Banks interested in bidding for bridging loan to pay Thai rice farmers

webfact

"Please elaborate on the 'usual snouts' that is assuming you're not into defaming the NCPO, something which for those of us in Thailand is against (Martial) Law."

You're just too much rubl.

Consistently.

Actually, you're not enough there, just not enough there at all.

Always and forever.

rubl.

Actually I'm there. Looking out of the window I can see the Chao Praya flowing past, low tide at the moment.

On the other hand I guess you want to say I'm not there on your side as far as opinion is concerned. Well, that's true, I'm not.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in other words, the farmers are still waiting for their money.

so much for the army promised paying rapidly

Yes indeed so we ain't seen nuthin yet.

For one thing, the Army finance officers think a bridge loan to pay the farmers means they get to build another bridge, which undoubtedly will be to nowhere. From Nontaburi over Bangkok to Samut Prakarn sounds about right for the mega bucks that would involve.

For another thing, the Army is going to have to shit out the multiple billions of baht, which means the printing presses are going to get fired up again into overdrive, which will do wonders for the baht and for the government's own special accounting colors, which are in the red and nowhere near the black.

And given that the Army is in this for the long haul, the opportunities for the boyz in the brass hats are simply without limit.

Still at it I see. Negative thoughts based on your assumptions.

Anyway if the army needs to find multiple billions of Baht to pay farmers (assuming you're still on topic) then any government would have the same problem, now wouldn't they?

Seem now the banks are climbing all over themselves to provide loans to the rice scheme. The infrastructure and the water projects are back on the drawing board. OPEC wants the tablet scheme to continue and the budget is back on track. Looks like pre PDRC days. Except for stopping the amnesty bill, the 6+ months of PDRC really has not achieved anything.

Some have noticed Yingluck and her cronies are no longer in office.

• Like 1

Seem now the banks are climbing all over themselves to provide loans to the rice scheme. The infrastructure and the water projects are back on the drawing board. OPEC wants the tablet scheme to continue and the budget is back on track. Looks like pre PDRC days. Except for stopping the amnesty bill, the 6+ months of PDRC really has not achieved anything.

Some don't have much of a choice except to do what Army "asks" them to do.

Edited by newcomer71

Yingluck and company had a world of choice. Now they are learning that actions (or lack thereof) have consequences.

• Like 1

Please explain yourself. Thanks wai.gif

Some have noticed Yingluck and her cronies are no longer in office.[/

Isnt this unfortunate that a legitimate elected government has to bow to undemocractic forces and banks who were intimidated to lend found the courage to lend now. And the irony of previous resistants to the infrastructure, water and tablet projects are now back, found favour and consider again. Talking about cronies, seem the police reform is just about switching from cronies of one to the other. I wouldn't be too harsh on Yingluck seeing the similar antics of the present.

• Like 1

Some have noticed Yingluck and her cronies are no longer in office.[/

Isnt this unfortunate that a legitimate elected government has to bow to undemocractic forces and banks who were intimidated to lend found the courage to lend now. And the irony of previous resistants to the infrastructure, water and tablet projects are now back, found favour and consider again. Talking about cronies, seem the police reform is just about switching from cronies of one to the other. I wouldn't be too harsh on Yingluck seeing the similar antics of the present.

Isn't it a pity that some go on and on and on about a caretaker government being unable to accept financial obligations which would have to be honoured by the next government? About the lies of the Yingluck government in saying to need 270 billion for 2013/2014 RPPS and to have funding. Bills not paid even when the Yingluck government was still in office. An extra 130 billion to be borrowed when in caretaker mode.

Criminally negligent.

• Like 1

Although pressured by PTP, banks were unable to loan due to the questionable status of the caretaker government.

And as far as the projects are concerned, they are hardly "in favor" again. In fact, the tablet tragedy was so poorly managed, there's little chance of seeing the light of day again.

The military is doing considerably more than playing musical chairs with the police hierarchy.

One would do well to check the threads for more information.

Please explain yourself. Thanks wai.gif

I meant: Now banks don't have much of a choice. They must execute army "requests".

• Like 1

Yingluck and company had a world of choice. Now they are learning that actions (or lack thereof) have consequences.

I meant: Now banks don't have much of a choice. They must execute army "requests".

'army requests'?

You mean as in the OP

"Their interest comes after the Finance Ministry invited 32 state and private banks to bid for the first phase of a three-year programme of bridging loans totalling Bt50 billion to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), so that rice farmers can be paid."

