Absolute beginner looking for some advice

I have been living in Thailand for six years but the last two years especially paying for a motorbike taxi to and from work every day is becoming a hassle to find a driver who will take me everyday and also it's costing me about 1,000 baht a week in fares.

I have decided to take the plunge and buy myself a motorbike. I have never ridden a motorbike or driven a car so I am an absolute beginner when it comes to these things.

Could anyone give me some suggestions on good bikes that are well suited for a beginner motorist. I am going to travelling a distance of about 7.5 km to work and then the same back each day and also about 12km to work and the same back on Saturday mornings.

Is there somewhere where I can learn to ride it as well?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Edited by bkkgooner

If you have spent your adult life as a passenger, then you have got to get some training. You have outsourced road awareness for a while, and now want to jump in the deep end by riding in Thailand. That is as steep a learning curve as you can pick.

Both Yamaha and Honda have reputable courses, but are in Thai. After 6 years, I hope you can...

Many here will provide opinions on bikes; I will offer no opinion other than get some serious training. You should spend every minute you are a pillion passenger observing the cars and bikes around you so you can learn to anticipate how traffic moves. You may have done this already, but as a passenger you can take a break from it, when riding you cannot.

I learned to ride when 14, off-road in the UK, and only to a basic level. I was a pillion passenger here for years before I borrowed a mate's bike for a month to commute Petchaburi 19 to Sukhumvit 4. I'd never turned on a road before, only in mud... Bought myself a Yamaha 650 shaft driven bike and commuted in Bangkok for 5 years. I had reasonable road experience from racing bicycles and driving cars up to that point...

Best of luck.

Sent - how is not that important...

Edited by DualSportBiker

Reading your first post I get the impression that you don't have a drivers licence. If that's the case my advice would be to start with getting that. At that point you will already know the basics - and your insurance will cover you as well if you should cause an accident.

After that, take you bike to some non crowded areas and get familiar with the bike. If you can drive a bicycle and are used to be a passenger on a bike it shouldn't be very hard.

I would advise you after some training and when you have a Thai mc license to start off riding somewhere familiar preferably not too busy. I have been riding bikes here but I can still remember I was a bit scared at first. I had experience back home but traffic was totally different here. But with time you get used to it and its no big deal then. I would also invest in a good helmet and maybe some safety gear.

I did the course at Honda about 6 months ago. Beginner's level took 4 weeks, 1 full day per week from 9am to 4pm. I highly recommend it, the instructors are professional and the course is both fun and useful. However the course will only teach you good riding practices such as balance, breaking, throttle control, etc. it will NOT teach you about handling real life roads and traffic.

P.S. I paid 2,000 Baht for the course. It included another day to cover theory and do a computerized test, afterwhich if you pass you get a certificate which you can then take to the Land Transport Department to issue the 1 year license.

Good luck.

You can't go wrong buying a Honda Click. The most popular farang bike, twist and go. Get a good helmet, spend 1000 baht. Learn the concept of counter steering.

Many people go down in the first month they own a bike. Wear long pants, gloves, a jacket and lace up sneakers (or better).

Remember, you are always wrong on a bike, don't assume. Be constantly scanning for danger. Take it slow. Don't drink and drive.

Have fun.

I had ridden in the states years ago and it was about 30 years before I rode in Thailand. Me and the girlfriend rented a click in Kanchaniburi rode around there great fun. After returning to Bangkok her son hurt himself riding and was in hospital well 2 bikes where at the hospital and one needed a rider I got volunteered to be in control heheheheh girlfriend says just follow him no problem. From Silom to Sukhumvit 50 great ride just a bit white knuckle. We all made it without any major drama and I have been riding in Thailand every since.

Just be very defensive looking ahead several vehicles up the road. I live in Chiang Mai and rule one is to stay outside of the red taxies as they will go to the curb for a fare without looking sure similar rules in Bangkok. Good luck and have fun

I applaud Honda for offering this course for 2000 Baht , obviously their hope is you buy a Honda afterwards - good business sense.However i would do the course , then buy a better , well built bike , such as a Yamaha Nouvo or Spark.

The PCX has a chopper riding posture and has a wide fairing making handling a little trickier for newer riders.

I would suggest an automatic scooter with a more upright posture like a Click, Fino, Nouvo, Scoopy, etc.

I would also suggest renting some bikes including the PCX to see what you like.

Lighter smaller bikes are easier to handle but less comfortable.

Every bike has a compromise.

I would sure buy an automatic scooter and one with good brakes if you are heavy. To learn how to drive better go to a very quiet place, maybe to koh larn island or so? You can rent a scooter there and learn how to drive mountainroads.

Starting to drive in BKK is something i would never recommend to anybody. I had 20 years of experience on many motorbikes before i started driving in Bangkok.

Wear you safetygear, at least gloves from leather (and the helmet) the first year and solid shoes.

Driving a motorbike in BKK is like playing some computergame where anything can happen at any moment, there are no rules and you always loose. In BKK i always have the brakelever in my left hand. nonstop.

I think a honda click is good as a first bkk bike