Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

bobmac10,

Why not make a choice - either 2 bobs or a Big Mac instead of trying to sit with one bum on two chairs and being wet green between the ears?

We are trying here to partake in a discussion. Different opinions are welcome. Insults are not. Usually people argue leaving the personalities out of arguments.

Gee yourself... I'm not your bowl of soup to call me thick and your allusions to fascism are very far off the mark.

You seem to know what 'Hunta' cares about. Could you point out what the ousted bastards together with their opposition cared about?

Add some substance, baby, not insults...

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

And just where exactly will the Army get the cash to pay the farmers? If the elected government couldn't scrape the cash together, what makes you think that the Army will be able to?

They will be able to borrow it in the same way the government could have done before they dissolved parliament but forgot.

If you put your thinking cap on, you will recall that the government was having a very difficult time borrowing the money. What makes you think that anyone or any institution would lend money to an illegal armed coup? If you believe that is going to happen, then I have a bridge I can sell you at a good price!

The government didn't have total control of the country, and big guns. So keep your bridge. rolleyes.gif

Thai army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha to hand pick new senate after coup

COUP leader Prayuth Chan-ocha is swiftly tightening his grip on Thailand, as Washington retaliates by cancelling military cooperation with its longstanding Southeast Asian ally.
General Prayuth, the army chief, is preparing to appoint a hand-picked legislative assembly after disbanding the Senate on Saturday.

So you're saying China is a great place to live????????????

Are you nuts?

Where they can resume your house, kick you out, bulldose it flat and build a factory run by the state while you go on the "resettlement" list (only if you keep your mouth shut and don't complain. Ha ha yeah wonderful.

Singapore locks up opposition politicians on trumped up charges and then you go on to say the USA .....what?..... blah blah

I think you are a facist plain and simple.

The old Brits eking out their retirement on a pension in Thailand will be on the list for "resettlement" soon enough when the military get around to deciding who and what is "good" for Thailand.

Bob I have spent a considerable time in China during full blown Communist Rule and up to the present day. The same applies to Burma, Laos and Cambodia. I have ran a successful company in Thailand employing over 500 people and do not have a pension and neither am I eking out a living in Thailand. I have never asked any government for anything except education which is a basic human right.

I am glad you are interested in politics and hope you can contribute to the society in which you choose to live. There will always be winners and losers. I was not born with a silver spoon and I'm glad of that because it helps me appreciate my modest success even more.

I have no right to tell you what to do or how to think but a suggestion would be to try to understand that there are many forms of dictatorship and human rights abuses, some obvious others not so. Living under a closely controlled Western Democracy for me would be much more stifling than living in China and if I didn't live in Thailand I would be happy to live there.

• Like 1

So you're saying China is a great place to live????????????

Are you nuts?

Where they can resume your house, kick you out, bulldose it flat and build a factory run by the state while you go on the "resettlement" list (only if you keep your mouth shut and don't complain. Ha ha yeah wonderful.

Singapore locks up opposition politicians on trumped up charges and then you go on to say the USA .....what?..... blah blah

I think you are a facist plain and simple.

The old Brits eking out their retirement on a pension in Thailand will be on the list for "resettlement" soon enough when the military get around to deciding who and what is "good" for Thailand.

Bob I have spent a considerable time in China during full blown Communist Rule and up to the present day. The same applies to Burma, Laos and Cambodia. I have ran a successful company in Thailand employing over 500 people and do not have a pension and neither am I eking out a living in Thailand. I have never asked any government for anything except education which is a basic human right.

I am glad you are interested in politics and hope you can contribute to the society in which you choose to live. There will always be winners and losers. I was not born with a silver spoon and I'm glad of that because it helps me appreciate my modest success even more.

I have no right to tell you what to do or how to think but a suggestion would be to try to understand that there are many forms of dictatorship and human rights abuses, some obvious others not so. Living under a closely controlled Western Democracy for me would be much more stifling than living in China and if I didn't live in Thailand I would be happy to live there.

What government did you ask for an education?

General Prayuth you have the worlds centre stage, please make the best use of it and show the world the best example removing the hypocracy and corruption form your wonderful counrty, many would say i am naive to say such a thing............................prove them wrong if you can

Now that the constitution is in the bin they might include decent and free education for all in the next edition???