Although pressured by PTP, banks were unable to loan due to the questionable status of the caretaker government.

And as far as the projects are concerned, they are hardly "in favor" again. In fact, the tablet tragedy was so poorly managed, there's little chance of seeing the light of day again.

The military is doing considerably more than playing musical chairs with the police hierarchy.

When I said 'courage to lend', it include the aspect on legality which really were in the hands of the EC and the courts. Which bank will not be careful when the EC and the courts were prescribing charges and convictions in rapid succession and double quick time against the government.

Doing more in police or any reforms are that the current government will be neutral, fair and transparent. They hold the power to change civil servants unlike Yingluck who was dismissed doing the same thing

Martial law and all of that.

Good for business and all of that.

And the Bangkok ammart and elites with their faces in the trough without any competition whatsoever.

The uncorrupt and uncorruptable Thai military.

Everything's okay now, right?

laugh.png

Military mutiny coup d'état.

clap2.gif

'army requests'?

You mean as in the OP

"Their interest comes after the Finance Ministry invited 32 state and private banks to bid for the first phase of a three-year programme of bridging loans totalling Bt50 billion to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), so that rice farmers can be paid."

Huh, 5 days of coup and Thailand financial situation became suddenly florid...

Oh well, anyway... As long as farmers are being paid, at the end of the day that is what's important, and I'm sincerely glad that the mess done by the previous government is going to be fixed somehow.

Banks will bid if they think it is good business.

I'm aware of that, I only think how they can evaluate Thailand government situation changed after only just 5 days of coup.

Plus almost every foreign analyst foresee recession...

By the way, I am glad that the farmer mess caused by the last government is going to be fixed somehow.

I'm aware of that, I only think how they can evaluate Thailand government situation changed after only just 5 days of coup.

By the way, I am glad that the farmer mess caused by the last government is going to be fixed somehow.

It's illegal for caretakers to take on debt because it could be seen as campaigning.

Given that it's illegal, one shouldn't think the banks would be involved; after all, if something happens, it might prove difficult to get their money back. Banks have a fiduciary responsibility to their customers and shareholders, and they don't want to go to jail for a failing government willing to break laws attempting to stay in power.

Yingluck should have paid the farmers before PDRC hit the streets, or Yingluck should have provided for the farmers before dissolving parliament. Yingluck chose to do neither.

• Like 1

It's illegal for caretakers to take on debt because it could be seen as campaigning.

Given that it's illegal, one shouldn't think the banks would be involved; after all, if something happens, it might prove difficult to get their money back. Banks have a fiduciary responsibility to their customers and shareholders, and they don't want to go to jail for a failing government willing to break laws attempting to stay in power.

Yingluck should have paid the farmers before PDRC hit the streets, or Yingluck should have provided for the farmers before dissolving parliament. Yingluck chose to do neither.

We surely agree on the fact that until Yingluck resigned they did not do what they should have done: take care of farmers payments.

I still is a mistery how caretaker government has been obstacled to take on debt with the agreement of EC, and now suddenly there's no problem for banks and Thai economy.

Anyway, as I said, the important is farmers are going to be paid and at least this matter will be fixed. A big cheer for Thai farmers!

When I said 'courage to lend', it include the aspect on legality which really were in the hands of the EC and the courts. Which bank will not be careful when the EC and the courts were prescribing charges and convictions in rapid succession and double quick time against the government.

Doing more in police or any reforms are that the current government will be neutral, fair and transparent. They hold the power to change civil servants unlike Yingluck who was dismissed doing the same thing

The aspect of legality is in the law which makes banks reluctant to lent to a caretaker government which is restricted by law on borrowing.

As for changing civil servants, well Yingluck 'promoted' one to make space for a relative. "conflict of interest" or lack of morals and principles, take your pick.

Martial law and all of that.

Good for business and all of that.

And the Bangkok ammart and elites with their faces in the trough without any competition whatsoever.

The uncorrupt and uncorruptable Thai military.

Everything's okay now, right?

You're having some fun, I see. Not bothered by facts, just letting your imagination run amok?

'army requests'?

You mean as in the OP

Oh well, anyway... As long as farmers are being paid, at the end of the day that is what's important, and I'm sincerely glad that the mess done by the previous government is going to be fixed somehow.

I assume you meant "fluid" instead of "florid" ?

