Protests Against Coup Continue in Bangkok

Lite Beer

I am happy the Army showed sense here,this could easily have gone the other way and a massacre ensued,generally once the first shot is fired everyone else starts shooting,let's just hope that that does not happen,credit to the Officers in charge for showing initiative and not letting their men unload.

I was just walking by there on my way home. Yeah, the soldiers were showing much restraint, they were standing off to the side out of view bc if anyone of them did come into view it just provoked the protesters. Another truck of 5 or 10 showed up and they too went to the side. I've seen some pictures on twitter since I came home and the soldiers are in the street now. Its dark too, lets hope the protesters go home and call it a day.

Thailand had there own little war against the communist going at this time as well

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Army should confiscate their iPhones then they would all start crying.

yep, probably right there. What I find annoying, is that often around the world, students get involved, and everything turns into a mess! They have no understanding of where democracy comes from or what it should be. Why can't they sit, watch, and learn from it. But no, these days it looks cool to be a rebel when you are a teenager.

These days? It's been cool to be a rebel since before the 1950's

• Like 1

I take my hat off to them for having the balls to go out there and protest in this touchy political climate.

And I taking my hat off for their flexibility.....being a commie but also taking money from the man in Dubai.....that is flexible thinking.

Maybe you can tell me how they are communists protesting for democracy...I just can't see what you are seeing.

Never met any commies? Weng and Thida are also Communists.

All Communists speak about Democracy all the time and all the Communist countries have elections, even North Korea. Only the choices are a bit limited.

• Like 1

Anyway don't know who has BBC but a spokesman for the Thai Military told the BBC that Yingers and her buddies are spending a week in a VIP cooler at different undisclosed locations.

BTW it's doves not pigeons.

How would you feel towards the Government you voted in if they proceeded to rob the country of US $100 Billion and when asked to account for it and show transparency they say 'we cannot because it is in the National Interest not to account for it'. This money has simply gone! Would you be happy then that those people should never have had your vote, should be impeached and kicked out of office and face jail. Thailand has not lost it's democracy, for the first time in 2 years it stands a chance of reclaiming it's dignity. With my hand on my heart this bunch of crooks deserved to be ousted for the benefit of the people of this country.

I pray that Prayuth brings in real reform, the first being one law for all, and that MP's are not immune from prosecution for criminal activities, the second being that you cannot face a law suit for defamation if you are telling the truth. When we have a system that will permit One Nation, One People, One Law then elections can stand and they have a good chance of being the first step in a proper democracy with those voted in to power working for the people rather than themselves.

Who would determine when there is a system in place with one law and a proper democracy?

I take my hat off to them for having the balls to go out there and protest in this touchy political climate.

Thank you for this comment !

It is not accidentally that Dhammasat university is on the forfront of anti coup protests considering their past and the fascist violence they had to experience will never be forgotten!

This is just the beginning more and more people will come out to oppose the coup.

• Like 1

It's called "rent a crowd". If you don't think these kids are being pumped by the pimp of Dubai you are a fool.

Who is paying the Army?

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

Those votes were bought by Thaksins money mate. That fact destroys the integrity of any election. You also cant compare the political system here with a western one. The Army have always been part of the Thai political system. Remember that its the 'Royal' Thai army and often uses its powers, through coups, to broker new governments...

Although it does revive very sad memories of confrontations between students and the authorities in the past.

The Thammasat University Massacre, or Massacre of 6 October 1976 (เหตุการณ์ 6 ตุลา), was an attack on students and protesters that occurred on the campus of Thammasat University and at Sanam Luang in Bangkok. Students from various universities were demonstrating against the return to Thailand of former military dictator Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn. By the official count, forty-six people died in the attack, during which protesters were shot, beaten and their bodies mutilated ...
Edited by Suradit69

Really am hesitating to comment on any posts today because I do not want to be involved in any responses about the politics and who was at fault and how/why etc. None of my business to be honest and as someone schooled in UK left of centre/liberal leaning/card carrying unionist style politics what happens here in Bangkok is totally different to anything I am used to. However I have a certain amount of sympathy for idealistic students, spent enough time of my student years carrying placards on student demos not to recognise the frustrations they are feeling.

My main emotional feeling today is one of distaste to be honest, having taken for granted all my life the ability to vote for the political party of my choosing, but abide by what the electorate at large decides, to see how easy that can be lost in a country like Thailand just leaves me saddened, and unhappy to find myself living in country where the courts and army have removed a government voted into power by a one person one vote electorate. Somehow Thailand has been tainted in my mind and heart by all of this. Sorry, just how I feel.

