Which island should I live on?

I stayed on the west side of KP last year for a month and it wasn't very expensive. I had a kitchen and ate food I bought from the local market, which was also cheap. The place I stayed in last time seems to have bumped up their prices greatly, but I'm sure there will still be bargains to be had.

I also stayed in Lamai and someone tried to break into my room while I was sleeping, but I woke up and scared them off. I know there are deals around there with the price I'm looking for, but not sure if they have kitchens and they would have to be secure.

I only really have a cheap laptop anyway, but if it goes it means replacing it which I'd rather not do.

why did u leave off PHuket?

I find phuket cheaper than Samui.

has everything you want, great for cycling as long as ur ok with hills

various way to get here

great food,

plenty of people (both thais and Farnags)

Accomodations from 2,500/month up to.....

Nightlife or quiet

Phuket is a horrible place! Too many bar girls, same with Samui. KP gets my vote.

• Like 1

Samui is the most comfortable tropical allround island you can live, which has still this tropical island feeling if you want. KPG, however, has that feeling much more. And that, that tropical island feeling is the reason why we are here, I mean some of us. So, the rest, hospitals, social network etc is just cosmetics.

If you want first of all good schools and perfect hospitals, good roads, nightlife, many restaurants etc etc and also an island and tropical weather etc, then Singapore would be a better place

why did u leave off PHuket?

I find phuket cheaper than Samui.

has everything you want, great for cycling as long as ur ok with hills

various way to get here

great food,

plenty of people (both thais and Farnags)

Accomodations from 2,500/month up to.....

Nightlife or quiet

Phuket is a horrible place! Too many bar girls, same with Samui. KP gets my vote.

I live on Samui since many years and I never see bar girls.

Deaw, is obviously out of touch, as KP now has Makro, Big C and Tesco... Home Mart too... that being said, there still is limited things to do for full timers on KP...

Then these are all brand new. When I left there at the end of 2012 there wasn't even one of these things, all we had was a small, food-only Tesco in Thong Sala.

Maybe I left the island at a good time?

wrong

Patong is a horrible place! Too many bar girls

the rest of the island ( especially north of patong) is very nice

I wouldn't say Phuket is *horrible*, that's a pretty strong word. But I haven't been there since 2007, which I think speaks volumes at least in my case; prior to that I used to go there all the time.

Way too many people, way too crowded, way too many traffic jams, and yes, Patong is pretty much Pattaya south and is a dump of epic proportions. I can't imagine the island has gotten any better or less crowded in the past 7 years, and I see no reason to ever go back there. Ditto Samui.

• Like 2

Deaw, is obviously out of touch, as KP now has Makro, Big C and Tesco... Home Mart too... that being said, there still is limited things to do for full timers on KP...

Then these are all brand new. When I left there at the end of 2012 there wasn't even one of these things, all we had was a small, food-only Tesco in Thong Sala.

Maybe I left the island at a good time?

Indeed. Big C opened in May 2013 and Makro in Feb 2014. Tesco also expanded (maybe 50 % more space) in 2014.

One is curious to know where you might be today. KPG is getting crowded.

Edited by AngThong

There are many islands in Thailand where time stands still. Koh Payam for instance. No malls, no streets, no nightlife, just bungalow, beach, wind and the sea

...until people find them -> money finds them...

• Like 1

I do need some grass to exercise, but the sand will do.

Btw are there any trees with horizontal branches on the islands?

Might sound like a stupid question, but I can only remember vertical coconut trees the last time I was there.

Need a horizontal branch to hang gymnastic rings from.

I do need some grass to exercise, but the sand will do.

Btw are there any trees with horizontal branches on the islands?

Might sound like a stupid question, but I can only remember vertical coconut trees the last time I was there.

Need a horizontal branch to hang gymnastic rings from.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Angthong seems to have a good sense of humour... and good at yanking chains! tongue.png

Now there is an idea, to Velcro my camera to my head! .... Thanks ...cannot find who said that now~ !blink.pngthumbsup.gif

Yes, lots of trees around Samui to hang around on! I am sworn to secrecy as to where this one pictured is exactly....whistling.gif ... but more like this around Samui.... (No doubt KP too! wink.png )

I'll just say north of island beaches hab a few trees over hanging the beach.... wink.png

IMG_1511.JPG

Phangan or Samui…?

It really depends of what you are looking for – so best advise, as other already said, try to live for a while (week/month) on both islands, preferably try some different locations also.

I choose Samui because of facilities, such like hospitals, shopping, nightlife, schools (as I have a kid), service, airport, ferry connections etc. – and you can still find quiet areas on Samui, if you are not into too much noise and party next to where you live.

Samui is a bit more expensive than mainland, but still affordable – and the high airfare seems like a benefit, it keeps overpopulation of package tourists at hold. Finding a place for 7-8k/m (long term) is possible, in some areas you can find (1 bed + living + bath + kitchen + terrace/balcony) bungalows around that price-level about 100 meter from a nice beach and same distance to some shopping (locals plus 7-eleven or Family Mart), and about 15 min. ride from major shopping centre and nightlife…

Traffic on Samui is considered a bit (or very) dangerous, but many people have lived here for long time, drive bike or scooter daily, and “survived” – presume it’s a question of paying attention.

Internet at Samui seems to be fair, or fast enough for most private use, may depend of area/location.

»More backpackers KP, Thai girls Samui?«

I don’t know about backpackers at KP – apart from the mandatory five days around a Full Moon Party – but there are quite a lot of them at Samui, especially around Chaweng, if you mean the partying ones. Girls – and I presume you think of “working”– yes, there are more of them at Samui, especially in Chaweng and Lamai.

»…any trees with horizontal branches on the islands?«

Yes, but depending where you wish to live/stay…

Both coconut palms by some beaches (know one north, and one south) and some ordinary trees around the island, of which some already used for (kid’s) swings…

Wish you good luck – come and try it out for yourself… smile.png

• Like 2