Protests Against Coup Continue in Bangkok

Lite Beer

Splitting hairs. My god man. Only two Presidents were ever impeached. Nixon had the support of the people after all he had just ended the Vietnam war and opened a door with China. He quit because he didn't want to go to jail. If you have the same confidence in the judicial system that would have sent Nixon to jail and the one that removed Yingluck raise your hand.

Thaksin was convicted by a Thai Court and a jail sentence imposed. Yingluck was also found guilty. They just won't accept it.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More character assassination of Yingluck, really tired of the misogyny. I bet you all are women hating, beer swilling sex pats or idiots who married hideous isaan women and have some farm or another up country and are resentful of the fact your wives own everything. The kind of ideas and politics you seem to vouch for are the politics of hate and envy. Yingluck is gone.

The vote buying bullshit keeps on raising it's head, don't you think all parties have done the same? Come on, really.

The army will have a problem that could spiral out of control if they install a democrat or democrat leaning puppet and rightly to.

Never mind students, it will be hairy arsed farmers armed to the teeth confronting the Thai army of conscripts on the streets and i do not relish the prospect.

Abihsit may be well educated but he was just as corrupt when he had his chance. Maybe his spot at Oxford was paid for , , corruption does not only exist here.

• Like 1

Who cares about American Politics? This is about Thailand, open another thread in the "don't give a <removed>" section if you want to keep measuring the size of your dicks ;)

More importantly did these protesters today disperse by 2200, or are they still there, waiting to see if the Army will respond? It didn't take long for anti coup sentiments to start showing, as expected, and it puts the Army, and General Prayuth very much under the spotlight, he can sit back and do nothing, and have his Martial Law flouted in his face, which could set a precedence for other protests to start springing up, or he can come down hard on them (which I suspect is the aim) painting the Army in the same light as 2010 all over again.

I doubt the General would rise to the bait, he may well sit back and see if the protests wane, or increase, and if they do, send in the troops to disperse them, using minimum force, and if they still don't disperse, then the ante will have been upped and he will go in and crack a few skulls to send a message that public disorder under his watch will not be tolerated.. pretty ironic really, as that's exactly what has been going on for the past 7 months. :D

I take my hat off to them for having the balls to go out there and protest in this touchy political climate.

And I taking my hat off for their flexibility.....being a commie but also taking money from the man in Dubai.....that is flexible thinking.

Please.............give it a rest.

And don't slur people bravely expressing their opinions at a difficult and dangerous time.

All power to their efforts.

• Like 1

More character assassination of Yingluck, really tired of the misogyny. I bet you all are women hating, beer swilling sex pats or idiots who married hideous isaan women and have some farm or another up country and are resentful of the fact your wives own everything. The kind of ideas and politics you seem to vouch for are the politics of hate and envy. Yingluck is gone.

The vote buying bullshit keeps on raising it's head, don't you think all parties have done the same? Come on, really.

The army will have a problem that could spiral out of control if they install a democrat or democrat leaning puppet and rightly to.

Never mind students, it will be hairy arsed farmers armed to the teeth confronting the Thai army of conscripts on the streets and i do not relish the prospect.

Abihsit may be well educated but he was just as corrupt when he had his chance. Maybe his spot at Oxford was paid for , , corruption does not only exist here.

Well pointless arguing with a Troll. However if the Red Shirts keep pushing then there will be unnecessary violence and death in Thailand. If you think the Shins are worth dying for be my guest and go for it.

• Like 1

Reading all this "farang" posts, I would suggest the military kicks out all "farang" who are in Thailand on "O" visas..... the level of posts would be at least higher educated.

• Like 1

Can you expand on how she 'earned' a masters at Kentucky when she can barely speak or understand English?

The very uncomfortable truth that never gets directly answered as the unpalatable answer is she simply bribed her way to receiving it.

Many people graduate from English speaking universities with less than perfect English speaking skills. If you have any proof link it. Why beat a dead horse. She is out of power. Someone else from her party will get elected next time and we will have the same thing all over again. People in the majority always win elections.

If the other side wants a win they should try and convince some more people they will do a better job than last time.

Most foreign students with a non-English natural tongue, would need to pass a test to even get in to a USA/UK/Aus university. Masters degrees generally require a better understanding of the language than a Bachelors. There is simply no way her level of the language would get her in, let alone pass her though, a real university - it was bought or someone else did it.

It is also naïve to believe that "People in the majority always win elections" - in many countries there sit PMs and Presidents that are far from the flavour of love of the people, but are elected anyway due to other pressures - Zimbabwe being a prime example. The playing field is not flat here - candidates cannot canvass where they want, propaganda, out and out lies and libel are abound, local pressures that are primarily feudal (like Moo Bahn Poo Yais), brainwashing, and severe lack of education all play a big part of elections here - as does vote buying and intimidation. Thailand's democracy has always been at most lip service.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While the Students are entitled to their opinion and their right to demonstrate I think their timing is very poor.

Right now polling indicates that most people are happy to have see some peace and stability returning to Thailand after a period of absolute insanity.