Teachers would need to be taught how to teach to begin with. thumbsup.gif

That would be a good start.

Edited by tartempion

Not going to read through 23 pages of red crowing this morning.

Well Thaksin has finally got the complete coup he has been after for the last few months.

With international condemnation that he will take as support for his previous cock up of an administration and himself.

Amsterdam has apparently come out with a long tirade about the coming Govt in exile, no doubt to be headed by glorious leader himself.

Still has to pay a country to host it but that shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect the arms found so far are only a dot on the i of the Thaksin evil and in the next few days we will see the organized bombings and killings start, although I sincerely hope not.

Then after a suitable period of death and destruction the hero can return to reunite the ruins of a country he has single handedly destroyed.

Thaksins dream.

Thailands nightmare.

Thaksin didn't want the coup,Suthep did,Suthep has won,this coup is the end for Thaksin

Er yes, I've just noticed this post ! smile.png

I'm confused smile.png

i wouldn't take too much notice of Robby, he's been living in a parallel universe for quite a while now.

Personally i think robbynz's post is very realistic.

If you chose not to take notice then fine, but as you discredit him universally without any factual contribution then you make it pretty obvious that it is you who behaves like not from this planet.

As for Robby's post - we can only hope the army stepped in early enough to prevent some or even a lot of the violence that was being prepared for.

A post containing Thai language as well as a reply. This is an English language forum, English language is the only acceptable language, except for the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

this is a public service announcement, brought to you by "Thai Visa Forum, I cant believe its not really a VISA" And the letter D.

..a wise move if he wants to be seen to be even-handed ( not that I agree with closing legislature)

555555 He's not closing the legislature, you wish! He's going to pass new draconian laws to tackle political corruption. Hopefully Capital Laws. Execution by Fire Ants would be a good one Native American style. 5555555 Shins you're F$%#*^!

America didn't have fire ants till 1929.

Four species of fire ants are native to North America. "Native" means that the species were in North America long before the activities of humans brought new organisms into the area, either deliberately or accidentally.

• Like 1

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is the most malignant part of the cancer himself. You can see the lust of power and the insane evil in his countenance. Every new photograph I see of him his eye's look more distant and wild with self delusion.

OMG. Are you a trained and qualified medical practioner or just using ya ba?

It is up to the Thais to revolt/resist/riseup to a military dictatorship who are a bunch of hooligans removing a democratic constitution. Obviously the government and opposition could not solve their problems but the military has never resolved problems in Thailand ...but only make them worse. Before stupid people ruled Thailand....now awfully stupid rule the country believing they are God. These army generals should all be hanged for treason. Thailand rise up and fight for true democracy.

90% of Thai people do not know what Democracy is. Unless one has lived in a TRULY Democratic country for at least a year, one cannot understand Democracy.

I doubt if many, if not any, Red shirt leaders or followers have spent any time in a truly Democratic country. Therefore, they do not know what they are talking about.

My hope is that the coup leaders can and do initiate the reforms necessary to start Thailand on the road to a True Democracy. If they do, I would be willing to bet that they would have the blessing of HM the King. HM the King cares much more about the people of Thailand than any politician I am aware of.

I wish the very best for all Thai people

Your wish is Khun General Prayuth's command. The Royal Command for the coup legitimacy is expected to be delivered tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Seems like people don't seem to remember Pol Pot who rounded up anyone he thought was a threat or could oppose him All academics werw considered a danger to him. If you spoke a second language or wore glasses meant you were intelligent could read so might inspire others to oppose him , they were done away with "The imposition of a totalitarian governmentregime always leaves its leaders afraid: afraid of losing power, failing to prevent vengeance, and facing betrayal by ambitious rivals. Military juntas rule with an iron fist. Look how backwards undeveloped Burma was untill resently when the junta opened up to elections, Thailand is going backwards instead of forward now.

Seems like people don't seem to remember Pol Pot who rounded up anyone he thought was a threat or could oppose him All academics werw considered a danger to him. If you spoke a second language or wore glasses meant you were intelligent could read so might inspire others to oppose him , they were done away with "The imposition of a totalitarian governmentregime always leaves its leaders afraid: afraid of losing power, failing to prevent vengeance, and facing betrayal by ambitious rivals. Military juntas rule with an iron fist. Look how backwards undeveloped Burma was untill resently when the junta opened up to elections, Thailand is going backwards instead of forward now.

