Which island should I live on?

I've ruled out Tao thanks you you guys and Bali is on hold for the moment, so I'm just stuck choosing between KP and Samui.

I'd basically like to know the easiest place to rock up, rent a room and bike for a few days to ride around the island looking for a place to stay for around 7-8Kpm with a small kitchen (just want a stove, fridge, and sink).

I live a pretty simple like just messing around with fitness and playing on computer.

I know there are gyms on both islands

Probably nice beaches on both islands

They're close to each other so I can visit either

They both have a supermarket and small food markets

Samui is maybe more dangerous riding a scooter?

But Samui probably has better internet?

More backpackers KP, Thai girls Samui?

So as you can see, I could probably have a good time on both so I would love your opinion on how easy it would be to find the house/bungalow I'm after plus any other positives and negatives you can tell me about living on each island.

Thanks

Samui seemed to have enough going on to make it a viable option. The thing I do not like is that it is so expensive to fly in and out....and the ferry I took was quite far from the airport at Surat Thani as well.

This week we will drive down to Rayong, and visit Koh Samet, for the first time. I would never live on an island full time (well, except in Oahu). Anyways, I wish to take a look at the Ban Chang area as a place to live. It is close enough to Koh Samet, as well as Pattaya. Also only three hours to Trat and Koh Chang.Seems like there is enough variety.

Two years in Udon was nice enough, but I am ready to try something else.

• Like 1

It really comes down to what a person likes to do.... Samui has a lot more to offer in many respects than KP... and as Mole says is cheaper on just about everything...

As for traffic etc, it really depends on what part of either island you live... Chawang would be the worst area of Samui to live on as far as that goes... but areas can be very quite...

Moles suggestion of checking out both islands for a while is a good one.... I can only speak for my self, KP is a nice place for a holiday, but boring for long term living.... (my opinion!... I tried it for nine months! .... get me outta here!!!....coffee1.gif )

As for comparing anything here to Oahu .... well one would need to be a millionaire to live there...w00t.gif .... perhaps "Waki Waki" beach is swept and groomed every morning, but on some beaches in Hawaii you see the same as you do here.... silly comment really to compare ... blink.png

• Like 1

Samui seemed to have enough going on to make it a viable option. The thing I do not like is that it is so expensive to fly in and out....and the ferry I took was quite far from the airport at Surat Thani as well.

This week we will drive down to Rayong, and visit Koh Samet, for the first time. I would never live on an island full time (well, except in Oahu). Anyways, I wish to take a look at the Ban Chang area as a place to live. It is close enough to Koh Samet, as well as Pattaya. Also only three hours to Trat and Koh Chang.Seems like there is enough variety.

Hope you have booked ahead on Samet. This wknd is Samed in Love concert. Absolutely no chance in getting a room otherwise!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I've actually spent more than a month on each island in the past so have a feel for them.

I read an article recently about someone traveling to KP and looking around for a day at all the 'house for rent' signs then picking one up with a kitchen for about 7-8K per month.

If anyone could confirm the same thing would be possible on Samui I might head there because there will obviously be a lot more going on and I can still live quietly when I want to.

Lots of house for rent signs on both islands. I prefer Phangan because the houses for rent are closer to the beach. As there is a Tesco, Big C and Makro, things are not more expensive. Not much 'going on' at the moment though, except in Haad Rin.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

It really comes down to what a person likes to do.... Samui has a lot more to offer in many respects than KP... and as Mole says is cheaper on just about everything...

As for traffic etc, it really depends on what part of either island you live... Chawang would be the worst area of Samui to live on as far as that goes... but areas can be very quite...

Moles suggestion of checking out both islands for a while is a good one.... I can only speak for my self, KP is a nice place for a holiday, but boring for long term living.... (my opinion!... I tried it for nine months! .... get me outta here!!!....coffee1.gif )

As for comparing anything here to Oahu .... well one would need to be a millionaire to live there...w00t.gif .... perhaps "Waki Waki" beach is swept and groomed every morning, but on some beaches in Hawaii you see the same as you do here.... silly comment really to compare ... blink.png

Lol...

Not really. I was not comparing Oahu with Samui. I only said I would not live on an island and if I did, it would be Oahu. I bought a condo there a while back and was stationed at Kaneohe bay. The government paid for the lease.

Not a millionaire either

So not silly at all...if you read it correctly.

Hope you have booked ahead on Samet. This wknd is Samed in Love concert. Absolutely no chance in getting a room otherwise!

Thanks for the warning...I will wait one more week then...

I fear this will become a "Romans" thread but here's my 2p:

One of the islands has:

- 4x private & 1x Govt hospital,the latter being bigger than the others combined.

- Dozens of reasonably priced clinics for outpatients, along with expensive ones too for the unwary.

- A multiplace hyperbaric chamber.

- An airport & regular ferries to the mainland or surrounding islands.

