Small sedan for wife's niece?

She should really work herself and learn that money isn´t growing on trees, noone likes spoilt brats. Look at the "Civic Girl" or "Red Bull Heir" They´ve never learned anythingcoffee1.gif

Apart from that I would also say: Mazda 3, the best car in your price range right now. Everything else is either old stuff, ugly, a taxi or all of that.

Why no Mini? As money is not the problem then buy something that brings face and style wub.png

Nissan Sylphy, Toyota Altis, Honda Civic and Chevrolet Cruze. I don't normally buy cheap cars like this and from looking at the specs to me they all look like the same crap honestly. If anyone has a reason why one is better then the others or a recommendation from personal experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You mean inexpensive don't you?

I am sure some one in a position to afford the finer things in life,recognizes the difference between inexpensive and cheap, and realizes that calling the cars others drive " crap" is also rude.rolleyes.gif

My wife found out after some subtle fishing that she wanted the Cruze. We ordered one today.

Thx for all the replies guys!

A bad choice, check out the depreciation on them also a Chevy as poor quality as they come.
  • Like 1

My wife found out after some subtle fishing that she wanted the Cruze. We ordered one today.

A bad choice, check out the depreciation on them also a Chevy as poor quality as they come.

Is good..... if no one buys them how can you buy cheap 2nd hand ones ?

looks to be lots of 2012 LT and LTZ top models for around 500,000 baht, so maybe 2nd hand a good buy.

It's cheap ... why worry?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It's cheap ... why worry?

If it was cheap then fine..... came bottom of the class in 2012 and 2013.... Most of the car Mags: The Cruze is a budget car, and you can feel it in the way it drives. The ride has a jiggly quality, reliability is an issue.......

Lets not forget it is a old Daewoo Lacetti, re-badged Chevy

The all NEW Cruze due late 2014 or early 2015 is/will sort out all the present problems so say, all of reliability issues and heavy fuel consumption for its class........ no idea if the 1.4 Turbo will be in the Chevy Thailand line up. at least the new Chevy Cruze will be build on the Chevy/Opel Chassis

Edited by ignis

Does she have a job? Who is paying for the fuel? I realize it is a bit pedestrian to talk about costs but...

I would say the most economic. Otherwise it is like buying a battery powered toy for the child of a poor family.

Oh and younger generation may prefer a hatch not a sedan.

All good questions. And, also at that price I think she will only be able to get a "fairly warm" hatch. biggrin.png

Zoom - Zoom = Mazda 3 both Hatch and Sedan smile.png

English support from Mazda is appalling. Even the main support helpline cannot understand English. You are probably OK if you have a Thai friend to make calls for you. They do not have any email support which would help them a lot. Like most international companies, when they come to Thailand they forget English

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Dellie,

You say that "one of your wife's nieces" is turning 18 ...etc... so my question is ...what about the others??

Also, what about other family members? I don't even get a Happy Birthday email from my aunts/uncles, nor Xmas card, or anything. Obviously it is nobody's business, but we don't know who you are ...so I don't feel too rude asking you this. But this seems a bit overly generous and like if you do it for her, you must do it for others as well? I could understand with your own children, or even step-children, for safety etc ..and yes, "cheap crap" cars cost a lot here.

However, I wonder if even Warren Buffet would buy his niece such a gift for her 18th birthday??? Better to lay out for education or even a home, something considered an asset.

Well I certainly hope that you have your financial house in order, and are saving like 10 times, the amount of this gift, every year, towards retirement or disability or other types of "hard times." Really I should say I hope you are saving 50 times or more, your total gift expenditures each year, but not many people in the world have that kind of money. ( I mean, people who can save that, if they spend $30K or so on one gift this year ... I am feeling safe to assume you aren't in that kind of money ballpark. And well that is probably a good indication that you can't afford it, even if you THINK you can.)

You sound like you might not be being very financially responsible ...I really hope you will make sure to take care of yourself and your immediate family first. Sometimes when we make a good income, we tend to spend too much of it, as in all of it/or more, so take care please. Maybe you should check out "Suzie Orman" on CNBC on Sat and Sundays to get a clue if you are on track or not? Or read her books, or someone else's. I am a bit worried about you!! Well, REALLY worried actually.

