Ducati Scrambler 2015

good review here

Nice marketing video. In particular I love the retro helmet and goggles..giggle.gif

don't think this particular video is a marketing tool for Ducati though i threw up a bit in my mouth seeing all those hipsters . Good thing the journalist riding the bike isn't one and knows what he is talking about.
I like the bike but don't like the hipsters it's marketed to. No way in hell would I buy any of that apparel.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good review here

Nice marketing video. In particular I love the retro helmet and goggles..giggle.gif

Some people get drawn in by the marketing. Others get put off by the marketing. Others ignore it and read the specs and reviews smile.png Sounds a great bike for the combination of touring, light off roading and city riding that many TV riders do.

There is no need to buy the hipster outfit for this bike any more than you need to grow a beard and a gut for a Honda/Harley.

Totally agree. Don't let yourself be controlled by marketing, either into buying something you don't want or into not buying something you'd otherwise buy. I can see how some would be offended by the (way over the top) hipster marketing - but it's a good bike and if hipster marketing is the only reason you wouldn't buy it then you're just as style conscious as those hipsters you find appealing... the irony would make a hipster proud :P

I've got a deposit down and checked all the reviews on Youtube and in written form. Everyone says it's a great bike for what it tries to do. It doesn't aspire to get you the fastest from zero to 100km/h or ride really well in the jungle. But for around city blasting with short drives over gravel roads which are more than plentyful here it seems to be a really good fit. And that's the driving I mostly do. Couldn't care less about the marketing and I critized it in another thread before the launch anyways. Being not a native english speaker I actually didn't know the term Hipster before, so at least I learned something new :)

I wont try to be fashionable or anything but I applaud Ducati for bringing all this apparel because choice is not a bad thing - like said before noone is forced to buy it. There are gloves available which I think I'll check out because they look nice and if the quality turns out to be good... why not. Compare that with some bikes where it's impossible to even get any well fitting paniers for example.

BTW: can it be that the numbers for HP and torque are what one will actually get at the rearwheel? Since it's nearly the same engine as in the Monster 796, I checked some dynos and there the rearwheel numbers (53 lb-ft, 78 HP) easily exceed the ones specified for the scrambler (50 lb-ft, 75 HP).

Can't wait for the test ride!

I've got a deposit down and checked all the reviews on Youtube and in written form. Everyone says it's a great bike for what it tries to do. It doesn't aspire to get you the fastest from zero to 100km/h or ride really well in the jungle. But for around city blasting with short drives over gravel roads which are more than plentyful here it seems to be a really good fit. And that's the driving I mostly do. Couldn't care less about the marketing and I critized it in another thread before the launch anyways. Being not a native english speaker I actually didn't know the term Hipster before, so at least I learned something new smile.png

I wont try to be fashionable or anything but I applaud Ducati for bringing all this apparel because choice is not a bad thing - like said before noone is forced to buy it. There are gloves available which I think I'll check out because they look nice and if the quality turns out to be good... why not. Compare that with some bikes where it's impossible to even get any well fitting paniers for example.

BTW: can it be that the numbers for HP and torque are what one will actually get at the rearwheel? Since it's nearly the same engine as in the Monster 796, I checked some dynos and there the rearwheel numbers (53 lb-ft, 78 HP) easily exceed the ones specified for the scrambler (50 lb-ft, 75 HP).

Can't wait for the test ride!

You put a deposit down before doing a test drive? Hmmm. OK, hopfully it’s refundable in extreme rare case you don’t like the bike..

btw- anybody know what the service costs or fuel efficiently are on this bike?

Yes fully refundable, otherwise I wouldn't have done it, I never buy a bike without a test ride and I also dont fancy throwing away money for a lost deposit.

I anticipate quite a long queue so putting up the 30k without risk to get in front of the queue is not a bad deal.

It's interesting btw that everyone who saw it at the motor expo said the suspension felt very soft yet the reviewers say it's slightly too harsh.

Yes fully refundable, otherwise I wouldn't have done it, I never buy a bike without a test ride and I also dont fancy throwing away money for a lost deposit.

I anticipate quite a long queue so putting up the 30k without risk to get in front of the queue is not a bad deal.

It's interesting btw that everyone who saw it at the motor expo said the suspension felt very soft yet the reviewers say it's slightly too harsh.

Which model are you getting?

I believe the Scrambler has a de-tuned engine vs. the Monster 796, so that's why torque and HP are slightly lower.

I'm getting the Icon since it's a good base. I don't want tubes so Classic And Urban Enduro are out (not a fan of the Urban Enduro looks anyways). But I think I'll get the exhaust from the Full Throttle even though it's probably quite pricey. My guess it'll be something like 50k THB ($1.4k US MSRP), have to think if that's really worth it. Like the looks of it and hopefully it'll sound nice too. The only sound videos available are from the stock one and the racing slip-on with removed dB killer which would be too much for my neighbours :)

BTW do you guys also hear a "high" pitch sound coming from the bikes in all the review videos? Hard to describe it but it's not a pleasant sound and seems to be louder than the exhaust note.