How would you feel towards the Government you voted in if they proceeded to rob the country of US $100 Billion and when asked to account for it and show transparency they say 'we cannot because it is in the National Interest not to account for it'. This money has simply gone! Would you be happy then that those people should never have had your vote, should be impeached and kicked out of office and face jail. Thailand has not lost it's democracy, for the first time in 2 years it stands a chance of reclaiming it's dignity. With my hand on my heart this bunch of crooks deserved to be ousted for the benefit of the people of this country.

I pray that Prayuth brings in real reform, the first being one law for all, and that MP's are not immune from prosecution for criminal activities, the second being that you cannot face a law suit for defamation if you are telling the truth. When we have a system that will permit One Nation, One People, One Law then elections can stand and they have a good chance of being the first step in a proper democracy with those voted in to power working for the people rather than themselves.

Jim, the British Government has wasted Billions of pounds of taxpayers money especially when Labour where in power, they wasted Billions on failed Defence contracts, Chinook Helicopters that couldn't fly in the Dark, Apache Helicopters that couldn't fire the missiles to name but a few, the money wasted on Aircraft carriers, submarines.. and yep, you guessed it, the Defence Ministers couldn't and wouldn't put their hands up for the miss management of funds, so it's NOT just Thailand that lacks accountability, I'm pretty sure some of the American TVF members could also come up with plenty of examples of squandered funding, and zero accountability.

• Like 1

Oh the naivete! It's all very well to talk about democracy and one man one vote.......but why have you not considered that when votes are bought, it is not a true reflection of the will of the people?

These students too, I have no doubt were influenced. Not by money, perhaps, but by weasely words. This march was not done by critically thinking tertiary students, it was done by students who were swayed by something.superficial.

And I taking my hat off for their flexibility.....being a commie but also taking money from the man in Dubai.....that is flexible thinking.

Maybe you can tell me how they are communists protesting for democracy...I just can't see what you are seeing.

You can read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre BTW a Communist Democracy is just as practical as a Capitalist Democracy.

Oh the naivete! It's all very well to talk about democracy and one man one vote.......but why have you not considered that when votes are bought, it is not a true reflection of the will of the people?

These students too, I have no doubt were influenced. Not by money, perhaps, but by weasely words. This march was not done by critically thinking tertiary students, it was done by students who were swayed by something.superficial.

Are students in some other reality not swayed by superficial things? Where? The votes were for sale, on that we agree the only problem is the side with the most money lost the election? How do you explain that?

One last point, the last time I checked profound words were better at convincing people than weasely words.

As of today, these students do not know how good they have it.

Hey, smart guys...... go home and come up with a plan to eliminate machine politics while keeping representative democracy.

A much larger service to the nation, so get with it!

Machine politics can be overcome over time if the people can participate in the political process. They can't be overcome when a minority hijacks the political process and prevents everyone else from participating.They finally got their "power vacuum," and it turns out their preferred plan couldn't work in the framework of the constitution they wrote and forced on the country in 2007. I guess they're going to try again. I don't think anything good will come of this.

Could not have said it better!

Are students in some other reality not swayed by superficial things? Where? The votes were for sale, on that we agree the only problem is the side with the most money lost the election? How do you explain that?

One last point, the last time I checked profound words were better at convincing people than weasely words.

There has never been a problem with vote buying in Thailand. It was always an accepted part of Thai Politics. What changed all that is when the Shins decided to be clever and use Public Funds to influence voters. How could any Opposition compete?

There has never been a problem with vote buying in Thailand. It was always an accepted part of Thai Politics. What changed all that is when the Shins decided to be clever and use Public Funds to influence voters. How could any Opposition compete?

I think you forgot who was in power during the last election. The current party had no access to pubic funds.

The side that lost had the access to the public funds.

I think you forgot who was in power during the last election. The current party had no access to pubic funds.

You know very well what ATF was referring to.

It seems TV members and westerners here in general have very low expectations for thai society by projecting a coup is a good thing.

absolutely correct. Everyone who believes all this is about corruption by PTP is more than naive.

Edited by Mentors
  • Like 1

Sure but they didn't use them to offer voters incentives.

You know very well what ATF was referring to.

Nope. The side that has the most money and access to public funds lost.

Sure but they didn't use them to offer voters incentives.

Bad choice. Voter incentives would have been easier than what is going on now. Why do you think the Democrats win in the USA? People who don't work vote Democratic. 46,700,000 people on food stamps in the USA. That's almost the whole population of Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo