Vegetable prices in Thailand reported to decrease

webfact

Vegetable prices reported to decrease

PNECO570530001000301_30052014_124644.jpg

BANGKOK, 30 May 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Commerce has reported that many vegetable prices have decreased, while the pork prices still remain stable.

The Minister of Commerce has updated the prices of vegetables in the market, saying that the prices have fallen recently. The current prices of Cantonese Morning Glory ranged from 22-25 baht per kilo and Chinese Morning Glory at 15-18 baht per kilo.

However, pork prices were seen to be somewhat stable at 150-155 baht per kilo, a whole chicken at 70-72 baht per kilo. Number-2 sized eggs were selling at 3.70-3.80 baht per egg.

Cauliflower prices were at 18-20 baht per kilo, cucumber at 22-25 baht per kilo, long beans at 40-42 baht per kilo, onion at 50-60 baht per kilo, and parsley at 120-130 baht per kilo.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-30 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

I got my wife to order a whole hind leg of pork last Saturday and the pork lady delivered it on Sunday. 1,650 baht for 11 1/2 kg, bone in and skin on but no trotter. 150 baht/kg in the local village market at Klong Lan, Khampaeng Phet province.

My wife deboned it and de skinned it which was a bugger as I was going to make roast pork with crispy crackling. No matter as there will be plenty of pork scratchings to be had.

• Like 1

This is straight out of the military propaganda playbook. 20% variation in price spreads. Lol

These blokes are so 1950 its incredible. Next it will be the dangers of communism. Please rewrite your playbook.

I'm a little lost. Reporting food prices is out of the military propaganda playbook? Or is it that the price spread is mandated to be 20%? Are you suggesting that the numbers are fake? What are you saying? Please clarify because it sounds like an interesting comment if it was just clear.

• Like 1

How can prices come down when there is a drought. Drought = less water to irrigate = lower supply = higher prices. White lies, the same as the article saying there will not be water supply problems while we know there are already areas where the taps are dry.

• Like 1

How can prices come down when there is a drought. Drought = less water to irrigate = lower supply = higher prices. White lies, the same as the article saying there will not be water supply problems while we know there are already areas where the taps are dry.

So you suggest that the Shinawatra's are still in power???

This is straight out of the military propaganda playbook. 20% variation in price spreads. Lol

These blokes are so 1950 its incredible. Next it will be the dangers of communism. Please rewrite your playbook.

The comment sounds like communist/redshirt propaganda......

• Like 2

So you suggest that the Shinawatra's are still in power???

Saving face is more important than the truth, so it doesn't matter who is incharge.

So prices magically stopped rising ?

How do they calculate this rise and fall . Price vary greatly depending on the market (and its location and how much the locals can afford to pay ) and if it is a supermarket then it will be a lot more expensive. Is it wholesale price they do there calculations on?. There is rise and fall depending on the season and environmental conditions like too little or too much rain. It sounds like another piece of bullshit to me .

• Like 1

I'm a little lost. Reporting food prices is out of the military propaganda playbook? Or is it that the price spread is mandated to be 20%? Are you suggesting that the numbers are fake? What are you saying? Please clarify because it sounds like an interesting comment if it was just clear.

Just visit any market and ask yourself is it possible prices are going down? The inflation here has been dramatic over the past few years. Oranges have gone from 25 baht per kilo to 50 - 80. Watermelon has doubled. Pomelo has doubled. Meats have doubled. Shall I go on? Who presided over this enormous increase?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am somewhat skeptical of pricing reports following significant social events. I am equally skeptical of abbreviated counterclaims that seem to lack supportive, independent, verifiable data.

Just visit any market and ask yourself is it possible prices are going down? The inflation here has been dramatic over the past few years. Oranges have gone from 25 baht per kilo to 50 - 80. Watermelon has doubled. Pomelo has doubled. Meats have doubled. Shall I go on? Who presided over this enormous increase?