The scrambler is indeed de-tuned for what they say easier riding experience. Probably more linear torque. But I hope the rearwheel numbers wont be (much) lower than the specified ones.

First class insurance is 18k THB. I would really love to know the servicing costs too. I shot Ducati an email about this.

They are already producing it, wonder why there are none here in the dealer showrooms and why deliveries will be in April. Any ideas why they'd stockpile them for a few months?

I'm getting the Icon since it's a good base. I don't want tubes so Classic And Urban Enduro are out (not a fan of the Urban Enduro looks anyways). But I think I'll get the exhaust from the Full Throttle even though it's probably quite pricey. My guess it'll be something like 50k THB ($1.4k US MSRP), have to think if that's really worth it. Like the looks of it and hopefully it'll sound nice too. The only sound videos available are from the stock one and the racing slip-on with removed dB killer which would be too much for my neighbours :)

BTW do you guys also hear a "high" pitch sound coming from the bikes in all the review videos? Hard to describe it but it's not a pleasant sound and seems to be louder than the exhaust note.

The scrambler is indeed de-tuned for what they say easier riding experience. Probably more linear torque. But I hope the rearwheel numbers wont be (much) lower than the specified ones.

First class insurance is 18k THB. I would really love to know the servicing costs too. I shot Ducati an email about this.

They are already producing it, wonder why there are none here in the dealer showrooms and why deliveries will be in April. Any ideas why they'd stockpile them for a few months?

World markets gets priority over thai market.

Bigger markets always get the bikes first.

I'm getting the Icon since it's a good base. I don't want tubes so Classic And Urban Enduro are out (not a fan of the Urban Enduro looks anyways). But I think I'll get the exhaust from the Full Throttle even though it's probably quite pricey. My guess it'll be something like 50k THB ($1.4k US MSRP), have to think if that's really worth it. Like the looks of it and hopefully it'll sound nice too. The only sound videos available are from the stock one and the racing slip-on with removed dB killer which would be too much for my neighbours smile.png

World markets gets priority over thai market.

Bigger markets always get the bikes first.

A few for the showrooms wouldn't hurt. But I guess it makes financially sense to serve bigger markets first to optimize potential sales. Though with the CB650F from Honda we got it in Thailand quite a bit earlier than other places so it's not set in stone.

Another idea would be that they want to fine tune the ECU and QA process a bit after they got the feedback from bike reviewers.

A few for the showrooms wouldn't hurt. But I guess it makes financially sense to serve bigger markets first to optimize potential sales. Though with the CB650F from Honda we got it in Thailand quite a bit earlier than other places so it's not set in stone.

Another idea would be that they want to fine tune the ECU and QA process a bit after they got the feedback from bike reviewers.

IIRC the '08 Ninja 250 was released in Thailand first also.

Different companies have different marketing strategies. I'd love to have mine today but May is when it will be available.

We will see them in North America and Europe before then.

Different companies have different marketing strategies. I'd love to have mine today but May is when it will be available.

We will see them in North America and Europe before then.

I'm not disagreeing with any marketing strategy or anything. Just providing some historical context.

However, it would seem that releasing the bike in a market with consumer protection laws not being as strict would allow observance of the aforementioned QA to take place at minimum financial risk to the company.

I'm getting the Icon since it's a good base. I don't want tubes so Classic And Urban Enduro are out (not a fan of the Urban Enduro looks anyways). But I think I'll get the exhaust from the Full Throttle even though it's probably quite pricey. My guess it'll be something like 50k THB ($1.4k US MSRP), have to think if that's really worth it. Like the looks of it and hopefully it'll sound nice too. The only sound videos available are from the stock one and the racing slip-on with removed dB killer which would be too much for my neighbours smile.png

There's one in the Chiang Mai showroom. Sat on it today - it's a classic motorcycle. Long wheelbase compared to monster, at least optically, and not nearly as sporty a stance as the Hypermotard. All as expected. It's really low too, but IMO by no means "small" (as some have said).

Don't worry about the servicing costs. It seems to be a bit more than at, say, Kawasaki, but by no means outrageous. And long service intervals means you actually kinda end up paying the same. My first 15k service is tomorrow, I'll update on that. But the 1000k service was cheap, can't remember the exact figure.

Testastretta service is going to cost more, at least I assume so. But that's only every 30k km? Something like that.

The only thing I've been getting ripped off on was the headlight; it's apparently a standard H4 halogen blue light - costs 3,000 baht from Ducati, or 250 or so in a shop. I didn't know this. Oh well. Ok so the install was free, and it's apparently pretty tricky, a friend paid 400 for that.

Edited by nikster

Don't worry about the servicing costs. It seems to be a bit more than at, say, Kawasaki, but by no means outrageous. And long service intervals means you actually kinda end up paying the same. My first 15k service is tomorrow, I'll update on that. But the 1000k service was cheap, can't remember the exact figure.

