Protests Against Coup Continue in Bangkok

Lite Beer

No one knows yet what General Prayuth's real intentions are. He has good reason to worry about resistance. The pro-government Red-Shirt movement is far better organised than eight years ago, and could still be financed by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's deep pockets.
Johnathan Head on the bbc website.

Seems to be rather a change of heart from him.

That's because he is basically a whore.

Oh, and I was born British, and held great pride in the BBC before it turned into a tabloid.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure but they didn't use them to offer voters incentives.

Bad choice. Voter incentives would have been easier than what is going on now. Why do you think the Democrats win in the USA? People who don't work vote Democratic.

Abhisit is an intellectual, educated at Oxford. Yingluck got an "Honorary" degree (in what?) from Chiangmai University. There really isn't any comparison. Abhisit could have been a Statesman for Thailand if it wasn't for these fools. That's the tragedy.

• Like 1

The 'old elite power' won again. Again, they did it through forcing the people at 'gun point' and the judiciary they set up and interpret laws they've written in the way that suit only their agendas. Creating chaos and hardships to people and country they premeditated and engineered. There is no way they can win the hearts and minds of the people.

It is going to be interesting to see what the reform agendas will be and how the election will be conducted. This time, election boycott and violence could be nationwide, not just in the south and some central area if election laws and constituencies structures are changed to favour the dem. They could also be nationwide demonstrations and rallies calling for the reforming of the independence agencies, judiciaries, the senate, the military and the law enforcement agencies.

The 'old elite power' should adapted themselves to the reality of the emerging power of the people and find a way to engage the people in a positive manner. The people will always be around but not war weapons.

T

Sure but they didn't use them to offer voters incentives.

Bad choice. Voter incentives would have been easier than what is going on now. Why do you think the Democrats win in the USA? People who don't work vote Democratic.

Abhisit is an intellectual, educated at Oxford. Yingluck got an "Honorary" degree (in what?) from Chiangmai University. There really isn't any comparison. Abhisit could have been a Statesman for Thailand if it wasn't for these fools. That's the tragedy.

Stop lying. Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

• Like 1

No one knows yet what General Prayuth's real intentions are. He has good reason to worry about resistance. The pro-government Red-Shirt movement is far better organised than eight years ago, and could still be financed by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's deep pockets.
Johnathan Head on the bbc website.

Seems to be rather a change of heart from him.

That's because he is basically a whore.

Oh, and I was born British, and held great pride in the BBC before it turned into a tabloid.

The way they carry on you'd think Rupert Murdoch owned them. Or maybe he does????? Fox is #%$^

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How would you feel towards the Government you voted in if they proceeded to rob the country of US $100 Billion and when asked to account for it and show transparency they say 'we cannot because it is in the National Interest not to account for it'. This money has simply gone! Would you be happy then that those people should never have had your vote, should be impeached and kicked out of office and face jail. Thailand has not lost it's democracy, for the first time in 2 years it stands a chance of reclaiming it's dignity. With my hand on my heart this bunch of crooks deserved to be ousted for the benefit of the people of this country.

I pray that Prayuth brings in real reform, the first being one law for all, and that MP's are not immune from prosecution for criminal activities, the second being that you cannot face a law suit for defamation if you are telling the truth. When we have a system that will permit One Nation, One People, One Law then elections can stand and they have a good chance of being the first step in a proper democracy with those voted in to power working for the people rather than themselves.

Who would determine when there is a system in place with one law and a proper democracy?

One law to be followed by all is pretty simple. As for Democracy it is an evolving process to get a 'proper democracy', but at least if you stop corrupt MP's and make them accountable under law you stand a chance. The situation we have here is that MP's can (and are) corrupt and they have immunity from the law. If that is a recipe for a 'proper democracy' then I am a sandwich short of a picnic I will admit it.

How would you feel towards the Government you voted in if they proceeded to rob the country of US $100 Billion and when asked to account for it and show transparency they say 'we cannot because it is in the National Interest not to account for it'. This money has simply gone! Would you be happy then that those people should never have had your vote, should be impeached and kicked out of office and face jail. Thailand has not lost it's democracy, for the first time in 2 years it stands a chance of reclaiming it's dignity. With my hand on my heart this bunch of crooks deserved to be ousted for the benefit of the people of this country.

I pray that Prayuth brings in real reform, the first being one law for all, and that MP's are not immune from prosecution for criminal activities, the second being that you cannot face a law suit for defamation if you are telling the truth. When we have a system that will permit One Nation, One People, One Law then elections can stand and they have a good chance of being the first step in a proper democracy with those voted in to power working for the people rather than themselves.

Jim, the British Government has wasted Billions of pounds of taxpayers money especially when Labour where in power, they wasted Billions on failed Defence contracts, Chinook Helicopters that couldn't fly in the Dark, Apache Helicopters that couldn't fire the missiles to name but a few, the money wasted on Aircraft carriers, submarines.. and yep, you guessed it, the Defence Ministers couldn't and wouldn't put their hands up for the miss management of funds, so it's NOT just Thailand that lacks accountability, I'm pretty sure some of the American TVF members could also come up with plenty of examples of squandered funding, and zero accountability.

