Apple IPad bought at I store.. crooks

robblok

I bought an Ipad for my dad (big mistake should have bought a Samsung). He took it home and the thing started to reboot multiple times and basically was bad. He brought it to the Apple store in the Netherlands and there they said no warranty.

The Ipad was bought in October 2013, but according to apple was activated in 2011. So no warranty.

The Istore is trying to get away from their responsibility. Dad is here with the I pad.

I can only say don't buy apple stuff from the i store (or no apple stuff at all)

Anyway tomorrow going to the shop again this time threatening with the consumer protection agency.

In my opinion real bad of Apple and the I store.

Never heard of Istore... does it have "Authorized Apple reseller" signs?

if not you are probably out of luck.... What price did you pay, was it a huge discount.... ? That would be a give away to it not being new... whistling.gif

You can check prices online at the Thai Apple store... (good way to buy)

Ibeats, BananaIT (same company) and Power Buy are authorized resellers.... Perhaps some others in BKK ....?

Edited by samuijimmy

I Studio is an authorized reseller of Apple, they have multiple stores throughout Thailand. Do you still have the receipt? Usually the IMEI or Serial number is mentioned as they have an electronic system, which is hooked to it. With that I would call Apple directly or go to their authorized repair center. I have bought multiple products from I Studio and have never been disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I Studio is an authorized reseller of Apple, they have multiple stores throughout Thailand. Do you still have the receipt? Usually the IMEI or Serial number is mentioned as they have an electronic system, which is hooked to it. With that I would call Apple directly or go to their authorized repair center. I have bought multiple products from I Studio and have never been disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have the receipt.. and they really wondered how come it was activated before but still made me contact apple and apple said no.

So basically they are telling me its my mistake even though the receipt with serial number shows that this device was already activated in 2011.

So a faulty device and no warranty. Even if it was a good device I would have been screwed on warranty. I find it real bad service of Apple.

Tomorrow going again.. we don't want a new ipad.. but a different one (this one is faulty but not all the time but back at the Apple store in the Netherlands they said it was beyond repair) .

So a different one with a good warranty from the moment of purchase.

What model did you think you purchased?

If it was originally activated in 2011 then it could be either an iPad 1 or iPad 2:

iPad 1st Generation, WiFi only -- released April 3, 2010
iPad 1st Generation, WiFi + 3G -- released April 30, 2010

iPad 1st Generation, either model -- released May 28, 2010 (International)

iPad 2nd Generation -- released March 11, 2011 (United States)

March 25, 2011 (International)

iPad 3rd Generation -- released March 16, 2012

iPad 4th Generation &

iPad-Mini 1st Generation -- released November 2, 2012

iPad AIR -- released November 1, 2013

iPad-Mini 2nd Generation -- released November 12, 2013

Does the Model/Serial number printed on the box match that of the unit?

Could be that:

1. someone wanted a newer unit and put an older iPad in the new box and then returned it
  2. someone needed balance the store inventory after an employee 5-finger discount.

Something does not smell right and I am

Not sure from which end.

Apple brings out new models every year, usually by the 3rd year the one from the first is no longer sold.

So if you bought it in 2013, though now it's 6th month into 2014, it would of been a model from 2011, which they stopped selling at the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

I think you should call apple worldwide care and find out exactly what the situation is. If I studio indeed selling old models as new, apple worldwide will act on your behalf

Something does not smell right and I am

Not sure from which end.

Apple brings out new models every year, usually by the 3rd year the one from the first is no longer sold.

So if you bought it in 2013, though now it's 6th month into 2014, it would of been a model from 2011, which they stopped selling at the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

I think you should call apple worldwide care and find out exactly what the situation is. If I studio indeed selling old models as new, apple worldwide will act on your behalf

sounds like it was a returned item - possibly it had a fault, or maybe probably had a fault and still has that fault - and the vendor has resold the item as new.

if you have the receipt then you should be fine. make sure you speak to the store manager, dont get fobbed off. take an 'educated' thai with you who speaks English and has the confidence to stand up to another thai.

i know its of no help to the OP but my advice is not to buy expensive electronic or photographic items in thailand. they are usually cheaper in the UK anyway (even after thai VAT refund) and if you have a problem you know its going to get solved. always keep the receipt.

