worried. Fortunately I'm told by a few posters here, that there is reason behind this even if we cannot read those reasons from Thai news sources rolleyes.gif""

Even without those 'interesting' other news sources it seems clear that there is reason behind detentions and restrictions. No idea what made the 'UN experts concerned about arbitrary detentions and restrictions'. So far there seems to be no indication to justify that fear.

Maybe you in your search for 'broader views' have found some?

Sarcasm and irony again?

From the report:

"Particular concern was expressed with regard to the chilling effects of the summoning by the military of more than 440 individuals, including political leaders, academics, journalists and activists to army bases. Many remain in detention without access to family or lawyer. Some are held incommunicado in unknown locations and may be at risk of torture or ill-treatment."

The fact that people are summoned with no reason given and held incommunicado in unknown locations is cause for concern. I'm sure if the previous government had rounded up a few hundred prominent activists for unspecified reasons and held them under similar conditions you would have been concerned.