Oh well anyway you still managed to suggest some dubious activities in banks' sudden interest while proclaiming to be happy for farmers.

• Like 1

'army requests'?

You mean as in the OP

Oh well anyway you still managed to suggest some dubious activities in banks' sudden interest while proclaiming to be happy for farmers.

Yes, fluid... auto-corrector sometimes doesn't help that much (and review the post before send it too lol).

Why you say I suspected dubious activities by banks? I did not mean that actually.

I only meant, even if Government solvency did not change, under the Caretaker Government, no effort have been made by other institutions to make even the more little loan to finally pay farmers. And when have been done, they had to cancel because the furious PDRC protests.

I was just looking at facts and did not accuse anyone, sometimes there is no need to read between lines wink.png

And I would like to stress on this point: the most important is farmers are being paid. Just it's so bad that they had to wait for too long.

Edited by newcomer71

We surely agree on the fact that until Yingluck resigned they did not do what they should have done: take care of farmers payments.

I still is a mistery how caretaker government has been obstacled to take on debt with the agreement of EC, and now suddenly there's no problem for banks and Thai economy.

Anyway, as I said, the important is farmers are going to be paid and at least this matter will be fixed. A big cheer for Thai farmers!

Yingluck was a caretaker; Yingluck had not the authority for many things.

Prayuth is not lumbered by being a caretaker.

Talking about cronies, seem the police reform is just about switching from cronies of one to the other. I wouldn't be too harsh on Yingluck seeing the similar antics of the present.

BANGKOK, May 29 -- Senior government officials moved to their new offices as ordered by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) including former national police chief Adul Saengsingkaew, ordered to work at the Prime Minister's Office as deputy chief of the NCPO overseeing special affairs.

One can just imagine the special affairs Adul is now overseeing.

'army requests'?

You mean as in the OP

Yes, fluid... auto-corrector sometimes doesn't help that much (and review the post before send it too lol).

Why you say I suspected dubious activities by banks? I did not mean that actually.

I only meant, even if Government solvency did not change, under the Caretaker Government, no effort have been made by other institutions to make even the more little loan to finally pay farmers. And when have been done, they had to cancel because the furious PDRC protests.

I was just looking at facts and did not accuse anyone, sometimes there is no need to read between lines wink.png

And I would like to stress on this point: the most important is farmers are being paid. Just it's so bad that they had to wait for too long.

The facts? You mean like Suthep dropping the effort to stop banks from granting loans to a caretaker government which didn't have the authority to seek those loans? The desperate search for money in State Banks, Pension Funds, anywhere where the caretaker government thought it might influence? Still ignoring that the Yingluck administration had said to need 270 billion Baht for the 2013/2014 RPPS and to have the funding. Months before dissolving the House bills weren't paid already and the caretaker government suddenly wanted to borrow 130 billion.

Those type of facts?

• Like 1

Yingluck was a caretaker; Yingluck had not the authority for many things.

Prayuth is not lumbered by being a caretaker.

Piichai I am aware of that, if the EC would have given their ok, I am sure that banks would have given their ok for loans as they do now.

I am not putting it on a political matter, but I am looking it from the farmers perspective. It's a shame that they had to wait so long, as no one gave a damn about them during the caretaker government...

The facts? You mean like Suthep dropping the effort to stop banks from granting loans to a caretaker government which didn't have the authority to seek those loans? The desperate search for money in State Banks, Pension Funds, anywhere where the caretaker government thought it might influence? Still ignoring that the Yingluck administration had said to need 270 billion Baht for the 2013/2014 RPPS and to have the funding. Months before dissolving the House bills weren't paid already and the caretaker government suddenly wanted to borrow 130 billion.

Those type of facts?

I give up, you did not understand my point, and maybe it's my fault.

I was looking at the fact that for Government mistakes and political obstacles farmer did not get payments for over 9 months...

If I wasn't clear I am sorry and I don't know how to explain further my point of view.

Peace.

Piichai I am aware of that, if the EC would have given their ok, I am sure that banks would have given their ok for loans as they do now.

I am not putting it on a political matter, but I am looking it from the farmers perspective. It's a shame that they had to wait so long, as no one gave a damn about them during the caretaker government...

Why would the EC, the CC or any other regulatory body give their consent for an action that is expressly forbidden in the constitution?

Keeping Thaksin happy is the purvue of PTP, not those sworn to uphold the law.