Unprofessional and unskilled English Teacher's do you feel guilty?

Display

To the OP ... I'm confused.

Are you disapointed that your gf lent her sister the money ?

Or are you decrying your perception of what the English Camp will be like ?

If it's your gf's money ... then it's her money and no recourse back to you.

Unless you are going to the English Camp ... is it really your business?

It's not you going to the English Camp, it's not your kids going to the English Camp ... so two degrees of separation

between yourself and the aggrieved action.

Life here is much easier if we let others make their own choices and we don't interfere and try and make it for them.

• Like 2

To teach a language, does 1 need to be a native speaker ?

when i did my CELTA the only student to get an A grade came from Ukraine and was an excellent English teacher.

everyone else, all native speakers, got C.

i was one of only two students who received a B grade whistling.gif

To the OP ... I'm confused.

Are you disapointed that your gf lent her sister the money ?

Or are you decrying your perception of what the English Camp will be like ?

If it's your gf's money ... then it's her money and no recourse back to you.

Unless you are going to the English Camp ... is it really your business?

It's not you going to the English Camp, it's not your kids going to the English Camp ... so two degrees of separation

between yourself and the aggrieved action.

Life here is much easier if we let others make their own choices and we don't interfere and try and make it for them.

To answer your question.

Yes I have the right to intervene as I have a lot of respect for my GF and that will luckily flow towards her family. I have met her sister kids and their great and was impressed at least with the eldest that wanted to speak English with me.

I don't mine the money as its no problem for me but I would like my GF sister that struggles with money that wants the best for her kids and to get what she is paying for!

Who do you think pays the bills? I am in the privileged position to do so! Although my GF still wants to pay her way which I encourage! As she is my GF not my wife!

I have been here long enough to know the story in Thailand and maybe I am one in million but Thailand has been good to me!

Edited by Display

I agree that some non-native speakers with very heavy accents shouldn´t be teaching, but there are a lot of foreigners (like myself) who have trained and achieved a near perfect accent and are therefore very much qualified to teach if we have the linguistic knowledge.

Accents aside, I believe that non-natives often have much greater knowledge of English than natives, since the natives simply have acquired the language, and not really learned it.

You're quite right with that last sentence, except perhaps for extent of vocabulary. My wife is Thai and an English teacher. She can tell me exactly why a sentence is grammatically wrong whereas I just "feel" it is wrong or maybe don't even realise that it's wrong. Her vocabulary is not as vast as mine, but it is extensive enough for us to be able to talk for hours on any subject and only occasionally ask for clarification.

But you said "Accents aside". Therein lies the rub. At my wife's school there is an English teacher from India. From my experience with Indians, I guess his vocabulary is more than adequate and his technical knowledge might be excellent, the problem is that nobody can understand him, not even my wife and she has been living in a completely English speaking country. I have yet to meet him but I don't anticipate any problems as I am used to the accent but it would be hard for many NES's let alone Thais

But, accents aside, what I find disturbing is NES's who don't have a good grasp of their own language. A chap from some part of London who says things like, "I'd like some of them ones over there" and uses double negatives all the time, or even look at the appalling spelling and grammar, and limited vocabularies on this forum from supposedly NES's. It may be all well and good enough for primary school because the students only need the basics, but once a student is at vocational level or even before, they should have a better class of teacher.

Yes, I felt guilty!

I was teaching for a year and half when I first arrived in Thailand. I'm was your classic TEFLer. No genuine qualifications for teaching, just took some poxy TEFL certificate from the UK and before I knew it I was stood in front of 40 kids 'teaching' in Thailand.

Although I tried my best and worked hard, the longer I taught, the more of a fraud I kind of felt. I was only teaching to be able to earn a salary and stay in Thailand. I was more of a babysitter than genuine teacher. However, none of this seemed to matter to the bosses of the school, one of whom started to cry when I told her I would be leaving at the end of term, which was quite bizarre!

Also, I've come to realise that I am a massive hypocrite. Going down the TEFL route to earn some money was fine for me a couple of years ago. However, since becoming a father, I now realise that my daughter may end up being taught by someone like me - (an unqualified farang, with zero experience, who was only 'teaching' to pick up his 30,000 THB at the end of the month). Suddenly that's not OK when the shoe is on the other foot. I don't want my daughter to be taught by some farang numpty.

And some of the standards of farang 'teachers' I have seen in Thailand (and I include myself in this) are shockingly bad. Guys just giving colouring in worksheets to kids every lesson. One guy running through a role play of how to buy an air conditioning unit, where kids needed to identify specific make and model - to a class of 8 year olds. Another guy stuggling to get through the 7 times table, again when teaching 8 year olds.

I don't want that for my daughter but it's funny how my opinion has changed.

And people call Thai kids stupid - well is it any wonder with the standard for farang teachers they have teaching them!

you think the thais teach english any better?

• Like 1

I think that non-native speakers, such as the Scottish and Liverpudlians, should be given the chance to teach English too once they pass a IELTS test or whatever it's called.

I disagree with you. You let the Scots in, then you may as well let in Kentuckians.

Or Cajuns!

I work in the field and have met "qualified" teachers with the right degree, that are shit teachers. I have also met some with nothing more more than a 4-week TEFL certificate that are really good. I think a passion for teaching and caring about the students is more important than having the right qualifications. Even dodgy teachers care more about learning than the school management. As far as non-NES, I have met some ESL people who speak better English than some native speakers...just saying.

