Ducati Scrambler 2015

Can't wait to read your impressions! Please check (I forgot during my test ride) if it got a "range" indicator or some other way to see how much fuel is left or how much one consumed during the current trip on the odometer.

Btw to fuel more speculation about future models (or maybe dropped features), here a picture that shows that there are icons for phone connectivity on the dash!

gauge2.jpg

An icon to show you if you've got text messages or if your phone is connected (to what, one might ask)??! What a load of b**#ocks.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to read your impressions! Please check (I forgot during my test ride) if it got a "range" indicator or some other way to see how much fuel is left or how much one consumed during the current trip on the odometer.

Btw to fuel more speculation about future models (or maybe dropped features), here a picture that shows that there are icons for phone connectivity on the dash!

gauge2.jpg

An icon to show you if you've got text messages or if your phone is connected (to what, one might ask)??! What a load of b**#ocks.

Insertesting that it has the capability to add these features - but the last thing I want on a bike is distracting phone messages. I hope they never add Facebook or Line connectivity!

Still considering a Scrambler - but really every bike should have a fuel gauge these days, especially as most scooters can manage to have one.

Maybe " Hipsters"don't worry about practicalities ? LOL.

Probably love the irony of having a high end bike without such a feature.

FWIW, none of my bikes have one either, and I've never run out of fuel, you just reset the tripometer when you fill up and you learn how far the bike can go over the course of a few fillups. If that's too much, just count down from 50kms (or whatever) when the low fuel light comes on.

FWIW, none of my bikes have one either, and I've never run out of fuel, you just reset the tripometer when you fill up and you learn how far the bike can go over the course of a few fillups. If that's too much, just count down from 50kms (or whatever) when the low fuel light comes on.

The 500 series goes the opposite; information overload. Average litres/100 km. Litres of fuel used. When you hit the 0 on the gauge it starts counting upwards to show how much you've used (it switches from the odometer to that function...I've seen it go up to 4 litres and that was that).

I used to use the trip meter method before I got a bike with a fuel gauge - but half the time I'd forget to reset the trip - or reset it mid journey as I needed it for navigation.

And my Crf250m only has a tank that holds about a teaspoon of fuel - so I need it's fuel gauge!

I want to see some reports from the new owners before before considering trading up - but I like the yellow one.

The phone connection stuff is also pretty useless to me, not something I have to have. But in that space they could have put a fuel gauge which can be really handy if you like mentioned forget to reset the trip meter. In general I don't get why some dashes are so incredibly low on information/usability. It doesn't cost anything really to add something like that.

But what would really be cool: use the phone connectivity to submit information from the bike to the phone to record stats for the track guys amongst us. And if the phone could then send some info back to the dash to display it would open loads of possibilities.

But what would really be cool: use the phone connectivity to submit information from the bike to the phone to record stats for the track guys amongst us. And if the phone could then send some info back to the dash to display it would open loads of possibilities.

With the bike ECU would be painless. Max speed, average speed, Max rpm, Max rpm in gears, Liters per KM, average - best - worst. Time in each gear, temp, brake pressure, lean angles, g-forces.

All doable

With the bike ECU would be painless. Max speed, average speed, Max rpm, Max rpm in gears, Liters per KM, average - best - worst. Time in each gear, temp, brake pressure, lean angles, g-forces.

All doable

But the speedo would need to be the size of a dinner plate! 555

All doable

But the speedo would need to be the size of a dinner plate! 555

My thought was to use Bluetooth and send all parameters to the fone from the bike.

Then you could transfer to tablet/laptop as you require.

My S5 has lots of memory left - could travel for a week and save it no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a lenghty post, so brace yourself.

Today I had the chance to test ride a large variety of bikes thanks to a bike event at Mega Bang Na. A great opportunity to compare many different bikes from different makers one after the other.

Present were BMW, Ducati, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Due to the fact that the test 'track' was a small parking lot and testing each brand involved going back and forth to the respective shop boots at the entrance of the shopping mall (under the scorching hot sun), I could only do that 4 times before risking to pass out.
Like I said, I could only test ride the bikes in a small enclosure in the parking lot, just long enough to red line the first gear or cruise around in second gear.

