Visa requirement

What would be required to satisfy this requirement.

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for long-term stay:
You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

Sounds like a banking requirement. Just try a different bank - or even a different branch of the same bank -- they apply their "rules" somewhat haphazardly ;)

The way that requirement is written demonstrates yet again the misconception that you stay in Thailand because you have a visa. Not so - you enter with a visa and may (or may not) be given a "Permission to Stay" based on tourism, work, marriage, retirement, education, whatever. This can be extended up to a maximum of one year depending on type and/or circumstances.

Sounds like a banking requirement. Just try a different bank - or even a different branch of the same bank -- they apply their "rules" somewhat haphazardly wink.png

The way that requirement is written demonstrates yet again the misconception that you stay in Thailand because you have a visa. Not so - you enter with a visa and may (or may not) be given a "Permission to Stay" based on tourism, work, marriage, retirement, education, whatever. This can be extended up to a maximum of one year depending on type and/or circumstances.

Not an option.

I have had the account for about 15 years and the online banking for the last 5 years. The bank is planning to introduce a new version of the online banking in July and have asked that I visit a branch and have my data updated before the 27th June. The OP was an extract from the email which was obviously a mass mail.

The account was originally opened on visa exemption and when I went to online banking there was no visa check, it was done on Tabian Baan. Looks like they are doing a visa check on all foreign users of online banking.

No problem with the account service, that will remain as normal even if I lose the online banking.

I think it means having an extension of stay that has at least 9 months remaining on it.

What is it for?

If you are right, it may well mean that in due course online banking is only available to people with extension of stay or work permit.

Which bank ??

It is TMB. It is not a branch issue the email came from head office in which they said I had not submitted the correct documents when I opened the account. Only submitted what they asked for, and that was over 4 years ago.

I have been down to the branch today and as it happens saw the the same lady as when I opened the account. She was unaware of any changes and could not get hold of anyone at head office that knew anything about the email. Said she would try and find out and let me know.

There is something in the pipeline as they now say on the website that the limit on Internet banking transfers would be raised from 50K baht to 500K baht from 1st July.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. Was down in Pattaya yesterday so decided to go to the Pattaya TMB branch as I had heard nothing from Chonburi. It was a good move, the lady there knew exactly what I was talking about. It would appear that when I opened the second account information supplied was not posted to the original account, that was opened about 14 years ago on visa exemption and staying in a hotel.

She rechecked my passport, tabien baan and marriage certificate, did a printout of the updated profile which I had to sign. It would appear that revised BOT regulations require that for all new account applications, applicants must have work permit or have some form of long term stay, Non O multi is considered ok. TMB have said that existing accounts will remain but unless you comply with the regulations Internet banking will be removed.

We had mentioned about the response at Chonburi and she said that many banks,including their own branches, that were not used to dealing with foreigners were unfamiliar with the changes and that it was something that the BOT were looking into.