I agree with you; however, I also know people with no driver license who can drive better than people who have had one for years.

That is all fine and good, as long as the driver with no license knows that if he/she makes a mistake, then he/she will be held accountable for breaking the rules and will have to deal with the consequences.

cheesy.gif shocking!

Oh dear

I don't profess to be an English teacher dear boy, but seeing as you feel obligated to correct my work in the style of a typical TV English Nazi, one suspects you must be rolleyes.gif

Maybe I should employ you as my proof reader, sure you could do with the money...thumbsup.gif

I think that non-native speakers, such as the Scottish and Liverpudlians, should be given the chance to teach English too once they pass a IELTS test or whatever it's called.

I disagree with you. You let the Scots in, then you may as well let in Kentuckians.

Or Cajuns!

I think in the UK context... Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle...are the most least understandable accents, even for people from the UK

• Like 1

I agree that some non-native speakers with very heavy accents shouldn´t be teaching, but there are a lot of foreigners (like myself) who have trained and achieved a near perfect accent and are therefore very much qualified to teach if we have the linguistic knowledge.

Accents aside, I believe that non-natives often have much greater knowledge of English than natives, since the natives simply have acquired the language, and not really learned it.

People from the north of England and Scotland are speaking English as native tongue yet....they are often impossible to understand. Little Thai kids with Geordie accents? Nooooooo ;-)

"Unprofessional and unskilled English Teacher's do you feel guilty?"

They would probably feel guilty if they could spell it.

Four pages of discussion of English teaching and apparently no one spotted the erroneous grocer's apostrophe in "teacher's", quoted above. sad.png

• Like 1

Why I ask this is because my GF sister's kids that live in the countryside with their grandma were calling their mum that does not have a lot of money asking could they get money for an English Learning Weekend Camp.

Now she didn't have the money for it but felt bad so she borrowed some cash of my GF to pay for it.

Now I know enough that most of these Falang teachers on these English Camp are not even trained teachers and a lot of them are not even Native English speakers!

I think this is wrong! What is your opinion?

As far as I can tell from what is a remarkably badly written OP, you don’t actually know anything about what happened at the camp or about the teachers; your complaint seems to be that your assumptions make you unhappy. What do I suggest? Get a set of assumptions which makes you happy.

Edited by Zooheekock

Its not the certificate you have, its how much time and effort is put into the craft.

Actually when it comes to teaching it's ability and knowledge that matter, not certificates or effort.

By the way, both the "its" in your sentence quoted above should be "it's".

• Like 2

I've taught IELTS exam preparation courses for a few years, so I am reasonably familiar about the requirements and exams. Your accent has no bearing on the grade that you achieve in this exam (there is no 'fail' grade). It is a test of reading, writing and verbal comprehension/grammar, not a test of your accent. Even the examiner may have a regional accent, (although not a strong accent which would normally be considered as difficult to understand).

In my IELTS classes, my students practice listening to British, American, Australian, Indian etc accents, and I then 'shock' them by playing conversion in 'Geordie'!

Having said that, I really don't think it is fair on the students (of any age), if their teacher speaks with a strong, regional accent or 'foreign' accent. A Thai who learns to speak with a Geordie accent is doing himself/herself no favours at all, (unless they work in the Newcastle dockyards....)

Edited by simon43

Dusplay,

Your writing sample makes it sound like English is not your native language? Are you trying to ask a question or a dig at English teachers? Here is my response...

Like all products or services some are of high quality and some are poor. If one does their own research, one can distinguish between what meets their objectives and ones that don't cut the mustard. No different than researching a car, a medical provider or a tennis program....

Rather than spout generalizations and negativity, do your homework and you will reach a meaningful conclusion if this is worth moving forward...

CB

I'd hate to be paying for my kids to be taught English by some who identify themselves as English teachers, and post here.

Some are incapable of spelling even simple words, use appalling grammar, and their grasp of the language is tenuous at best. Some are even NES!!

I think if a person intends representing himself as an English teacher, and is prepared to be paid for so doing, he should be toward the top of the literacy spectrum.

Kids poorly taught will carry those inaccuracies through their lives, never being able to correct them.

CB, are you an English teacher?

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

To teach a language, does 1 need to be a native ?

I think its a good start to be native at least! As just yesterday I was speaking to a friend of a friend that is Chinese's and he is a qualified Chinese teacher here in Bangkok, and he was joking to me that there are French and Spanish English Teacher here in Thailand with heavy accents. He taught it was hilarious!

Don't shot the messengers here please.....

Hmmmm..i come from The Netherlands and it is mandatory that kids start to learn 3 other languages when they start high school. English, french and german. Do you really think that we have thousands of natives from those countries teaching their respective languages ?

Agree. When I went to high school one language I had to learn was Latin. Not too many native Latin speakers around in those days.

• Like 1

To teach a language, does 1 need to be a native speaker ?

Good point!

To teach ANYTHING what is the most important is to LOVE to teach......I saw in my life very many unmotivated and boring "professional" teachers...farangs and natives......and a lot more in Thailand than anywhere...Thai English teachers mentally abusing its students with demands, indifference, and discrimination....

The best English teacher in Thailand I know is an American 80 years old retired lady that do not have any degree. She is a landmark in her north Thailand big town..She do not only loves to teach...she loves to learn. She speaks Thai perfectly....something I don't, even close to my poor English...

My respects Judith!

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1