The military have most likely prevented a Red Shirt Terrorist attacks on Bangkok.

Let's relax and let life get back to normal.

Students please be patient.

Where is this poll you refer to ?

Well pointless arguing with a Troll. However if the Red Shirts keep pushing then there will be unnecessary violence and death in Thailand. If you think the Shins are worth dying for be my guest and go for it.

Yes ATF a true troll - and uninformed too

• Like 1

No one knows yet what General Prayuth's real intentions are. He has good reason to worry about resistance. The pro-government Red-Shirt movement is far better organised than eight years ago, and could still be financed by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's deep pockets.

Johnathan Head on the bbc website.

Seems to be rather a change of heart from him.

Thaksin is helpless. the new Prime Minister is investigating the financial dealings of the leaders of the red shirts. Their will be no more money coming from Dubai.

"They also insult the people, because they chose to seize power instead of letting politics solve the problem."

Just goes to show that we need education reform. To be in collage and think that politics is going to solve the problems. They might just as well be standing in the crowds listening to the red shirt rhetoric and talk of separation. They sure haven't got the brains required for a so so collage. More than likely buying their degrees.

"They also insult the people, because they chose to seize power instead of letting politics solve the problem."

But the problem could not be solved by politics you silly little boy, that's the whole thing. With no give and take/compromise, there is nothing. Stop protesting for the sake of it!

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

Ahem, the government was 'voted' in through one thing, money! How would you feel if the Tories were paying people £20 to vote for them?This not democracy, your meekness is misplaced and if you are unhappy to find yourself living in a country that has done the right thing by removing an utterly bent, shambolic, self-serving mess then I think it's time you went home.

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

How would you feel towards the Government you voted in if they proceeded to rob the country of US $100 Billion and when asked to account for it and show transparency they say 'we cannot because it is in the National Interest not to account for it'. This money has simply gone! Would you be happy then that those people should never have had your vote, should be impeached and kicked out of office and face jail. Thailand has not lost it's democracy, for the first time in 2 years it stands a chance of reclaiming it's dignity. With my hand on my heart this bunch of crooks deserved to be ousted for the benefit of the people of this country.

I pray that Prayuth brings in real reform, the first being one law for all, and that MP's are not immune from prosecution for criminal activities, the second being that you cannot face a law suit for defamation if you are telling the truth. When we have a system that will permit One Nation, One People, One Law then elections can stand and they have a good chance of being the first step in a proper democracy with those voted in to power working for the people rather than themselves.

Jim, the British Government has wasted Billions of pounds of taxpayers money especially when Labour where in power, they wasted Billions on failed Defence contracts, Chinook Helicopters that couldn't fly in the Dark, Apache Helicopters that couldn't fire the missiles to name but a few, the money wasted on Aircraft carriers, submarines.. and yep, you guessed it, the Defence Ministers couldn't and wouldn't put their hands up for the miss management of funds, so it's NOT just Thailand that lacks accountability, I'm pretty sure some of the American TVF members could also come up with plenty of examples of squandered funding, and zero accountability.

You're right Haggis. Certainly British defense procurement has a lot to answer for.

But politicians and civil servants in Britain, Aussie and the US get punished for it - forced to resign, find, imprisoned etc. Here, politicians of all persuasions never actually get punished. Lots of threats and silly law suits aimed at one another but the merry go around just continues. PTP were a classic example of refusing to be transparent, accountable and provide information - all covered up on the grounds of national security. &lt;deleted&gt;. That is not how any democratic government should act. Any government that does lie and cheat and refuse to obey the law has to go.

• Like 1

""Let us find the pigeon [symbol of democracy]," "We are coup generation," "Bring me back my damn votes,” and "Anti-Coup."" Do they want elections now ? Why not before ? Cowards.

Reading all this "farang" posts, I would suggest the military kicks out all "farang" who are in Thailand on "O" visas..... the level of posts would be at least higher educated.

I assume that I would not be wrong in assuming you defend the PTP?

When someone posts comments that abdicate breaking a principle of democracy called "Freedom of expression" then as a confirming factor belittle the people that don't agree with you, rest assured the regime that is defended must be the PTP.

Am I right? Of course I am….

Try learning what democracy means.

There seem to be several posts on the news forum from young Westerners "looking for a fight". Well guys let me tell you this is not the States or Europe. Stay well away from all conflict and demonstrations. There's plenty of Thais out there that will stick you like a pig whoever you are supporting. You don't speak Thai you don't understand what's going on. Just stay away like the rest of us BOF's do.

• Like 1

The Army should confiscate their iPhones then they would all start crying.

yep, probably right there. What I find annoying, is that often around the world, students get involved, and everything turns into a mess! They have no understanding of where democracy comes from or what it should be. Why can't they sit, watch, and learn from it. But no, these days it looks cool to be a rebel when you are a teenager.

Yep, your post is very annoying, it seems really that you don't know to estimate a democratic country. These students stand up for democracy and liberty, and you are insulting them. Shame on you!