Yawn...

Yawn...

Now that's a ignorant response. Where are all the examples of military coups that have improved the lives of the people involved?

Really , I'm not sure the general had any other Options . The Alternative is hardly worth thinking about , and by taking absolute control he can asses the situation , and work towards a situation where there can be another election .Unfortunately , the alternative I believe would have seen more conflict , and more disruption . I believe it makes sense and was really the only option .

Its going to need some time , On this occassion , but at least ( Generally ) the people will be safe .

• Like 1

Yawn...

Now that's a ignorant response. Where are all the examples of military coups that have improved the lives of the people involved?

Define "improvement", without using the word democracy or any of its meanings.

Yawn...

Define "improvement", without using the word democracy or any of its meanings.

Eliminated starvation.

Yawn...

Oh wow. Is that as ignorant as "Thailand is going backwards". Great crystal ball there.

And edited to add as seeing it is Thailand then try the very 1st coup the country had which turned the Absolute Monarchy into a Constitutional Monarchy but then that does not suit the anti coup rants on here. As I said...yawn....

Edited by Roadman

Ask is the wrong word. I was given a government education.

Who ultimately paid for your "government education"? When exactly did education become a "basic human right" and in what country?

Edited by MaxYakov

Yawn...

Oh wow. Is that as ignorant as "Thailand is going backwards". Great crystal ball there.

I asked a simple question. Could you not answer it? Where are all the examples of military coups that have improved the lives of the people involved?

BREAKING:

General Prayuth replaces police chief, DSI chief, and defence permanent secretary, dissolves the Senate and takes over parliamentary authority.

These people who come from Western democracies but are happy with the military coup and its repression are the biggest hypocrites of all.

It is astonishing to see such hypocrisy displayed. I truly hope they are just posting to wind people up, but I fear some of them might believe in what they're posting.

I see that Thai journalists are now being ordered to report to the junta. Such a sad time for Thailand.

As if journalists own the world? Many times they need to get their mouthes washed. Can take it personally if you want.

I let George Orwell reply to you:

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.”

• Like 1

Wow, the guy is really showing his colors, ain't he? A dictator of his ilk won't stand much longer for a free flow of information and public expression of opinion on the internet. But I guess that would come after the shuttering of the judicial branch of gov't.? I'm afraid our days are numbered.

Nonsense. He is just cleaning out the dirt. To bring about reforms so there can be elections in the shortest possible time, he needs to eliminate all obstructions. No half measures, just go for it, do it. It won't be long before the curfew is lifted.

The General is basically not interested in politics, had that been the case then HE would have entered the coup after the first month of those street riots and not weight so much longer (7 months)

The fact that HE started the coup 7 months of street riots is indicative of the fact that HE wants those messy political problems to end entirely.

In order to achieve this HE intents to remove the current political administration, and then create a new democratic political set up organised by HIM and his advisers, and when this has been carried out then an election will take place again and will be beneficial for Thailand's population.

Who ultimately paid for your "government education"? When exactly did education become a "basic human right" and in what country?

The taxpayer paid for my elemental government education. Other education I have received has either been paid for by my employer who was initially the government, again the taxpayer, or myself out of my own pocket. Never by my family or any other benefactor.

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 26 Paragraph 1

Article 26.

• (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights was accepted by the UN General Assembly on 10 December 1948

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights applies to all countries. Whether they decide to participate or not.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

The taxpayer paid for my elemental government education. Other education I have received has either been paid for by my employer who was initially the government, again the taxpayer, or myself out of my own pocket. Never by my family or any other benefactor.

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 26 Paragraph 1

Article 26.

• (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights was accepted by the UN General Assembly on 10 December 1948

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights applies to all countries. Whether they decide to participate or not.

Unfortunately the UNDoHR cannot be seen as a law but must be seen as a political program/goal instead. That means the Declaration applies even in Thailand but there is no court you could turn to, if your fundamental rights are violated. That would have been the case with the former Thai "judiciary", now with martial law in force the chance to ask a court for help does not even exist theoretically.

Edited by jope