How does divorce affect a marriage visa

If I have a one year Thai family Visa and we get divorced, does the visa expire immediately or at the end of the term? She has 2 kids from a previous marriage but they are over 18, if that matters. Thanks for any advice.

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate based upon marriage it would remain valid until it expires.

If you are on an extension of stay (it is not a visa) you got at immigration it will end on the date you get divorced.

• Like 2

There is no one year marriage visa, most likely they have a one year extension of permission to stay, that would end when the marriage ends.

I think it is called a type O family visa. It is for one year and I have had 7 extensions on it. Unfortunately the 8th isn't looking too likely.

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate based upon marriage it would remain valid until it expires.

If you are on an extension of stay (it is not a visa) you got at immigration it will end on the date you get divorced.

So the first year is a one year visa and after that it is a one year extension of stay?

• Like 1

You don't have a visa you have an extension of stay based upon marriage. It will end on the date you get divorced.

So I will need to leave the country immediately? Is there any kind of grace perios? Can I leave the country and come back with a 90 day tourist visa?

So the first year is a one year visa and after that it is a one year extension of stay?

When enter on a visa you are given a permit to stay. After you enter the country you no longer have a visa you have a permit to stay. A permit to stay can be extended.

It possible to get an extension of stay based upon marriage for the permit to stay obtained from a single entry visa or even a conversion done at immigration.

Knowing each office and officer reads different books, when I was faced with that situation a couple of years ago, I went to ask my local Imm office. They told me the rules as already stated, BUT then said don't bother about it until the present term ends.

If you are over 50 apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

That is, if you have enough income per month (65.000 baht) or money in the bank (800.000 baht), or a mix of the two.

Don't wait till the marriage extension ends, do it directly after the divorce, I believe the end of the marriage also seems to be the end of the extension on the grounds of marriage.

Edited by hansnl

Knowing each office and officer reads different books, when I was faced with that situation a couple of years ago, I went to ask my local Imm office. They told me the rules as already stated, BUT then said don't bother about it until the present term ends.

The problem could come up when you go to immigration at the end of your extension of stay based upon marriage to change the reason for it. Immigration could ask you why you are changing and/or ask for a letter from your wife acknowledging or approving the change. Then what would you do.

There is no grace period of 7 days. You have to apply for an extra 7 days and pay 1,900 baht for it.

So your saying the date your divorce is final you have to physically leave Thailand or change your status at immigration that same date?

There is no grace period of 7 days. You have to apply for an extra 7 days and pay 1,900 baht for it.

So your saying the date your divorce is final you have to physically leave Thailand or change your status at immigration that same date?

That is the way it would work. But a person would have plenty of time to prepare for it. A divorce does not happen overnight.

It is the same for an extension based upon working. Loose you your job and leave the same day.

• Like 1

The problem could come up when you go to immigration at the end of your extension of stay based upon marriage to change the reason for it. Immigration could ask you why you are changing and/or ask for a letter from your wife acknowledging or approving the change. Then what would you do.

I got a retirement visa with no questions asked.

if they wanted proof, you would have an official divorce certificate. I stated the above, just as an example of what actually happened, NOT to state that it was the rules & regs.

All history for me now, Thank ,,,,,,,,k

No problem to go out for a visa. Changing to a different extension of stay could be a problem.

I am on a one year marriage extention and was thinking of changing to a one year retirement extention for next renewal as paperwork etc is simpler. Take it that this may not be a simple process?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem to go out for a visa. Changing to a different extension of stay could be a problem.

I am on a one year marriage extention and was thinking of changing to a one year retirement extention for next renewal as paperwork etc is simpler. Take it that this may not be a simple process?

That was in reply to the previous post calling an extension a visa.

You can change if you want to. You wife wife may be asked to give her approval because of the additional financial requirements.

That is the way it would work. But a person would have plenty of time to prepare for it. A divorce does not happen overnight.

It is the same for an extension based upon working. Loose you your job and leave the same day.

What happens when a wife / spouse dies ?? They surely dont expect you to pack up and leave on the day !!!

When my wife died I wasnt even thinking about visa issues for a long long time..

I changed from marriage to retirement visa 2 years ago as paperwork is a lot easier. No problems, it is a simple process.

Well, we didn't get divorced, but my wife died. Back in those days (1995) Immigration on Suan Phlu was a more friendly place. We had dealt with the same officer for several years, extending the visa (or "permission to stay" to be technical). I asked him, and he told me I should stay until it came time to renew the extension again (about nine months). Thing is, I was eligible for a retirement visa (extension of stay), but short of the income requirement. Anyway, the law may be that your "extension of stay" is no longer valid, but unless you take copies of the divorce papers to Immigration who's going to know? Stay until the expiration date.

Edited by Acharn