Recommend a place to check out, not too far from Chiang Mai - Not Pai

banagan

Hi guys. I'd like to check out another city or town close enough to Chiang mai, like 2 - 4 hours by bus away.

I've been to Pai a couple of times, so would like to check out somewhere else.

Just looking for a nice, interesting spot to spend a few nights and chill out.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lampang or Lampun but maybe not two nights. Don't know about nightlife. It's interesting to check into a "resort" in one of these provinces and then explore the countryside during the day using a bicycle provided by the resort. Better to do in cool season, though. Edited by NancyL

• 2 months later...

I want to say the obvious....starts Chiang R., now with redesigned landscape....

......but I think its a trick question.

I thought the op was dying.....sad.png  happy to see i was wrong thoughwink.png

Exactly!

When I want to check out, I think I will get a massage first at the most expensive place in Thailand I can find, with special oils and fragrances.  It would really be money well spent.

I was up at Monjam yesterday.  Beautiful area.  You can rent little cabins, tents or a proper guest house.  The prices are higher but you'll have spectacular views.  I guess you can probably find a van or something that goes there.  We always take the scooters.  Right now it is rainy but I think mainly in the afternoon.  I actually want to try it out during a rain storm.  Would love to watch that from a mountain top.

Yes, Chiang Dao comes to mind.  Or past Pai anywhere in between Pai and Mae Hong Son town.

Chiang Rai I think is kind of 'meh'.  I'd go to Phrae first then. Although there's not much to do in town there either.

(The good thing about Pai is that you have all the scenery nearby, AS WELL AS some vibrancy in town for a drink, a smoke, or to shop for some interesting stuff.  That's hard to find elsewhere.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I was up at Monjam yesterday.  Beautiful area.  You can rent little cabins, tents or a proper guest house.  The prices are higher but you'll have spectacular views.  I guess you can probably find a van or something that goes there.  We always take the scooters.  Right now it is rainy but I think mainly in the afternoon.  I actually want to try it out during a rain storm.  Would love to watch that from a mountain top.

Monjam? Where's that?

Monjam? Where's that?

about 90 minutes, more or less north of CM.  At the top of a mountain.  Here is a map link.  http://goo.gl/maps/XlK5Z  Spelling can vary.  MonCham, Monjam, Mon Cham etc.  

Edited by beb

Monjam? Where's that?

about 90 minutes, more or less north of CM.  At the top of a mountain.  Here is a map link.  http://goo.gl/maps/XlK5Z  Spelling can vary.  MonCham, Monjam, Mon Cham etc.  

Thank you very much. But it can't be "Monjam". Anyone have the Thai spelling or Royal Thai transliteration? I'm not being pedantic - I had never heard of it, so thanks again!

Monjam? Where's that?

Nice map feature thanks. And not far from town too.

Take the mini bus to Pai. ?Rent a motor bike and get out into the country there are several little villages surrounding Pai. No night life in them and accommodations are extremely Spartan most of the time.

In the rainy season they use a 4 by 4 to get up the roads as they can be very muddy.

Monjam? Where's that?

Thank you very much. But it can't be "Monjam". Anyone have the Thai spelling or Royal Thai transliteration? I'm not being pedantic - I had never heard of it, so thanks again!

I've seen it all three ways but the pronunciation by my Thai friends is closer to Monjam than Moncham.  If you do a google search, I bet the thai version will pop up somewhere.