Having a beer with the security guard at my apartment

KarlosInBKK

I once was friendly to a lady bus ticket collector during my trip to take an injured pigeon to a vet.

Are you serious? I'd be surprised if an injured pigeon could survive a bus trip to the vets. In an emergency a real animal lover would've taken a taxi.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, you do what you want to do, I do. I don't give shit what other people think. You have a good attitude to others, so, 10 out of 10 from me. thumbsup.gif

You have a good attitude to others, so, 10 out of 10 from me.

Best answersmile.png

• Like 1

Socially, you are, as a farang, outside the pale. Drinking beer with the security guard on duty simply confirms they are right to judge you as a loso.

Appearances are everything here and fraternising with the lower end of society puts you firmly in the same camp.

Are you a Tefler or just another itinerant?

Edited by Seekingasylum
  • Like 1

Socially, you are, as a farang, outside the pale. Drinking beer with the security guard on duty simply confirms they are right to judge you as a loso.

Appearances are everything here and fraternising with the lower end of society puts you firmly in the same camp.

I feel offended when you compare TEFLER with itinerant!

I have been working here as English teacher for 2,5 years and yes this is my 3 school.

But if you want we can compare "high so" friends. Among my Thai friends I have 3 former MPs (one lost his job last week and one last year when the Dems. walked out), 1 former UN ambassador, 1 Air Marshal, 2 police Colonels, 2 governors and so on. I think they are quite "high so" but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!

But still I have also my friends who are farmers, day laborers and so on and I sit down to eat and drink with them too.

But still you do it on yours and theirs free time not while working!

• Like 1

I have been working here as English teacher for 2,5 years and yes this is my 3 school.

But if you want we can compare "high so" friends. Among my Thai friends I have 3 former MPs (one lost his job last week and one last year when the Dems. walked out), 1 former UN ambassador, 1 Air Marshal, 2 police Colonels, 2 governors and so on. I think they are quite "high so" but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!

But still I have also my friends who are farmers, day laborers and so on and I sit down to eat and drink with them too.

...and you're an English teacher? <deleted>!

I once was friendly to a lady bus ticket collector during my trip to take an injured pigeon to a vet.

Are you serious? I'd be surprised if an injured pigeon could survive a bus trip to the vets. In an emergency a real animal lover would've taken a taxi.

how about pigeon pie then ?rolleyes.gif

OP, you do what you want to do, I do. I don't give shit what other people think. You have a good attitude to others, so, 10 out of 10 from me. thumbsup.gif

You have a good attitude to others, so, 10 out of 10 from me.

Best answersmile.png

And all 3 of you get the special Thumbs up from me !

I can't see what the issue is, I don't drink beer but I always chatted with the security chaps when I lived in my condo and would often drop them a small bag with some goodies off to them when I went out at night or during those hots days. Funny you know, I always got a good parking spot as well ;)

I am a dumb engineer and was thrown out of multiple English classes when I was in school for being disruptive..rolleyes.gif and to be honest I am shocked at the standard of English in the posts written by some people, not all, who profess to be "English teachers"

One wonders what is actually being taught these days in schools and Universities in Western countries, we have an example above, and in other post, we have a person who claims to be a UK lawyer who doesn't understand the concept of reading and understanding contracts and theft..whistling.gif

• Like 1

I am a dumb engineer and was thrown out of multiple English classes when I was in school for being disruptive..rolleyes.gif and to be honest I am shocked at the standard of English in the posts written by some people, not all, who profess to be "English teachers"

One wonders what is actually being taught these days in schools and Universities in Western countries, we have an example above, and in other post, we have a person who claims to be a UK lawyer who doesn't understand the concept of reading and understanding contracts and theft..whistling.gif

Yes but I suspect the "Lawyer" was telling porkie pies about his qualifications.

• Like 1

Yes and no! And that comes from a couple of reasons:

1. I'm a TEFLER, I have no formal degree in teaching only a TEFL and a bachelor degree in Business Administration. I'm studying for my bachelor of arts in Education. So therefore I don't see me as a real teacher ( not yet)

2. Now I'm teaching accounting, computer science and a bunch of other subjects in English but I don't teach English language as a subject.

3. I'm not a native English speaker so some people don't see me as a English teacher and to some part I can agree because I have problem separating British English and American English and my grammar isn't perfect!

And one thing about making Hi-so friends, if you have one then it's easier to get many... I was introduced to a vice governor after I had a tutorial class in the ampoe he lives in, then the governors son needed tutorials in English all of a sudden I was out fishing with two governors! And so have my life rolled on for the past 2 years... But still I take my time with my friends, those who where my first friends when I started working because they are the once I have most fun with... Because most of my hi-so friends would never go out and sing Karaoke or go to a Carabao concert or even stop at the small noodle stall... But they throw really good parties at their homes!

My opinion is you are a great guy who is with out any pomposity and arrogance.

You do shit down the doubters, they are the bitter old men in lodge of Muppet Show..