Ah, the key difference is that money was squandered on projects that were not properly considered. Here we have the simple fact that the money has gone to a bunch of MP's into their own pockets, their own bank accounts. I think you can clearly see the difference. One is inept the other is not only inept but criminally corrupt.

What a bunch of effeminate people you are! Are you blind or mentally retarded? Can you not see that this was the only way out? Jeez, am I glad that I didn’t get my degree at your university. And you wonder why your degree isn’t accepted internationally, and why you find it so difficult to find a job.

There has never been a problem with vote buying in Thailand. It was always an accepted part of Thai Politics. What changed all that is when the Shins decided to be clever and use Public Funds to influence voters. How could any Opposition compete?

I think you forgot who was in power during the last election. The current party had no access to pubic funds.

The side that lost had the access to the public funds.

You know very well what ATF was referring to.

Nope. The side that has the most money and access to public funds lost.

Indeed, Korn even admitted to outspending PTP and concluding that vote buying had a limited effect on the outcome of the previous election.

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

Oh the naivete! It's all very well to talk about democracy and one man one vote.......but why have you not considered that when votes are bought, it is not a true reflection of the will of the people?

These students too, I have no doubt were influenced. Not by money, perhaps, but by weasely words. This march was not done by critically thinking tertiary students, it was done by students who were swayed by something.superficial.

" Oh the naivete! "

are you talking about yourself ?giggle.gif

Ah, the key difference is that money was squandered on projects that were not properly considered. Here we have the simple fact that the money has gone to a bunch of MP's into their own pockets, their own bank accounts. I think you can clearly see the difference. One is inept the other is not only inept but criminally corrupt.

Judges, police, politicians, military; who is going to determine who is honest?

Stop lying. Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

As I said there is no comparison KSU is hardly a breeding ground for Presidents and Prime Ministers but seems like one of their latest and greatest was a Filipino basketball player. The Shins own Chiang Mai she probably didn't even have to turn up. LOL.

• Like 1

As I said there is no comparison KSU is hardly a breeding ground for Presidents and Prime Ministers but seems like one of their latest and greatest was a Filipino basketball player. The Shins own Chiang Mai she probably didn't even have to turn up. LOL.

Lies and innuendo and character assignation instead of facts. Why or how can anyone respond.

Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

Lies and innuendo and character assignation instead of facts. Why or how can anyone respond.

Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

Public Administration hardly qualifies her to be a PM. Maybe she could work in the Department of Labor. Abhisit is an intellectual he was groomed to be the next Chuan Leekpai. Just give me one good reason why anyone should support of believe her.

And what is administration? Little more than pushing paper around a desk and a filing cabinet. Who needs a degree in that!? Mind you, maybe if she had been better at collating and filing there would not have been such a mess with the rice pledging scheme, the car buying scheme, the buy a cheap Chinese tablet for schools scheme, the high speed railways scheme, and on and on. Simply utter incompetence and merely a telephone for square head, that is what she was.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

She won the election. Abhisit lost. She was removed by force and the country has been taken over by a military coup. Why are you going on about Yingluck? Her brother won an election and he was removed by a coup. Until the military get a PM they approve of they will keep removing them. Is this really news to you?

She and her brother were removed because they were caught with their fingers in the till. Just like someone working at 7-11. However the till was a lot bigger.

• Like 1

Can you expand on how she 'earned' a masters at Kentucky when she can barely speak or understand English?

The very uncomfortable truth that never gets directly answered as the unpalatable answer is she simply bribed her way to receiving it.

• Like 2

She won the election. Abhisit lost. She was removed by force and the country has been taken over by a military coup. Why are you going on about Yingluck? Her brother won an election and he was removed by a coup. Until the military get a PM they approve of they will keep removing them. Is this really news to you?

She and her brother were removed because they were caught with their fingers in the till. Just like someone working at 7-11. However the till was a lot bigger.

you seem to forget that theyre all the same and tarred with the same brush

any free man who has been robbed of his democracy surely will protest against the robbers

So what you are saying is if enough people stood up for Nixon then he shouldn't have been impeached?

... you don't want to talk about politics but...

Nice wind-up.

I thought you were talki about Britain!

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

Oh the naivete! It's all very well to talk about democracy and one man one vote.......but why have you not considered that when votes are bought, it is not a true reflection of the will of the people?

These students too, I have no doubt were influenced. Not by money, perhaps, but by weasely words. This march was not done by critically thinking tertiary students, it was done by students who were swayed by something.superficial.

" Oh the naivete! "

are you talking about yourself ?giggle.gif

any free man who has been robbed of his democracy surely will protest against the robbers

So what you are saying is if enough people stood up for Nixon then he shouldn't have been impeached?

Nixon was not impeached. That was Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.

OK let's split hairs if they hadn't agreed to leave office and they had popular support how would they have been removed?

OK let's split hairs if they hadn't agreed to leave office and they had popular support how would they have been removed?

Splitting hairs. My god man. Only two Presidents were ever impeached. Nixon had the support of the people after all he had just ended the Vietnam war and opened a door with China. He quit because he didn't want to go to jail. If you have the same confidence in the judicial system that would have sent Nixon to jail and the one that removed Yingluck raise your hand.