Yes basically they sold me a second hand ipad for new. It was sealed in the box I never knew. I gave it to my dad and he took it to the Netherlands. Then the problems started. Reboots, apps not starting ect. He brought it to apple care in the Netherlands and they said it had been activated on itunes in 2011. So no out of warranty.

He came back to Thailand 2 days ago and we went to the Istore, they admitted they sold it said it was new at that time and cant explain why it has been activated before. So far so good they accepted that this was the item they sold (bin had the serial nr on it).

Now the strange part they made me contact apple instead of doing it themselves and taking care of it. It was their responsibility, they told me take a picture of the bill and let Apple reset the warranty. Apple did not agree.

I am angry that they did not take care of it but let me do it. So much for great Apple service. So today I will go back with the email from Apple and a the number of the consumer protection agency.

The problem is the Ipad sometimes works but Apple in the Netherlands said it cant be fixed.

Bought it 10 November 2013 and returned it yesterday. It is an Ipad 2nd generation, just wifi that was all he needed.

If its any comfort my ipad 2 & 3 would crash when loading web pages with lots of pics. My samsung galaxy tab would do it too my note 3 gmail crashes regularly.

My current nexus 10 from 7/11 thailand crashes a lot less then the others but about twice a month. In retrospect my desktop I5 never crashed. I am not sure why these tablets crash but i havent had one that i would call 100% stable.

I wouldnt say Apple has done anything wrong but it seems istudio is the one you should be angry with.

Edited by yankee99

If its any comfort my ipad 2 & 3 would crash when loading web pages with lots of pics. My samsung galaxy tab would do it too my note 3 gmail crashes regularly.

My current nexus 10 from 7/11 thailand crashes a lot less then the others but about twice a month. In retrospect my desktop I5 never crashed. I am not sure why these tablets crash but i havent had one that i would call 100% stable.

I wouldnt say Apple has done anything wrong but it seems istudio is the one you should be angry with.

I studio is a re-seller of Apple.. its between the two of them not me. So I hold them both responsible.

Best thing would be get some money back and buy a Samsung. (highly doubt i see any money so not going to ask for it)

Other options .. new ipad2

Refurbished one with same warranty as the original one

Newer Ipad and pay some extra money (though actually the Ipad2 would be best suited)

We are not talking about websites that are crashing here.. apps not starting the ipad reboots for hours (apple icon) has been restored more then 10 times even fresh installs and even in the Netherlands at Apple they say its not repairable.

Anyway as an official re-seller of Apple I hold Apple as responsible for it as the seller. This a problem between them and should not include me.

• Like 1

I might have to eat my words later and apologize if a good solution is reached. And I will of course if it happens. Gf just called to the person who helped us yesterday and we told us that Apple wont change the warranty. He said there is a good chance we will get a new Ipad 2.

If this happens I will say that the service is good.. except for the fact that we had to contact apple and arrange this about the warranty. But the end result would be good and then I would consider it good service and ill eat my words.

Just looked totally different yesterday.. but ill keep my fingers crossed because it has not happened yet.

I had a warranty case a while back. My advice is to deal with Apple directly. Resellers here only sell. My case was solved to my satisfaction only after I dealt with Apple directly. Just don't take no for an answer. You have the proof in the receipt.

I had a warranty case a while back. My advice is to deal with Apple directly. Resellers here only sell. My case was solved to my satisfaction only after I dealt with Apple directly. Just don't take no for an answer. You have the proof in the receipt.