Dellie,

You say that "one of your wife's nieces" is turning 18 ...etc... so my question is ...what about the others??

Also, what about other family members? I don't even get a Happy Birthday email from my aunts/uncles, nor Xmas card, or anything. Obviously it is nobody's business, but we don't know who you are ...so I don't feel too rude asking you this. But this seems a bit overly generous and like if you do it for her, you must do it for others as well? I could understand with your own children, or even step-children, for safety etc ..and yes, "cheap crap" cars cost a lot here.

However, I wonder if even Warren Buffet would buy his niece such a gift for her 18th birthday??? Better to lay out for education or even a home, something considered an asset.

Well I certainly hope that you have your financial house in order, and are saving like 10 times, the amount of this gift, every year, towards retirement or disability or other types of "hard times." Really I should say I hope you are saving 50 times or more, your total gift expenditures each year, but not many people in the world have that kind of money. ( I mean, people who can save that, if they spend $30K or so on one gift this year ... I am feeling safe to assume you aren't in that kind of money ballpark. And well that is probably a good indication that you can't afford it, even if you THINK you can.)

You sound like you might not be being very financially responsible ...I really hope you will make sure to take care of yourself and your immediate family first. Sometimes when we make a good income, we tend to spend too much of it, as in all of it/or more, so take care please. Maybe you should check out "Suzie Orman" on CNBC on Sat and Sundays to get a clue if you are on track or not? Or read her books, or someone else's. I am a bit worried about you!! Well, REALLY worried actually.

It is western man's perogative to get ass raped when living in the 3rd world, dontcha know?

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dellie,

Heh that's a funny post but I guess it might seem a bit strange for someone that doesn't know the whole story. This girl lived with my wife and I for the last 2 years because her mother is stationed at an embassy in South America. So we're pretty close to her. As for other nieces and nephews they are all adults allready. This girl is the youngest one.

As for my financial situation I don't need a lecture from some random stranger online but thanks for caring I guess. Don't you worry friend, I am very comfortable.

Dellie,

Heh that's a funny post but I guess it might seem a bit strange for someone that doesn't know the whole story. This girl lived with my wife and I for the last 2 years because her mother is stationed at an embassy in South America. So we're pretty close to her. As for other nieces and nephews they are all adults allready. This girl is the youngest one.

As for my financial situation I don't need a lecture from some random stranger online but thanks for caring I guess. Don't you worry friend, I am very comfortable.

Thanks for your answer ...however, I wonder why her mother/parents aren't buying this car for her?? Or why aren't they paying ...I don't know, let's say HALF of the car?? Would you feel the same about a niece/nephew in your home country? I did read your TV background and saw what kind of work you do, so I guess, you make a good income, although not sure how much that is, I know in Thailand, it makes many men feel very rich (and you save taxes? not sure but I think, so that is good.) But still ...would you care to comment if you make $300K a year ...because this car still would cost 10% of your total income. If you make $150K a year, it will cost 20% of your income. That isn't chump change. However, maybe you make $300K and live off $50K and the rest is saved or spent on things like cars for family members??

I mean, really, the only reason I write this, or what I wrote above, is with your best interest at heart, so don't feel so bad. People tend to get taken advantage of here, and get their ideas/morals/common sense, all out of wack due to various issues. I think it could be excessive to buy an 18 year old such an expensive car here. And I mean expensive, as according to what she will ever be able to buy herself. Or if she is from a rich family, then I guess her family could buy it. And also, many people don't seem to understand how much money they will need to save in order to be retired later, and be anywhere close to their current lifestyle. I mean, if you make $300K, are you preparing to have something like $5 million saved before retirement? Or more?

Anyway, I think you work in a dangerous field, no? Sometimes we expect our current incomes to last forever. Or only get better. I used to earn a ridiculous amount of money, I am pretty sure a few multiples of what you make, and then I got a serious illness, that was good excuse for my marriage to break up, and due to bad circumstances I probably ended up with 1/4 of my net worth, and was 39 and not able to work any longer. Because I was sick at the time, I also didn't give too much of damn about my divorce and was unable to really defend myself well. Now I dream about how much this or that $200K/300K here or there, oh that extra 100K I gave away, and this or that other thing, which adds up to most people's total "good retirement fund" ...well those funds could really help me now have a better life. I didn't expect to be sick forever. I didn't expect to never work again. I didn't have anyone to help me make better decisions.

