Sea Birds

tavarich

Had lunch with a Thai lady in a restaurant over the water last week and this very topic came up. (seagulls were all around)

Our thoughts were that maybe it is too hot in Thailand for eggs to mature, or perhaps nesting sites were interfered with by people.

I seem to recall this subject came up in a thread last year sometime, but I can't remember the outcomes.

Perhaps surprisingly Thailand has no resident Gulls, however the Brown Headed Gull is a very common Winter visitor from around November – although at that time of year they have no brown head (only in Summer plumage).

The Black Headed Gull is an uncommon visitor around the same time.

There are several species of Tern which reside in Thailand and several more species which are Winter visitors.

The Pomarine Skua is also a common migrant.

Patrick

There are less sea-birds in the tropics than in temperate, or, polar areas due to the fact that there is a lot less fish (don't know why). The most common sea-birds I've seen in the tropics are frigate birds. They spend most of their time out beyond land, so, you don't see them.

They are probably aware of the dual-pricing issue currently doing the rounds and are afraid they will be pestered by local seagulls (unless they can get away with looking like a Taiwanese, Chinese, Malaysian or Singaporian bird).

Alternatively, maybe they cannot find a nominee Thai seagull to assist them in the purchase of land for nest building?

Apologies for having a brain smaller than a seagull...I will get my coat

There are less sea-birds in the tropics than in temperate, or, polar areas due to the fact that there is a lot less fish (don't know why). The most common sea-birds I've seen in the tropics are frigate birds. They spend most of their time out beyond land, so, you don't see them.

You may be thinking of Petrels, Storm Petrels, Shearwaters or even Albatross (although the latter are not usually seen in SE Asian waters). All these birds are Oceanic, spending the vast majority of their time far at sea, feeding, even sleeping, well away from land – in fact they are rarely seen on land unless nesting or Storm lost.

Frigate Birds are a Coastal / Island species, keeping relatively close to shore and return to land at evening after their feeding forays.

Patrick

There are more than enough seagulls along the Red Sea and Arabian Gulf coasts so I don’t think heat is the problem.

The eggs from those black seagulls near Songkla were very popular years ago. Maybe the bird population has dropped due to that.

They are probably aware of the dual-pricing issue currently doing the rounds and are afraid they will be pestered by local seagulls (unless they can get away with looking like a Taiwanese, Chinese, Malaysian or Singaporian bird).

Alternatively, maybe they cannot find a nominee Thai seagull to assist them in the purchase of land for nest building?

Apologies for having a brain smaller than a seagull...I will get my coat

:o:D :D