Edited by AloisAmrein

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

The ability to vote for the political party of your choosing?

But what id the Thai people keep voting the evil into power?

Surely you won't want the evil to rule your country right.

In other words you are a red lover.

• Like 1

Yingers is called "E Nor" which kindly translated means stupid woman but more realistically means stupid female dog. She got this nickname after reading a speech which was written for her at a major international meeting of heads of state. I forget which one. At the end of her speech she said "Now thank everyone" which was obviously the footnote to the speech. That's your duly elected head of state a moron that can hardly speak or understand English.

reminds me of most of the Russian Leaders who could not speak English and would take off their shoes and bang them on the desk for attention.

• Like 1

I am happy the Army showed sense here,this could easily have gone the other way and a massacre ensued,generally once the first shot is fired everyone else starts shooting,let's just hope that that does not happen,credit to the Officers in charge for showing initiative and not letting their men unload.

It was just a cheap shot trying to create another Tammasart University Massacre. They were massacred then because they were communists and Thailand was involved in the war with communist Vietnam. Thaksin is still out there pulling strings. The head needs to be removed before the beast will die.

What a cheap, ignorant, disgusting distortion of the historical records and the actual facts surrounding this tragic episode in Thailand's past.

Your ignorance and insensitivity is unique to a certain psychosis rampant in savage culture.

Your ilk responds very well to sorcerers whether it be under the incantations of Karl Rove or the ministrations of your local witch doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bad choice. Voter incentives would have been easier than what is going on now. Why do you think the Democrats win in the USA? People who don't work vote Democratic.

Abhisit is an intellectual, educated at Oxford. Yingluck got an "Honorary" degree (in what?) from Chiangmai University. There really isn't any comparison. Abhisit could have been a Statesman for Thailand if it wasn't for these fools. That's the tragedy.

Stop lying. Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

Can you expand on how she 'earned' a masters at Kentucky when she can barely speak or understand English?

The very uncomfortable truth that never gets directly answered as the unpalatable answer is she simply bribed her way to receiving it.

Are you saying that she bribed someone at Kentucky State University ?

Brave statement from you, brave of this forum to keep such a post up too, good luck to both of you.

Bad choice. Voter incentives would have been easier than what is going on now. Why do you think the Democrats win in the USA? People who don't work vote Democratic.

Abhisit is an intellectual, educated at Oxford. Yingluck got an "Honorary" degree (in what?) from Chiangmai University. There really isn't any comparison. Abhisit could have been a Statesman for Thailand if it wasn't for these fools. That's the tragedy.

Stop lying. Yingluck Shinawatra earned a bachelor's degree from Chiang Mai University and a master's degree from Kentucky State University, both in public administration.

Are you saying that she bribed someone at Kentucky State University ?

Brave statement from you, brave of this forum to keep such a post up too, good luck to both of you.

Mark could have done plenty but done &lt;deleted&gt; all

The ability to vote for the political party of your choosing?

But what id the Thai people keep voting the evil into power?

Surely you won't want the evil to rule your country right.

And if I happen to believe that the Conservative Party in UK is evil, but the electorate keeps voting them into power, does that mean they should be removed from power by another agency, would not and could not happen, no protest, court or army would ever remove a government there, only the people (general election), parliament (vote of no confidence) or the monarch (can only advise the prime minister) can remove a government. But as I say in my post none of my business what happens in Thailand

I think we should all abdicate violence. Replace violence and force with the ballot box. The anti-coup violence will increase (as it did last time).

The Junta will back down after some blatant gerrymandering, the people will elect another government and the Ammart will bring down the next government.

And there will be protests.

But if all sides abdicate violence then Thailand will win one day.

Edited by Dr Bruce

I take my hat off to them for having the balls to go out there and protest in this touchy political climate.

And I taking my hat off for their flexibility.....being a commie but also taking money from the man in Dubai.....that is flexible thinking.

Maybe you can tell me how they are communists protesting for democracy...I just can't see what you are seeing.

You can read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre BTW a Communist Democracy is just as practical as a Capitalist Democracy.

I suggest you go and read that wiki article again and then come back and explain your reasoning that the students were massacred "because they were communists". Do you have a reading problem?

Soldiers are not Policemen, it's always a very difficult role when you have to assume the responsibility of law and order, soldiers don't have the same tolerance level as coppers, they are trained for combat, these young squaddies are in a tough position, they're between a rock and a hard place right now.

But Policemen aren't Policemen in Thailand either...

• Like 1

any free man who has been robbed of his democracy surely will protest against the robbers

So what you are saying is if enough people stood up for Nixon then he shouldn't have been impeached?

Nixon was not impeached. That was Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.

OK let's split hairs if they hadn't agreed to leave office and they had popular support how would they have been removed?

So your tenuous grasp on history extends to your own country too. Figures.

Many people graduate from English speaking universities with less than perfect English speaking skills. If you have any proof link it.

The point is not that she has "less than perfect", but has an abysmal level of English, particularly for a supposed graduate school level degree.

The proof is available on any number of videos in which she attempts to utilize English.

• Like 2