Can you narrow it down to the province and/or town? I paid 10 baht for three ears of corn at VM in Pattaya. I haven't seen much movement upwards in proper supermarkets, but then again I can't speak for traditional marketplaces. Milk (2000 ml) did go up 50 Satangs, which I realize doesn't fit into the produce category.

Oranges are dear no doubt. Apples likewise. I do feel for the locals who do not have the resources to absorb any cost increase.

I am somewhat skeptical of pricing reports following significant social events. I am equally skeptical of abbreviated counterclaims that seem to lack supportive, independent, verifiable data.

So, other than seasonal changes, have you ever heard of food getting remarkably cheaper anywhere in the world anywhere?

I expect these stories about prices being stable or reducing to continue regularly. Expect stories of social harmony and happiness to spring forth also.

Good news for Thais is bad news for Thaksin and his supporters. Sad.

The comment sounds like fascist yellow propaganda!

The comment sounds like fascist yellow propaganda!

This is amusing, right now im in the UK and prices here on vegetables and food are often similar and many cheaper than Thailand now.

Pork can be had at 150 bht a kilo already boned ... chicken same price but more meat and better quality, milk 50 bht for 2.2 litre, limes double the size and cheaper, onions can be had for 20 bht a kilo and all manner of other vegetables especially salad much cheaper, eggs class 1 10 for 50 bht. I also forgot how varied and fantastic flavour the fish is here compared. And ohhh salmon is a delight when youve not had it for years.

True prices do vary but all those above prices can easily be found in various supermarkets, street market grocers or meat traders can and are often even cheaper

I was surprised to say the least, its been a few years since i went back for a visit.

Thats a free and competitive market for you i guess.

Edited by englishoak

But the price of banana has gone up :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Aaaaagggh.

Be gone pessimist. If you don't like their version of the news I am sure someone here will tell u where to go.

:(

But the price of banana has gone up :(

Aaaaagggh.

Be gone pessimist. If you don't like their version of the news I am sure someone here will tell u where to go.

:(

Hey I was only joking. Of course we all know that Thailand has not only the cheapest but most bountiful and beautiful vegetables which are not only the envy of the neighbouring countries but also Europe and the Usa.

The only reason they even charge anything for them is not to shame our neighbours by showing how really cheap they are.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

This is amusing, right now im in the UK and prices here on vegetables and food are often similar and many cheaper than Thailand now.

Pork can be had at 150 bht a kilo already boned ... chicken same price but more meat and better quality, milk 50 bht for 2.2 litre, limes double the size and cheaper, onions can be had for 20 bht a kilo and all manner of other vegetables especially salad much cheaper, eggs class 1 10 for 50 bht. I also forgot how varied and fantastic flavour the fish is here compared. And ohhh salmon is a delight when youve not had it for years.

True prices do vary but all those above prices can easily be found in various supermarkets, street market grocers or meat traders can and are often even cheaper

I was surprised to say the least, its been a few years since i went back for a visit.

Thats a free and competitive market for you i guess.

That is part of my original point. I wonder, at what point in terms of pricing of restaurants, hotels and food, will tourists prefer to choose locations with better infrastructure, real law and order, etc., over Thailand? How much higher will prices have to go before they lose their tourism markets. I frequently hear thais saying nonsense like Thailand is cheap. Everything in your country is more expensive. Such nonsense. Many things in the US are far cheaper. I pay dearly for some of my favorites here. Granted local produce is still reasonable. But the days of cheap are a distant memory.

• Like 1

Can you narrow it down to the province and/or town? I paid 10 baht for three ears of corn at VM in Pattaya. I haven't seen much movement upwards in proper supermarkets, but then again I can't speak for traditional marketplaces. Milk (2000 ml) did go up 50 Satangs, which I realize doesn't fit into the produce category.

Oranges are dear no doubt. Apples likewise. I do feel for the locals who do not have the resources to absorb any cost increase.

Gosh. I didn't realize that Pattaya is so cheap. I always assumed (without any facts) that the cost of living would be high there. Corn in chiang mai is 20 baht for 2 ears, and has been for a long time. Thanks for the info!