Drivers License Points - Actual or not?

bino

I can remember several years ago - about 2002 - that Thailand introduced a drivers license demerit point system. From what I remember, 10-40 demerit points applied to your license depending on the severity of the offense. Once 60 points was reached, the license would be suspended for a period of time, 90 days if I recall correctly.

Is this system actually functional? Does anyone know?

Naturally, if you pay on the spot there is no record and no points, but if you take the ticket and pay at the station, are the points applied?

I have recently been hit by the speed camera and received a fine in the mail with a nice picture of our car. Ms. Bino has also been hit.

What happens in a situation like this? Whilst the license plate is clearly visible and there is no mistake that it is our car, the reflection on the windshield makes it impossible to identify who is actually driving.

The car is actually registered to her, so if I am driving do points get applied to her?

Lastly, is there any way to find out your point balance?

Anyone know? Anyone who has had experience with this?

The demerit points are the nastiest part of getting a ticket in Canada. The insurance companies are in tune with this, and annual premiums are adjusted drastically depending on the number of points you have. Does that apply here as well?

Can the speed camera read your driver's licence number? If not, pretty hard to prove what driver was speeding I would imagine.

Easy solution, they put the points on the DL of who ever the car is registered to.. ....that's what they do in other countries and then the onus is then on that person to prove it wasn't them driving..wink.png

Can the speed camera read your driver's licence number? If not, pretty hard to prove what driver was speeding I would imagine.

If there's a photo of you at the wheel, the car is registered in your name and they ask for your d/licence then you really don't have a leg to stand on.....unless you want to take it tot court?

If there's a photo of you at the wheel, the car is registered in your name and they ask for your d/licence then you really don't have a leg to stand on.....unless you want to take it tot court?

a lot of ifs.

I wear my sunglasses, have tinted windows and the car is registered in my wife's name who doesnt have a license. lol

also, forgot to add, what about rental cars and people with International Driving Licenses. They gonna mail the points to them?

Edited by bkkjames

The Clarkson solution - a Nissan GTR and a mask of Bill Oddie's face. thumbsup.gif

Points are no problem for rental cars elsewhere. If your license is out of state / international the points don't apply but there is usually an admin fee to absorb any benefit.

A speedster friend told me the Thai system is to block renewing rego if outstanding speeding fines unpaid. Apparently demerit points still not used.

Easy solution, they put the points on the DL of who ever the car is registered to.. ....that's what they do in other countries and then the onus is then on that person to prove it wasn't them driving..wink.png

How would that work in the case of fleet operators... trucking companies, taxi operators, etc? The company owner gets a gazillion points and license suspended for life?

also, forgot to add, what about rental cars and people with International Driving Licenses. They gonna mail the points to them?

I used to deliver rental cars in Canada when I was a lad, and the rental contract was cleverly written such that we could whack your credit card after the rental for any parking tickets that came in the mail. This was long before the advent of speed cameras, so I would guess that they do the same for any costs, but don't know what happens to the points.

I used to deliver rental cars in Canada when I was a lad, and the rental contract was cleverly written such that we could whack your credit card after the rental for any parking tickets that came in the mail. This was long before the advent of speed cameras, so I would guess that they do the same for any costs, but don't know what happens to the points.

well take pattaya for example. rent a car / truck from one of a 100 places. pay cash...mail the points / speeding ticket to sergei in leningrad. :)

a lot of ifs.

I wear my sunglasses, have tinted windows and the car is registered in my wife's name who doesnt have a license. lol

A IDP is a copy of your own country's licence with your details on it. So that wouldn't be too hard to find.

As for duplicitous ownership etc....well in UK they ask the owner to declare the driver. They are legally obliged to o this and t fines for not doing so are incredibly steep, so they are under a lot of pressure to say who it was. An MP got in a load of shit about this a couple of years ago because he claimed his wife was driving when it was in fact his good self.

This isn't hard to set up - it really depends on whether the authorities can be bothered to enforce it......so far that seems to be a no-no. However if the new army appointed police chiefs are not corrupt and more efficient we could see a whole new regie in policing in Thailand - and couple that with matial law and you could be in serious trouble if caught lying about drivers.