Testastretta service is going to cost more, at least I assume so. But that's only every 30k km? Something like that.

The only thing I've been getting ripped off on was the headlight; it's apparently a standard H4 halogen blue light - costs 3,000 baht from Ducati, or 250 or so in a shop. I didn't know this. Oh well. Ok so the install was free, and it's apparently pretty tricky, a friend paid 400 for that.

My 1st service on my Diavel cost me 3,300+ baht, not really cheap if it was an oil change only. I went the following day to change the oil in Ninja and it was less than 1000 baht.

With the old Monster air cooled engine, the service intervals aren't as long as with the newer water cooled engines.

Wow, 10x the cost of a light bulb! Does it have "DUCATI" stamped on it?

There's one in the Chiang Mai showroom. Sat on it today - it's a classic motorcycle. Long wheelbase compared to monster, at least optically, and not nearly as sporty a stance as the Hypermotard. All as expected. It's really low too, but IMO by no means "small" (as some have said).

Accordding to Ducati the scrambler has a 5mm shorter wheelbase then the monster 795

• 2 weeks later...

Hypermotard service 15k - 4,500 Baht. New oil & new air filter - the air filter was pretty expensive, relatively speaking. Service labor cost was around 1,000 Baht. Yes that is more than the 300 or so Kawasaki would charge - but in absolute terms, still cheap.

Given that it's only ever 15k miles I think the Hyper service really isn't that much more than Kawasaki. Kawasaki service cost half or less, but also happens every 6,000km! Overall - very happy with the cost.

Scrambler news: Chiang Mai got a new container display exclusively for the Scrambler. Those yellow containers they put up everywhere. No Cafe yet..

According to the appropriately hipstered out Scrambler sales guy, the new models will show up in the showroom in February. Delivery to customers March for Icon, May for the others.

Of course this is sales man talk - take it with a grain of salt. There are too many moving parts to really have an exact date right now - they'll sell them here ASAP, but there might be production delays, last minute QA issues, high numbers of orders from other countries, divine intervention, who knows.

The Ducati Scrambler booth at C.I.C last Saturday 10 January Nice bikes in the flesh.

attachicon.gif055.JPGattachicon.gif056.JPGattachicon.gif057.JPG

For some reason I see this bike & immediately image Steve Mcqueen standing next to it. wink.png

Guess that means they did good on the retro look

When he would be younger I'm sure Ducati would have asked him to do promotional work for them :-)

post-143096-0-20552900-1421407606_thumb.post-143096-0-42519500-1421407609_thumb.post-143096-0-38006400-1421407612_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

There are rumors that there will be 2 more engine choices for the Scrambler.

Specifically a 1200cc watercooled one by the end of the year and a 500cc single.

It's not unrealistic that they bring other models since they want to make Scrambler its own brand.

Source: http://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/other-engines-for-the-scrambler.1835/

a 500 cc light scrabler is what i was thinking when they were releasing scrambler.

and if they can sell it 2000 usd less, it might be a great choice as a scrambler has to be light in nature and it does not need a lot of power.

thanks for the links eisfeld.

This bike is raising a lot of dust from the bike scene...lots of people getting more and more excited. Nicer to see that Ducati delivered what they promised...a bike that would bring back the simple pleasure of riding.

I've never ever bought a brand new bike, but this could be the one.

a 500 cc light scrabler is what i was thinking when they were releasing scrambler.

and if they can sell it 2000 usd less, it might be a great choice as a scrambler has to be light in nature and it does not need a lot of power.

That'd be nice, a 500cc single, if the prove is reasonable, I'd be tempted to buy another bike to putter around. 1200cc is sure an over kill for this bike.

Sat on a couple today and didn't really like them. Handlebars feel odd on the yellow one, but the army green one wasn't so bad. The clutch and brake levers were very loose like they forgot to put in a couple of washers.

Edited by macknife

Sales in Thailand aren't going as fast as hoped for. Was at the bike show Friday and I was told that when I order one today I will get the Thai assembled Scrambler in March.

It looks like classic/retro bike lovers decided to spend their cash on Triumph Bonneville!

Bad economic climate in Thailand does not help them either.

Edited by ll2

Sales in Thailand aren't going as fast as hoped for. Was at the bike show Friday and I was told that when I order one today I will get the Thai assembled Scrambler in March.

It looks like classic/retro bike lovers decided to spend their cash on Triumph Bonneville!

Bad economic climate in Thailand does not help them either.

I agree - I'm sure the vastly reduced prices for the Bonnie etc. have something to do with that. Good on Triumph they pulled this off just in time.

Personally the Triumph bikes don't do anything for me; but I know Thais are crazy about the retro versions and people from the UK have an odd (patriotic?) affection for them too.

All in all this is great news. It means more competition, and keeping Ducati honest so they don't overcharge too much for their bikes. The new Diavel looks amazing in the flesh, very tempted. It's only marginally different from before but just... perfect.