So, in case you are one day in a similar situation, I hope you won't be counting the cars you bought some Thai people, who you are no longer much associated with, or totally divorced from, or even if with them, who cannot, or will not help you. And well, regretting those decisions. And you can't say that buying someone a car, really helped improve their life. If you had said, "I am paying for medical school, or even buying a small condo where she can live forever ... maybe a bit better?

But whatever, I guess you did it already. I hope you will think differently later, if things come up again. I mean, what will you do if the girl now wants school money, living money, has a medical emergency, etc. I mean, seriously, a $30K gift is a LOT of money.

And really so what if this girl is the youngest, do you think the older ones won't be wondering where their car is? How much older can they be? What about parents of your wife? Sisters, brothers?

Okay, I have said more than enough! Good Luck to you and I hope it will always go well for you and family!!

Dellie,

Thanks for your answer ...however, I wonder why her mother/parents aren't buying this car for her?? Or why aren't they paying ...I don't know, let's say HALF of the car?? Would you feel the same about a niece/nephew in your home country? I did read your TV background and saw what kind of work you do, so I guess, you make a good income, although not sure how much that is, I know in Thailand, it makes many men feel very rich (and you save taxes? not sure but I think, so that is good.) But still ...would you care to comment if you make $300K a year ...because this car still would cost 10% of your total income. If you make $150K a year, it will cost 20% of your income. That isn't chump change. However, maybe you make $300K and live off $50K and the rest is saved or spent on things like cars for family members??

I mean, really, the only reason I write this, or what I wrote above, is with your best interest at heart, so don't feel so bad. People tend to get taken advantage of here, and get their ideas/morals/common sense, all out of wack due to various issues. I think it could be excessive to buy an 18 year old such an expensive car here. And I mean expensive, as according to what she will ever be able to buy herself. Or if she is from a rich family, then I guess her family could buy it. And also, many people don't seem to understand how much money they will need to save in order to be retired later, and be anywhere close to their current lifestyle. I mean, if you make $300K, are you preparing to have something like $5 million saved before retirement? Or more?

Anyway, I think you work in a dangerous field, no? Sometimes we expect our current incomes to last forever. Or only get better. I used to earn a ridiculous amount of money, I am pretty sure a few multiples of what you make, and then I got a serious illness, that was good excuse for my marriage to break up, and due to bad circumstances I probably ended up with 1/4 of my net worth, and was 39 and not able to work any longer. Because I was sick at the time, I also didn't give too much of damn about my divorce and was unable to really defend myself well. Now I dream about how much this or that $200K/300K here or there, oh that extra 100K I gave away, and this or that other thing, which adds up to most people's total "good retirement fund" ...well those funds could really help me now have a better life. I didn't expect to be sick forever. I didn't expect to never work again. I didn't have anyone to help me make better decisions.

So, in case you are one day in a similar situation, I hope you won't be counting the cars you bought some Thai people, who you are no longer much associated with, or totally divorced from, or even if with them, who cannot, or will not help you. And well, regretting those decisions. And you can't say that buying someone a car, really helped improve their life. If you had said, "I am paying for medical school, or even buying a small condo where she can live forever ... maybe a bit better?

But whatever, I guess you did it already. I hope you will think differently later, if things come up again. I mean, what will you do if the girl now wants school money, living money, has a medical emergency, etc. I mean, seriously, a $30K gift is a LOT of money.

And really so what if this girl is the youngest, do you think the older ones won't be wondering where their car is? How much older can they be? What about parents of your wife? Sisters, brothers?

Okay, I have said more than enough! Good Luck to you and I hope it will always go well for you and family!!

The shorter version = A fool & his money are soon parted.

• Like 1

Dellie,

The shorter version = A fool & his money are soon parted.

Or in this case "parked "

Would I be out of order to call this OP a troll??

Putting aside comments about money, an 18 year old girl wants a sedan? And a Chevy?

Not an expert on 18 year olds but I am yet to see an 18 year old female choosing a sedan when a choice is given