TOT internet

rutteketuut

In your dreams ! Nothing is as stated or consistent anywhere, its luck of the draw.

Oh dear me another person who has not bothered to read their contract with their internet service provider. They only sell the connection "speed" packages from you to them within Thailand only.

Who ever said anything about global internet speed?

'Good' is an interesting word when describing TOT Internet service. I've used it for the past 6 years, current incarnation is the 16/1 package @ 990฿. International connections aside (the routing in/out of Thailand is crap for all of them) when it works it works Ok. If you get somewhere around 80% of what you are paying for, it's working OK, which is actually typical for ADSL anywhere in the world, remember its not cable or FTTH. It suffers, at least in my location, random resets, which can play havoc if you are using it for any kind of streaming service with geo masking, since you need to reset the DNS service every time it re-syncs with a new IP address. There are days when its unusable but I've come to just live with that, complaining gets you nowhere, and it'll miraculously repair itself.

I'm in Back of Beyond land, there is no alternative, unless I wanted a heavily capped 3G connection, which if you use if for video etc, is impractical since you can rip through 7GB in a few days, so for me its 'Good'

• Like 1

Is the TOT hi speed 13 Mbps for 690 bt any good?

As others have stated; condition of the wire, interconnections, electronic noise, distance from the central office and effects of wind/rain will all have an impact on speed and stability.

I was lucky to get 7 mbps, needing to reset the modem/router 3 times a day to reinitialize sync. My connection probably wasn't the norm.

Finally switched to TOT Fiber 2 U (FTTx fiber optic) and now have a stable 15/1 connection with up to 6/1 International Internet.

Is the TOT hi speed 13 Mbps for 690 bt any good?

As others have stated; condition of the wire, interconnections, electronic noise, distance from the central office and effects of wind/rain will all have an impact on speed and stability.

I was lucky to get 7 mbps, needing to reset the modem/router 3 times a day to reinitialize sync. My connection probably wasn't the norm.

Finally switched to TOT Fiber 2 U (FTTx fiber optic) and now have a stable 15/1 connection with up to 6/1 International Internet.

I'm on the Fiber 2U as well. Do you get vastly inferior speedtest results daily between 6pm-11pm?

I know this is extremely common (or "the norm") in Thailand but I was hoping to get around that by signing up for fttx in place of my previous adsl service. Things still work pretty well during peak hours - I'm actually watching Hulu now with no problems. The thing is though, I'd rather be playing online games but unfortunately all my regular server ping over 300ms during peak hours :(

Speedtests back to TOT Bangkok are always at the limit of my 15/1 subscription.

My International Internet speeds vary greatly over the day, hovering between 2.3 and 6.0 mbps. Connections directly to San Jose and Los Angeles California servers will usually remain on the high side while other US locations will slow as congestion builds.

Hmm just got this from the True Internet speed test to Singapore:

Download Speed: 39037 kbps (4879.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1963 kbps (245.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 229 ms

Not sure what's going on there, I don't even get that high on the Thai server. However if I do exactly the same test between 6pm-11pm it's usually somewhere about 200 KB/sec (download!) with a latency of 340 ms or so. I'm on the 15/2 subscription.

Edited by crabdog

As I posted above this was the result during off peak to Singapore:

Download Speed: 39037 kbps (4879.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1963 kbps (245.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 229 ms

And now during peak...

Download Speed: 734 kbps (91.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 524 kbps (65.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 312 ms

Just absurd.