You made good reputation for hansum falang here smile.png and I hope your guard won't get fired.

Maybe it's just me, but regardless of any of the hierarchy stuff, its the giving someone who's working alcohol that I have a problem with, and I suspect other tenants. I'm assuming that you wouldn't be passing a 'cold one' to the bus driver while you're chatting to him on the way home, or the electrician as he's rewiring your bathroom shower?

Just because we live in Thailand, and God knows drink & drugs are endemic, doesn't mean you should advocate it at work

I would like to apologize for my post!

After reading my post a second time I have recognized that l have made many grammatical-, spelling- and other errors! Maybe it would be better if I stopped teaching. I'm clearly not qualified to do a proper job!

Maybe it's just me, but regardless of any of the hierarchy stuff, its the giving someone who's working alcohol that I have a problem with, and I suspect other tenants. I'm assuming that you wouldn't be passing a 'cold one' to the bus driver while you're chatting to him on the way home, or the electrician as he's rewiring your bathroom shower?

Just because we live in Thailand, and God knows drink & drugs are endemic, doesn't mean you should advocate it at work

Many is the time I have shared a "cold one" ( sometimes even a warm one ), with drivers, people working, my staff, security , whoever.

What's your problem ??

I can almost see the BKK Post headline.

"Thai Visa outrage as guy buys beer for security guard, whilst Country falls apart "

Many is the time I have shared a "cold one" ( sometimes even a warm one ), with drivers, people working, my staff, security , whoever.

What's your problem ??

"Thai Visa outrage as guy buys beer for security guard, whilst Country falls apart "

Would you do this back home? No, of course you wouldn't. Any one caught drinking alcohol whilst working would be sacked.

So why do you feel it's acceptable here? Do you feel Thai's are some how "backwards", or perhaps just stupid?

• Like 2

What's your problem ??

Would you do this back home? No, of course you wouldn't. Any one caught drinking alcohol whilst working would be sacked.

So why do you feel it's acceptable here? Do you feel Thai's are some how "backwards", or perhaps just stupid?

Neither stupid nor backwards, just thirsty, like me.

Can't be much of a Lucifer if you can't even break the beer drinking rules.

And yes, it can be done back home.

What would you do ??? Sack him ?

I would like to apologize for my post!

After reading my post a second time I have recognized that l have made many grammatical-, spelling- and other errors! Maybe it would be better if I stopped teaching. I'm clearly not qualified to do a proper job!

Don't stop teaching just don't post on TV. Thanks.

OP has a couple of beers with security guard whilst country is at it's knees...so f'ing what!

Those criticizing him go f yourselves!

Did you miss the part in his OP where he asked what (we) thought?

• Like 2

I sincerely hope most of the negative responses were meant to be sarcastic - if they were sincere then you folks have to loosen up a bit. They shared a couple beers, big deal. What a bunch of up tight, namby pamby old ladies.

what would happen in your job, if you where drinking on the job ?

as a fulltime alcoholic I think drinking on the job should be ok.

Off topic but It seems the OP's subject was about done.

Kasset Tak said: "I have problem separating British English and American English"

....... and differences there certainly are. I hadn't realised just how many until I started using the internet 14 years ago.

Here's an example:

Yesterday I hired a car. The boot was empty, the bumpers were a bit scratched, but it had a good engine under the bonnet and a manual gearbox. I pulled into a garage, filled it up with petrol and blew up a soft tyre. As I left, there were some hot girls on the pavement. I then continued my journey using both dual carriageways and motorways. I saw lots of articulated lorries.

I guess some Americans would have a hard time understanding that smile.png

Here's what I think the American version would be:

Yesterday I rented an auto. The trunk was empty, the fenders were a little scratched, but it had a good motor under the hood and a stick shift. I pulled into a gas station, pumped it full of gas and pumped up a soft tire. As I left, there were some hot girls on the sidewalk. I then continued my journey using both divided highways and freeways. I saw lots of semis.

Off topic but It seems the OP's subject was about done.

Kasset Tak said: "I have problem separating British English and American English"

....... and differences there certainly are. I hadn't realised just how many until I started using the internet 14 years ago.

Here's an example:

Yesterday I hired a car. The boot was empty, the bumpers were a bit scratched, but it had a good engine under the bonnet and a manual gearbox. I pulled into a garage, filled it up with petrol and blew up a soft tyre. As I left, there were some hot girls on the pavement. I then continued my journey using both dual carriageways and motorways. I saw lots of articulated lorries.

I guess some Americans would have a hard time understanding that smile.png

Here's what I think the American version would be:

Yesterday I rented an auto. The trunk was empty, the fenders were a little scratched, but it had a good motor under the hood and a stick shift. I pulled into a gas station, pumped it full of gas and pumped up a soft tire. As I left, there were some hot girls on the sidewalk. I then continued my journey using both divided highways and freeways. I saw lots of semis.

Not bad for just looking at the internet for 14 years. ermm.gif