- Schools, Post offices, Gas Stations, KM's more highways on which to use the bike in your OP, Supermarkets, cash & carry and a reasonable shopping mall, Cinema.

- Increased likelihood of fair play if you manage to bend the bike, although not guaranteed.

The only thing I haven't yet found on Samui is a Ski slope:)

• Like 1

The only thing I haven't yet found on Samui is a Ski slope:)

Thanks for the heads up.... Now I have extra room in my luggage (no skis)

I am sorting through my pictures from my last visit and came up with other things you cannot find there as well.

But I do agree that it has more conveniences for comfortable living. Good if you want to stay forever in one place and just fly out only when needed. (wouldn't want to always do the ferry/bus route)

I've actually spent more than a month on each island in the past so have a feel for them.

I read an article recently about someone traveling to KP and looking around for a day at all the 'house for rent' signs then picking one up with a kitchen for about 7-8K per month.

If anyone could confirm the same thing would be possible on Samui I might head there because there will obviously be a lot more going on and I can still live quietly when I want to.

Yes certainly available on Samui..... several members I know here are paying in that price range, not dumps either.... some even include water and electric...thumbsup.gif (but you really need to search around, they go fast ... same are also fairly close to beach areas... Parts of Lamai or Maenam areas for sure.... wink.png

When I was looking around on KP back in 2008 you would be hard pressed to find something on KP in that price range unless it was a "dive"whistling.gifbah.gif Perhaps things have changed.... ? But houses I have seen more recently tend to be in the 12,000 to 17,000 +- range on KP that compare to what I have ...wink.png

Angtong help out here! update on KP prices please! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Lol...

Not really. I was not comparing Oahu with Samui. I only said I would not live on an island and if I did, it would be Oahu. I bought a condo there a while back and was stationed at Kaneohe bay. The government paid for the lease.

Not a millionaire either

So not silly at all...if you read it correctly.

Sorry... just a bit of a "wind up" SL tongue.pngwink.png

My last visit to Hawaii was about 12 years ago.... it was not same same as it used to be in the 70's .... when things were affordable and reasonable and my old haunts were all gone!!! wink.png

Samui will no doubt not be the same in 25 years or so .... things change... not always for the better!

Yes certainly available on Samui..... several members I know here are paying in that price range, not dumps either.... some even include water and electric...thumbsup.gif (but you really need to search around, they go fast ... same are also fairly close to beach areas... Parts of Lamai or Maenam areas for sure.... wink.png

When I was looking around on KP back in 2008 you would be hard pressed to find something on KP in that price range unless it was a "dive"whistling.gifbah.gif Perhaps things have changed.... ? But houses I have seen more recently tend to be in the 12,000 to 17,000 +- range on KP that compare to what I have ...wink.png

Angtong help out here! update on KP prices please! whistling.gif

Does it have to be Angthong? I've recently been house hunting in KP and there are quite a few places very near the beach for 7-8 thousand and certainly not dumps. The 12 to 17 thousand range tend to be those with a sea view.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

Samui is a concrete jungle with crazy drivers it is no longer paradise KP is more beautiful and more relaxed.having lived on both islands for a number of years I would suggest KP good luck wherever you decide

• Like 1

I just lived on Phangan for 6 high seasons, loved it and absolutely hated Samui whenever I had to go over there for something.

Too crowded, too Hi-so tourists, too much traffic, too much.......everything. On the other hand, they have modern conveniences not available on Phangan, like air-conditioned restaurants and good hospitals and places like Home Pro and a large Tesco. Plus an airport.

Bear in mind Phangan has only one Tesco in Thong Sala, and it's small, food-only.

Internet was never an issue, I live near BKK right now and my internet was way better and faster on Phangan........be aware they still have the occasional blackout as well, usually just an hour or 2 but sometimes overnight, which makes it hard to sleep.

For me it would be a no-brainer, the old proverbial "Phangan looks like Samui did 30 years ago." If you want something like that,move to Phangan; if you want more mod cons and want to be around more people, go to Samui.

• Like 1

why did u leave off PHuket?

I find phuket cheaper than Samui.

has everything you want, great for cycling as long as ur ok with hills

various way to get here

great food,

plenty of people (both thais and Farnags)

Accomodations from 2,500/month up to.....

Nightlife or quiet

• Like 1

I just lived on Phangan for 6 high seasons, loved it and absolutely hated Samui whenever I had to go over there for something.

Too crowded, too Hi-so tourists, too much traffic, too much.......everything. On the other hand, they have modern conveniences not available on Phangan, like air-conditioned restaurants and good hospitals and places like Home Pro and a large Tesco. Plus an airport.

Bear in mind Phangan has only one Tesco in Thong Sala, and it's small, food-only.

Internet was never an issue, I live near BKK right now and my internet was way better and faster on Phangan........be aware they still have the occasional blackout as well, usually just an hour or 2 but sometimes overnight, which makes it hard to sleep.