I started with Yamaha, who had the new SR, the Bolt and the FZ09 (aka MT09). I love the SR (my SR) to bits, so it was quite disappointing to ride the fuel injected version. To me it seemed far too quiet, powerless and all together not very inspiring. Definitely not a bike to keep stock.
Next was the Bolt. It was very difficult for me to get used to the riding position. I don't like to have my feet pointing forwards. It handled well for being a cruiser, brakes were good too and the engine sound was not bad either. I didn't like the clunky gearbox.
Lastly, the FZ09: great feeling, smooth engine, excellent handling and brakes. Seating position ok. Looks like a very good fun bike. For me, only the very modern styling is a negative point

Next in line was Ducati. I first tested the Scrambler of course. Been waiting for that for the past 2 years, when the first rumours about it emerged. I was afraid to be disappointed after all the anticipation, but hey...nothing further from the truth!! It's great! The engine is super smooth and gives off a very satisfying growl when pushed. Just imagine what it will sound like with a Termignoni...

Excellent brakes, fantastic handling...it inspires confidence from the first few meters. LOVE IT!
After such a high, the rest of Ducati's offerings were less than fun to ride.
The Hypermotard was still a good ride with good handling, but definitely not as intuitive as the Scrambler.
The Monster seemed to have a fueling problem, stuttering at very low revs. Seating position was cramped and to me it seemed there was the front of the bike missing. It looked like the bike finished abruptly at the front forks. All in all it felt stiff.
The worst for me was the Panigale 899. Granted, a small parking lot is just not fair towards a pure breed racer like her, but that is what I had. The very stiff clutch was a killer and combined with the riding position, must be a nightmare to ride in normal road conditions, let alone in busy Bangkok traffic. She looks great though...

After that I went to Suzuki.

The Gladius 650 is a good bike and to me looks great with its rounded design. It feels lighter and smaller than my ER6n. Good handling, but overall it doesn't feel like a 650, more like a 500. I think I prefer the ER6n. The V-Strom 650 felt good, but a bit too tall for me (170cm). Very good handling, decent brakes. More so the 1000cc version of the V-Strom. Again, too high for me, but once it runs you forget all about it. Very smooth engine and intuitive handling. Right after the 1000cc I went down to the VanVan 125. Finally I could touch ground again! The VanVan was super fun regarding cornering and very comfortable, but....you open the throttle and there's nothing happening. Even my Suzuki Shogun 125 has more power. A pity really...it could be so much better.

Honda has never been big in my dream bike list, but I got quite a reality check after riding the CB650F. WOW, what a bike. The handling was superb and I felt in tune with it as soon as I mounted it. And the engine just added to the riding pleasure, being 'there' whenever you need it. Sorry Honda, for years I've looked down on you, but with this bike you changed my mind. (I still think you should fire all your design department though, and employ some Italians).

The last bike I tested was the new Goldwing...what can I say...big, heavy...a bit ugly.

So, for me there were 2 bikes that clearly stood apart from all the others. They are similar in riding position, handling and for the fun factor, but very different in the 'soul' department. While the 4 in line Honda CB650F gives off a symphony of whining, wizzing and buzzing (sorry, I'm not an inline4 type of rider), the Ducati Scrambler (Icon) seems to go deeper inside me and temptingly lures out the bad boy in me. Yessss!!
For 285.000Baht you certainly can't go wrong with the Honda. Throw in almost 100.000 more (375.000 Baht) and you can get the basic Scrambler Icon in yellow.

I better start saving....

PS: These are my very personal impressions. When I test ride I go by feeling and I don't care if one bike has more hp or more gadgets than the other, so please, no need to argue. thumbsup.gif

Took the Scrambler for a test ride recently in Chiang Mai. I agree with most of the reviews, this is a good, fun, bike that also looks cool.

Some bullet points:

- Happily eats curves. In fact, this bike is a lot easier to ride on a mountain than say the Hypermotard. It just drops into curves all on its own.

- Tons of low end torque. That also helps to make this a very easy ride. No matter you're in the wrong gear, the bike will pull happily

- Got it up to 140kph with very little effort (uphill). So I'd say it's fast enough. I did not test it on a straight piece of road so unable to test top speed.

- Looks great

And that's it. Really simple. Compared to a Hypermotard, it's a lot easier to ride well on a Scrambler, its a lot lower on the ground which is good if you have short legs but bad if you ride in the city and want to see over cars; and a lot less "crazy" than the Hyper too. The Hypermotard is really best when you want to ride like a hooligan... Scrambler has more of a Steve McQueen era feel to it.

