Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem is that by making it impossible to select a representative government, by cracking down on decent etc, pushing along regional ethnic divisions - the only outcome for a long unrepresentative government will just make it more likely of an insurgency or separatist movements to take hold.... Once the dream is created it is dam hard to go back.

Are you suggesting that this move is calculated to ignite the emotions of common folk, that have had six consecutive elections overturned, to react in order to provide justification for militarily neutralizing them in the shadows of press blackouts before they get too organized?

The elected vote was representative on a one vote one person basis. The vote is split along regional and ethnic lines, but overthrowing one corrupt group and put in an appointed but equally corrupt group - you are not fixing the problem you are only going to eventually ignite ethnic and regional divisions to the point where separation becomes a dream which is fought by successive governments using scare tactics.... but that only holds a country together for decades.... and eventually would lead to Thailand fracturing along those lines.

You could hear lots of PDRC members basically referring to stupid buffalo / stupid farmers.....

Edited by cacruden
  • Like 2

This news, together with the events at Victory monument today and elsewhere, doesn't look promising for the near future.

There will be hard times ahead.

What was the thing on victory monument about I drove by two times a few 2-300 hundreds standing on bridges with paper notes of something that was unreadable from the car.

Now what happens all depends on what he does...if he set the laws to be the things pdrc had in their reform program and then steps down for an election this can turn out nicely...but now we have to wait and see what he does with his powers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This coup has few similarities to "last time."

What happened to the Senate after the 2006 coup?

"Few" does not mean "none." Shall we start listing the dissimilarities? Do we have the time? The space? Your interest?

Edited by Fookhaht

Well, that could raise hope that Prayuth actually is trying for the middle road. It is after all possible that he do recognize the democraphic of Thailand. Of course he could also have an alternative retirement plan. The Senate was PDRC's last "legal" stronghold.

He now has total power,need i remind posters what total power can do,study what happened in Cambodia,where the lower class were disenfranchised for years,okay it was a different era and against the backdrop of the vietnam conflict,but i can report that where i live people are not happy with all this,in fact i have never heard them discuss politics so much,a lot feel they have been cheated,and some are quite angry ,i am talking about kon Thai here not tv posters,my feeling is the Thai people will not just roll over and accept this,they are much more connected to the wider world now,via the internet and social media,and from other posts from long timers here this coup seem,s more draconian and harsher than previous one's,i expect a very rocky road ahead.

• Like 2

Good luck to Him. He is the Abe Lincoln of Thailand.

....or Pol Pot. Time will tell.

'The constitution was replaced after 2006 with one intended to curb Thaksin's electoral influence.

"This time, the constitutional changes will be more thorough," Thai politics analyst Paul Chambers said.

He said measures could include "electoral gerrymandering, even more power granted to the judiciary, and finally -- and most ominously -- more power granted to the army." Centnews.com 24.05.14

Got to be one smart constitution next time to curb Mr T?

Maybe there is a lot going on that one is not allowed to discuss?

Thailand is changing but some are trying to hold onto a past.

• Like 2

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

And just where exactly will the Army get the cash to pay the farmers? If the elected government couldn't scrape the cash together, what makes you think that the Army will be able to?