I am dealt with apple.. they said.. tough luck according to us the Ipad has been activated in 2011.. tough luck. Great service not sad.png (i did send them a scan of the bill)

However it looks like Istudio are taking responsibility, and will change the Ipad for an other. But this has not been done yet. The old Ipad has to be send out first (no idea why) and then wait for an other. Will see if they keep to their word, it might take a while.

However it looks like Istudio are taking responsibility, and will change the Ipad for an other. But this has not been done yet. The old Ipad has to be send out first (no idea why) and then wait for an other. Will see if they keep to their word, it might take a while.

This is normal. iStudio are not an authorised repairer so the unit has to go to one for evaluation. My Apple TV went kaput and iCare, not iStudio, at Seacon Bangkhae did the diagnostics and then Apple replaced the unit with a new one. Took about 2 weeks from memory. Remember to chase them up though.

Also don't be surprised when they replace the unit that your warranty may only run until the original iPad's warranty expiry date. That's what happened with my Apple TV anyway.

This is normal. iStudio are not an authorised repairer so the unit has to go to one for evaluation. My Apple TV went kaput and iCare, not iStudio, at Seacon Bangkhae did the diagnostics and then Apple replaced the unit with a new one. Took about 2 weeks from memory. Remember to chase them up though.

Also don't be surprised when they replace the unit that your warranty may only run until the original iPad's warranty expiry date. That's what happened with my Apple TV anyway.

What you are saying about the warranty seems fair enough in my book. I just hope everything is done before my dad has to go back.

Sounds like Istudio sold you a used unit as new. Somebody activated it in 2011. I would demand Istudio replace it with a new unit. Whatever the circumstances are, Istudio is responsible, not Apple.

I purchased my Macbook from iStudio Phuket. Got a bit worried so checked the warranty online. It was ok.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

In the case you have been sold used device as new, it might be useful to mention that your time is not free and you have used considerable amount of time trying to solve this issue?

We are still waiting to see, Monday will call again or go there. And yes they sold a 2nd hand unit as new. They say they were not aware of this. I would be happy enough with a new unit no need to get paid for time. Just a new unit as time was spend back in the Netherlands and now here.

Istudio says they were not aware of the mistake. Fine...excrement happens. But it is still their responsibility to make good on the deal, and nobody else's. I would get firm with them on your next visit, demand to see a manager, and not leave the store without a new unit. It sounds like you have been very patient and understanding with them. But they are stalling around, and there comes a time when enough is enough.

• Like 1

Istudio says they were not aware of the mistake. Fine...excrement happens. But it is still their responsibility to make good on the deal, and nobody else's. I would get firm with them on your next visit, demand to see a manager, and not leave the store without a new unit. It sounds like you have been very patient and understanding with them. But they are stalling around, and there comes a time when enough is enough.

^^Although these tactics might work in the west. In thailand its step by step and demanding to see the manager will most likely get him no where. My guess is they are going to try and fix it and if they can they will reluctantly replace it but the op will need patience which can take w couple weeks.

Yankee99, you are of course correct that one must be patient in Thailand, and tread softly. But it is also true that if you never change tactics, they will take advantage of your good nature and do absolutely nothing to right their wrongs. I have learned from experience that when you have been "screwed" on a product or service, starting off gently and with a smile is indeed the way to go. But when they start denying their obvious wrongdoing, a little Western firmness is necessary to change the direction. I have been sold defective items, and when I return them, have listened to the most laughable excuses I have ever heard. When I make it clear that I'm not going to put up with their BS, the whole scenario magically changes. I'm not saying to be an ass and make unreasonable demands, but stand up for your rights, and do not let them walk all over you. I see Thai customers doing this all the time, but Farangs are expected to bend over and take it. The OP appears to have given Istudio enough time and opportunity to make good on their bad deal. Trying to shift the blame to Apple or anyone else is ridiculous. They sold him a used item as new, plain and simple. They should be trying their best to compensate him instead of just stalling and hoping he will disappear.