What are we doing on TV?

n210mp

On my third large single malt and Max, eating a few nuts and getting pro active on the keyboard whilst listening to Dire straits “brothers in arms” Nirvana or what?

What could be better, stress gone, warm feeling from the whisky and lost in that eternal question that is common for the likes of those who are waiting for death?

Thinking about some (most) of the posters on TV and assuming like me they are a frustrated lot of people searching for the answer to a question that they have not yet asked or even thought aboutd?

As an aside, Just answered a PM from SC mentioning our common interest in cycling but I think that the cycling for him and certainly for me is a way to enter a world without involvement of others influences and therefore stress

Now for those who have got to this part of my post and who feel that their time would be better spent doing a crossword, ok no problem best wishes and goodbye.

The real reason for my post is that I wonder if there are people out there who are in fact just like me, been there done that, bought and made the tee shirt who are just whiling there lives out with all sorts of different obsessions, habit and indulgences that in a way keeps them sane. (In their opinion of course)

I was talking to a Laotian monk a few months ago as I am wont to do and we were talking about our various strategies for keeping sane ( at east to those who view us on a day to day basis) I asked him what was next on his agenda. (He is about 30 years of age, from Malaysia and an ex Mafioso)

He is indeed is a reformed character and older than his years and he said “My friend I am simply waiting to die”

I was shocked at his innocent and obvious honesty. I rebelled at his statement and asked of him how He could be so low or depressed that He could think in this manner.

His answer was so simple and genuine that I was distinctly moved.

So to all those posters like me on TV what are you doing, what are you waiting for?

Can you identify like me with this young Laotian monk ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm waiting for the next contract to start,then it's hi ho hi oh off to work I go.

Which in a way relates to your OP because I'm just working to survive and maintain a standard of living that I'm happy with,then one day it will all be game over.

At least I won't have to get up early for work when I'm brown bread.

What am I waiting for....for sleep to overtake me again after being woken from the late night shift worker snuggling in beside me. So no spiritual awakening here....sweet awakening thou now with "sweetie I'm cold give me a cuddle". Outa here....

The OP has a nice turn of phrase. In vino veritas, and I wonder if he overly exerted himself today or got slightly dehydrated as it is only his 3rd whiskey.

Myself, insomnia from a toothache has brought me downstairs to open the laptop. Common sense says take one Panadol plus one Neurofen, and go back to bed. I do the first, but wash them down with a bourbon and milk, and do not do the second.

I crave sleep but resist the urge to take more drugs. Perhaps another bourbon? But it's 5 am! Out of principle I can't. Besides, Wifey is up now and I should make her breakfast (she is currently the bread-winner).

Lets see what happens after she leaves for work.

• Like 1

I like posting on ThaiVisa because -- while it's fun to have people like what you post and say it's been helpful -- it's more fun when they disagree with you and call you e.g. a clueless idiot in need of rehab. On ThaiVisa makes no difference.

This is a post on a major NGO website involved in US Federal litigation where I posted in their defense under my real name. That others might disagree I guess makes a difference, but the civil society people already have enough cheerleaders proclaiming that they are on the side of good-against-evil (modified to foil a Google search):

Wow are you ignorant or just a huckster for xyz or maybe against (civil society persons) exercising their rights?

Or my favorite go to from The Sting (1973):

Hooker: I gave him the breakout just like you said.
Gondorff: And?
Hooker: 'S good. He threatened to kill me.
Gondorff: Hell, kid, they don't do that, you know you're not getting to 'em.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Give it a rest, Harvey.

OK Trevor,

A question for you personally

Are these one liners a quick way of increasing a posters post count or do they have something of value to add?

Of course I am against any form of censorship but do at times urge both myself and others to self censor on the basis that sometimes its better to say nowt than making an abstract remark that is intended to either demean or play down another persons point of view

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

On yer bike, pal

Which I will be SC, at around 9.30 am today in the pleasant company of the " Pattaya Jungle Hash house harriers" for a trip maybe up and around lake Mabrachan that will sweat out my misdoings of last night whilst under the influence of one of James (Jimbos) gifts of a single malt on his last visit (Not BKKJames I hasten to add)

...people searching for the answer to a question that they have not yet asked or even thought aboutd?

If you're searching for something you haven't thought about, wouldn't that imply you thought about it even if you hadn't formulated exactly what it was?

This sounds a little like the whole Schrödinger's cat thing.

186610.strip.zoom.gif

• Like 1

I think you really missed the point.....'the monk is waiting to die'.....

you don't understand what he is referring to

he is waiting to move on.....to a better life....for those that have figured it out....life goes on....their is only the death of the body....for those who don't figure it out....you get to come back and relive life in this world again and again....it's your choice of course....

I with the monk....can't wait to move on....I am not low or depressed....I just realize that this world has nothing to offer

just like most of the post on this site.

• Like 1

I look at the questions and sometimes am amazed with the stupidity some people go through life. In my last job, I was always told that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers... the opposite is proved to me by reading TV and a site called: good question (in the Netherlands)... Maybe I'm intollerant or I think that I'm very clever, but nonetheless I find that there are people out there who are able to ask things which are to stupid to bother to give an answer.

But there are also many interesting topics and questions and these make me curious...like the above one.

So, that's what I'm doing here... reading and thinking... it is fun.

Edited by Thaijack2014
  • Like 1

Is this similar to ambien writing, where later you ask "I posted what?" (I've done that with ambien and Amazon shopping).

The overall topic of the OP, if there is one, would have to be what the monk said. "...waiting to die." There's actually nothing monkish, brilliant, advanced in spiritual reasoing, or even remotely penetrating about this statement. Perhaps contemplating death in its varied forms is a cathartic, and the "risen" again sense we have is constructive- helps us deeply grasp impermanence; but this is not "waiting to die." I'd suggest your monk friend is not advanced for his years but rather childish. Anyone who is healthy that announced they are only waiting to die does not reveal a sage pearl, they reveal an apathy and preoccupation with a matter that clearly runs contrary to their faith's goal or intending what matters. I don't think any thoughtful monk or laymen would think it even suggested wisdom.

• Like 2

Well the last 2 posts certainly have tried to turn this topic around. While well-thought-out and I applaud the use of important sounding words like 'cathartic' and 'impermanence', the real question that needs answering is this...

Should one drink single malts and post on TV? TB or not TB, this is the question, consumption be done about it?

• Like 2