For me it would be a no-brainer, the old proverbial "Phangan looks like Samui did 30 years ago." If you want something like that,move to Phangan; if you want more mod cons and want to be around more people, go to Samui.

This has me swinging towards KP again haha.

I guess either one will do at the end of the day, but I'm glad I know they're both available and I should be able to find somewhere to live at my current price range which will hopefully go up over the months.

why did u leave off PHuket?

I find phuket cheaper than Samui.

has everything you want, great for cycling as long as ur ok with hills

various way to get here

great food,

plenty of people (both thais and Farnags)

Accomodations from 2,500/month up to.....

Nightlife or quiet

I was thinking about Phuket at the beginning, but knocked it off the list pretty early on.

I've stayed in Nai Harn before but that was about 8-9 years ago, and if I went back I'd want to be down near there (or Rawai/Chalong) and I doubt I'd find anywhere decent within my price range.

Obviously when those who talk about Samui being a "concrete jungle" are referring mainly to Chawang....perhaps Lamai...?. whistling.gif

Many parts of Samui are not much different than KP.... I would guess 80 to 90% +- is Jungle, farms and beaches! Trouble is most people miss out on what is really here and never take the time to see what is really here!

I beg to differ.... but Samui is generally cheaper than KP, you see even at 7-11 prices are a few baht more on KP...(just one example) ... Prices are better for houses close to beach here on Samui.. but it depends on where you are!

Deaw, is obviously out of touch, as KP now has Makro, Big C and Tesco... Home Mart too... that being said, there still is limited things to do for full timers on KP... but that suites some people.... so I am not trying to knock it! wink.png

• Like 2

Obviously when those who talk about Samui being a "concrete jungle" are referring mainly to Chawang....perhaps Lamai...?. whistling.gif

Many parts of Samui are not much different than KP.... I would guess 80 to 90% +- is Jungle, farms and beaches! Trouble is most people miss out on what is really here and never take the time to see what is really here!

I beg to differ.... but Samui is generally cheaper than KP, you see even at 7-11 prices are a few baht more on KP...(just one example) ... Prices are better for houses close to beach here on Samui.. but it depends on where you are!

Deaw, is obviously out of touch, as KP now has Makro, Big C and Tesco... Home Mart too... that being said, there still is limited things to do for full timers on KP... but that suites some people.... so I am not trying to knock it! wink.png

Can you recommend some places to look at on Samui outwith Chaweng and Lamui where those houses close to the beach are?

It would also be cool if they were within 15 min ride of either of them.

Cheers

wink.png

Can you recommend some places to look at on Samui outwith Chaweng and Lamui where those houses close to the beach are?

It would also be cool if they were within 15 min ride of either of them.

Cheers

Well, I am in Maenam toward Nathon side, near Lomprayah ferry, about 150 meters as the crow flies to the beach.... and really not much more than 15 - 20 mins to Chawang... less than 30 minutes to Lamai, using Soi 1 route which has little traffic! (avoiding at least Chawangs' "concrete jungle!") But even taking that route is about same distance.... driving in rush hour traffic can be a bit time consuming!w00t.gif

There are "house for rent" signs going up these days, around my area... Some times these signs go down fast as so many people looking.... It is really a case of being here to pin down what you want.... and what feels right for you.... (check what's included... some include electric and water, as mine does.... some don't.... )

I know one or two people in Lamai, who pay about the same, as I do, who are not that far from the beach areas..... perhaps someone there could confirm ....? NMS are you there ???...wink.png

There are also places on the south and South west and west side of the island.... that is probably more like KP..... Even some places across the ring road around Ban Por.... up the Soi's

It's really a case of driving around and looking.... and asking once here! What is available today, may not be tomorrow..... even now in slow season... facepalm.gif

• Like 2

I know one or two people in Lamai, who pay about the same, as I do, who are not that far from the beach areas..... perhaps someone there could confirm ....? NMS are you there ???...wink.png

There are also places on the south and South west and west side of the island.... that is probably more like KP..... Even some places across the ring road around Ban Por.... up the Soi's

It's really a case of driving around and looking.... and asking once here! What is available today, may not be tomorrow..... even now in slow season... facepalm.gif

I'm here mate.

All full where I am. Like you say, best bet is to just ride around asking which generally means checking into a hotel on a daily basis. I'll ask a couple of friend when they come online.

[edit]

Pays to ask at mom and pop stores too as they generally know everyone in the area who rents out and can just call them.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

Oh, KPG is terribly expensive, 12-17K is a low estimate. It also has plenty of blackouts, some very nasty locals and an ongoing dengue epidemic. Hospitals are non-existent when (not if) you have your bike accident and you'll struggle to establish much of a social network as few farangs stay on KPG longer than a few weeks.

My advice? Stay away.

• Like 2