Curfew in Phuket Lifted or Not?

Sabahkiddo in Phuket

Thanks for the replies. And to those who so cavalierly assume I was just blindly listening to gossip from a friend check out my post again.

I was trying to verify what I had been told with a discrepancy in what my girlfriend had just observed this afternoon re early to work go-go dancers at Taipan. Her observation apparently undercut the accuracy and credibility of my ex-pat's bud's statement. So obviously I was already having doubts re what he had told me.

It would seem I was engaging "my head" unlike some people who didn't engage theirs enough to really see what was being asked in terms of my post. Next time try reading things from beginning to end.

Btw I did do a search before I posted but at the time I couldn't find any up to date news to help with my question so I turned to the forum in the hopes of finding some constructive clarification. And for those who gave it thank you..

There are some very cynical people on here. Don't listen to them. I do think it is in place till the end of the month. A friend who has a stall at Patpong markets told me that and it is national. Hope that helps.

How about just a constructive yes or no to the question, minus the meaningless cynicism?

Sorry, Newbie. If you can't handle cynicism, close your browser NOW and run, do not walk, to the nearest bar!

• Like 2

We are far from the political circus of Bangkok although a nationwide curfew means exactly that. They have put forward the concern about the decline in tourists because of it, but they haven't mentioned the concern for people not getting paid. As a businesses owner, I can see other problems arising. I have a few so it's doesn't affect me too much, but what about others. Some businesses are only open at night or make most revenue at night. Places such as restaurants, bars, clubs, shows etc. If these businesses have to close early or not open at all, how do they make revenue to pay staff, rent, get key money back and pay bills? This will trickle down to the staff, if the business can't pay staff, then the staff have no money to live, get children to school, buy food or clothes and pay bills. I am still paying my staff, because I can andI can use them in other areas/businesses. However, those businesses that can't, how many people do you think will have no money next month? I can understand the reasons for the curfew, but this really needs to be relaxed otherwise there is going to be a lot of desperate people out there. I wouldn't be surprised if the businesses don't seek compensation for loss of revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the businesses are very, very disappointed.

I don't think the bars pay their girls if they don't work. Saying that they are opening early so get in 4 to 5 hours before the curfew.

Unless things have changed which i doubt, They do not pay the girls at all and fine them if they do not turn

up for their unpaid job, share of bar fines and lady drinks among other things is how they make their money thumbsup.gif

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.

There's two types:- those who are paid a salary and have to work or get fined and those who are only paid when they come to work. Tips, lady drinks and bar fines are shared between the girls and the bar. Correct me if I am wrong but that was my take on things last time I was there in January.

Edited by y2k

Thanks for the replies. And to those who so cavalierly assume I was just blindly listening to gossip from a friend check out my post again.

I was trying to verify what I had been told with a discrepancy in what my girlfriend had just observed this afternoon re early to work go-go dancers at Taipan. Her observation apparently undercut the accuracy and credibility of my ex-pat's bud's statement. So obviously I was already having doubts re what he had told me.

It would seem I was engaging "my head" unlike some people who didn't engage theirs enough to really see what was being asked in terms of my post. Next time try reading things from beginning to end.

Btw I did do a search before I posted but at the time I couldn't find any up to date news to help with my question so I turned to the forum in the hopes of finding some constructive clarification. And for those who gave it thank you..

My mate says the curfew still stands, hope this helps?

I don't think the bars pay their girls if they don't work. Saying that they are opening early so get in 4 to 5 hours before the curfew.

Unless things have changed which i doubt, They do not pay the girls at all and fine them if they do not turn

up for their unpaid job, share of bar fines and lady drinks among other things is how they make their money thumbsup.gif

Not true. Fines and quotas only apply if they get a daily, or monthly salary.

If you weren't getting paid, would you pay a fine?

Just common sense innit?

Just common sense innit?

Only repeating what i was told by bar girls, not trolls, just common sense innit

The only thing they got was free accomadation in Patong

Edited by nedkellylives

Accommodation IS a form of pay, is it not? They would also have been given money for food. This is a common bar business model.

You don't think you should have mentioned this in your original post?

You talked to a bar girl?

I'm shocked!

Shocked, I say!

Edited by KarenBravo

Just common sense innit?

You are correct in the fact they don't get paid if they don't turn up. However if they can't work due to forced closure, you still have to pay them by law. One of my businesses is a bar and I have spoken with my lawyer about this situation and yes if the staff turn up, you still have to pay them for the entire shift because they have forced you to close after a couple of hours due to ruling in place. It is not that the staff don't turn up, it's that they can turn up but are unable to work due to the curfew. Bar fines and lady drinks are totally different from salary and yes the girls get this each day. However if the bar is only open for a short time, the chances of this are reduced incredibly. To resolve this problem I have them working in the afternoon in another business and then head over to the bar around 6pm. But not all people can do this and I know of some people either not opening at all or if they do, they arn't making the revenue to pay the staff.

Edited by Phuketboy