How would you describe the capabilities of the scrambler for BKK traffic?

Its on my radar as potential next bike. but i'm not sure my mustache growing abilities meet requirements.

Thanks Dutchbike

I'm not a native speaker, so my English is not as refined as it should be, but I love everything about motorcycles and also like to write about them.

As far as good reviews go, check this one out...soo funny!

An Honest Review of The Triumph Bonneville:

How would you describe the capabilities of the scrambler for BKK traffic?

Its on my radar as potential next bike. but i'm not sure my mustache growing abilities meet requirements.

I think it would be perfect. It's so easy to ride and doesn't make you tired.

The contenders for my next bike were the Scrambler and the Bonnie, but after watching the above video, I would rather have the W800. Since that one is not available in Thailand, there's only the Scrambler left.

:-)

I also went to Mega Bangna to test some bikes.

Finally did a run on the Scrambler. It was on my shortlist, but not anymore. First thing I noticed when I switched on the engine was that I have heard shaking buckets of nails sound nicer. What a disappointment.

Handling was good, although the handlebars are just too huge. This is just not a bike for me.

Also tested the FZ-09, that one is definitely still on my shortlist. smile.png

Thanks for your review and writeup OmegaRacer. Of course a parking lot will not be the ideal playground for sports bikes and small nimble bikes will feel much better.

I have the exact same feelings when it comes to Scrambler and CB650F, these two bikes are very good for urban riding and are value for money. I have to check the MT-09 as I think the Tracer model might do what I need for touring.

Talked to Ducati today and I will be one of the very few to get the bike on the first day, the 25th this month. Changed to yellow because I somehow like it more, can't say why.

Two weeks to go and I can't wait :)

Fantastic News: Scramblers ordered before the end of April come with a Ducati Worry Free Program which means free service including labor and parts (except tires and batteries) for the first 4 years or 30k kilometers. This is a substantial saving considering that sometimes Ducatis service costs can be a bit high.

To be honest this was my biggest worry when I ordered the Scrambler as noone could tell me the service intervals nor costs and I didn't fancy paying xxk THB every couple months because I put on some serious milage on my bikes. Love it!

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/ScramblerThailand/photos/a.365437083614244.1073741828.314565108701442/454357708055514/?type=1

10952233_454357708055514_315564625070181

Correction: 30.000 kilometers not miles. Why can't I edit my own post to fix it...?

Did it for you

To the left of the Multi Quote and Quote boxes you should see an Edit in blue. You may have to hold the cursor over it to hilight.

Click Edit - do your thing - good to go.

Let me know if it works OK

The edit button is not there on my original post but it is on the correction post. I think there might be a time limit after which editing is not allowed anymore. Thanks anyways.

If so I was not aware of it.

You are Welcome

It is cheap (relatively speaking). Yes it's Ducati but it's their budget bike. I read many reports online when people say that the build quality is cheap, cheap components like seat and body panels, etc... But many say it's fun to ride and many are happy with the handling.

Next to a Panigale everything looks cheap :) I mean come on, can't compare the bikes.

But on a general level the build quality seems pretty decent in my opinion. I'll let you know by the end of the month if anything fell off of mine.

Next to a Panigale everything looks cheap :) I mean come on, can't compare the bikes.

But on a general level the build quality seems pretty decent in my opinion. I'll let you know by the end of the month if anything fell off of mine.

Agreed. I drool over the beautifully machined parts and finish on the classic Ducaties.

The Scrambler didn't get my juices flowing. Should have spent less on the goofy marketing program and put that into the bikes.

Next to a Panigale everything looks cheap smile.png I mean come on, can't compare the bikes.

Agreed. I drool over the beautifully machined parts and finish on the classic Ducaties.

The Scrambler didn't get my juices flowing. Should have spent less on the goofy marketing program and put that into the bikes.

I dont get the marketing program at all. The whole hipster image its aimed at has peaked. Nobody riding original scrambler bikes wore an errol flyn mustache and wood choppers shirt.

Edited by eeeya

The marketing nerds really had too much control in this project.

A nice Ducati Scrambler doesn't need any elaborate marketing.

Still, I would consider owning one. Looks fun, comfortable, plenty of power.

When they come up second hand with 20-30% off I may take a good look again. Make a radical cafe racer.

Still jizzing over that Panigale.

Edited by joesanunu