I've often wondered why a small country with no neighboring threats would have such a large military

jaideeguy

Independent countries in difficult environments maintain their independence by being unattractive to invaders. That is why Switzerland and Singapore have such vigorous National Service requirements. Thailand uses their military for emergency purposes,whether it be shoring up inadequate flood defences, or shoring up inadequate rule of law.

SC

EDIT: Out of interest, would you consider Thailand a small country, and would you consider China, Myanmar or Cambodia, as potential threats? Would you consider the insurrection in the Malay provinces of Thailand as a potential threat? To what extent does a strong military prevent wars (I suggest you ask the late Neville Chamberlain about this...)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Thailand isn't a small country, it has more people than France or the UK.

There are real threats in the neighborhood, this is a dangerous part of the world. Myanmar is a large country with a powerful military, China is nearby and a growing superpower that feels they can take what they want, there is an Islamic/Malay insurgency in the south that has killed thousands, in the past Vietnam was a very real and dangerous threat and there were many border skirmishes when they ruled Cambodia in the 80s, etc. Look what is happening to the Philippines, who basically have no navy or air force, they are being pushed out of their territory by the Chinese.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the aircraft carrier that was bought to fight off the threat from Laos (a landlocked country), anyone remember the trips round the bay where tourists were being charged for a trip round the carrier in Sattahip?

Reminds me of the aircraft carrier that was bought to fight off the threat from Laos (a landlocked country), anyone remember the trips round the bay where tourists were being charged for a trip round the carrier in Sattahip?

I trust that when my civil government can no longer be trusted, the military will remain loyal to the crown and the country, and help us out of the morass into which our venal democracy may bring us. I imagine the Thais think the same

SC

• Like 1

Small country? With neighbors like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar? They'd better have a large army.

Yes because Laos could send it's only helicopter and 3 50 year old fighter jets to invade.

perhaps u should read some history, the pathet lao handled americans and thais pretty well

Laos wasn't the ones invading Thailand and the USA. Maybe you should put your book back on the shelf and think about how ridiculous it is to suggest that Thailand needs the huge army it has because of little old Laos being its neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Laos wasn't the ones invading Thailand and the USA. Maybe you should put your book back on the shelf and think about how ridiculous it is to suggest that Thailand needs the huge army it has because of little old Laos being its neighbor.

nobody said they weere but in a fight they had little trouble with thai soldiers

Canada's army is probably smaller than Laos lol you are really stretching now.

that doesnt answer the question. why do those countries all have standing armies? what makes them different than thailand?