Chiang Mai to Vientiane Visa Run - Is Border Open?

My girlfriend and I were about to head out to buy bus tickets for our visa runs to Laos but then heard via Twitter that due to the coup that the border crossing was closed. We've been looking everywhere on Thai news sites and can't confirm this. Anyone have any information on this? Is it closed or is it just a rumor? Please help! We have to leave asap!!!

yep...it's open, border is practically empty! There is a military checkpoint right as you get to the border, just before the U-turn. The border was closed to Thai citizens though...maybe someone else has a new update on this?

The Lao gov. has been discouraging them to cross, so not much going on there either.

Edited by Lee4Life

Negatory brother bit of a hoax. I was in Laos when I heard that, sh!*, sh!* myself till I hit the border, apparently Thai's can't get out on some land crossings though and in Laos they were stopping some people from doing "turn-arounds" i.e. making them stay the night. If ya got the time and inclination better of heading to Savannakhet the consulate there is far more accommodating and a lot less busy than the embassy at Vientiane. Better yet fly if you can no drama at airports and you will get a longer extension. Good luck.thumbsup.gif

Went through Monday. Horrendous queues though. Stayed the night in Vientiane. Picked up passport Tuesday came back Tuesday night. Many people including me dead scared at prospect of being rejected but nobody I saw had any problems. Tip: at Laos border pay in US dollars ... 36dollars or 1500baht

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. Any advice on the best/cheapest way to come back from Vietiane to Chiang Mai?

why don't you just get a thai ed visa and take thai language class for 5 years.. then switch to german language after.. then you don't need any stupid visa runs for 10 years.

We aren't looking to stay in Thailand for much longer than 9 months so getting an education visa wouldn't make too much sense.

Went through Monday. Horrendous queues though. Stayed the night in Vientiane. Picked up passport Tuesday came back Tuesday night. Many people including me dead scared at prospect of being rejected but nobody I saw had any problems. Tip: at Laos border pay in US dollars ... 36dollars or 1500baht

Do you need to bring $36 in exact change? Can I bring $40 and get change?

Thanks for the input everyone. Any advice on the best/cheapest way to come back from Vietiane to Chiang Mai?

why don't you just get a thai ed visa and take thai language class for 5 years.. then switch to german language after.. then you don't need any stupid visa runs for 10 years.

We aren't looking to stay in Thailand for much longer than 9 months so getting an education visa wouldn't make too much sense.

Take a minivan from the border to Udon Thani airport. (200 baht)

The take a Nok air flight from Udon Thani to Chang Mai. (1200 baht)

I guess the bus would be cheaper but to my mind paying a little extra to fly makes sense. It will cut your journey time by about 6 hours.

Do you need to bring $36 in exact change? Can I bring $40 and get change?

You can get change...just don't pay in Thai Baht...the exchange they give you is horrible. I think overnight Bus to Udon and then the Udon/Nongkhai van will be the cheapest as far as I know.